+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Shreveport vs. Grambling Attendance

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

Re: Shreveport vs. Grambling Attendance

16,636 in 2000.

20,433 in 2001.

Varsity Bulldog MikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Not meant as racial. Sorry if it came across that way. I think you will find me VERY non-racially oriented. :icon_wink: We use that word here a lot. Talking smack to teams you are playing is very common. However, I am hoping this game gets friendlier vibes than our other opponents. We are too close to have an all out smack fest. However, as the game gets closer, it will heat up some.

I am, honestly, still in basketball mode. I LOVE this time of year! Not being a huge baseball fan (even though I cheer for Tech), I can't stand the Spring and Summer. :icon_wink: When August hits, I will be pumped and ready for some football!
    Not at all... I was letting you know that my comment wasn't racially motivated. Guess we are both being politically correct (and in this instance, I don't think that's a bad thing) in order to convey the message and not a mentality!

As for smack talk... it is often best done with someone that you know or who you're familiar with and then in person. Words typed in jest might not come across that way. I'm more of a baseball and football fan but I too like good basketball. Right now, our men basketball and baseball is having some growing pains with two young coaching hires. We got to support them and help turn things around.

Varsity Bulldog MikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    We played them last in 04 or so. Dooley had no plans to play them but the admins may change their minds. They didn't benefit ticket sales as much as you'd think.

We recently got home/home contracts with Miss St, Southern Miss, Houston, Army, and Navy. I rate all of those as better for our program than ULL.

I like the formula of 1 or 2 body bag games, one FCS game, and then filling out the rest with high profile home/home games.

A lot of the reason we quit playing was perception - we struggle more in this state than in others. That is also why ULL changed their name - to try and get more recognition by using the "University of Louisiana" name.
    See the emboldened statement... I don't blame you guys if you were able to get that type of home and home deal. Also that means ULL might be more willing to play in the next Port City Classic, not sure on if they even recruit the Northwest portion of the state or not. We only have 2 slots available for non-conference games and I'd like to see 1AA's and above only on our schedule. Ideally for us, a FBS in the Port City Classic and a FCS ranked program as a home and home...preferably an in-state school initially.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBigg View Post
    See the emboldened statement... I don't blame you guys if you were able to get that type of home and home deal. Also that means ULL might be more willing to play in the next Port City Classic, not sure on if they even recruit the Northwest portion of the state or not. We only have 2 slots available for non-conference games and I'd like to see 1AA's and above only on our schedule. Ideally for us, a FBS in the Port City Classic and a FCS ranked program as a home and home...preferably an in-state school initially.
    The Northwestern game was part of a home/home, correct?

I don't remember the last time ULL recruited a north LA kid.

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    The Northwestern game was part of a home/home, correct?

I don't remember the last time ULL recruited a north LA kid.
    Yes it was a home and home... I actually wanted to play one of the other La Southland School at home this year as part of a home and home.

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MACHIAVELLI View Post
    Grambling should never play tech in Ruston. Any Grambling AD that would agree to that would be looking for a job the very next day.
    JSU has played Mississippi State in Starkville. Both JSU and Alcorn have played Southern Miss in Hattiesburg. Should their AD's be fired too?

The ULM game was (imo) scheduled based on the reasoning that they would possibly make a return game with us either at our place or neutral site like Shreveport.

Another reason that I have is the "neighbor" aspect of things. Let's keep it real, some of us Gramblinites feel that we need to be in competition with La Tech for recruits and status... to come to your place to help enhance your attendance number without (and I understand the FBS not coming to FCS field) a return game is not acceptable. Why? Because you are Tech and we're not going to help build up your program without a certain degree of reciprocity in terms of benefitting the Grambling program. That may not sit well with some of the Tech folk but I'm gonna be honest... those of us who felt we would have kicked your butt (as in some instance you would have kicked ours) prior to you becoming FBS and getting the scholarship advantage, don't want to do anything to help you widen the gap at our expense.
    I see where you are coming from here, but again, the JSU and Alcorn games listed above were done without any return games. Why should a Tech-Grambling game be any different?

It bothers me to see folks from either side saying this game shouldn't happen. I believe I am on record on this board for YEARS saying this game should be played. It makes too much financial sense not to do it. If Tech is going to play a 1-AA school either way, why in the world shouldn't we play the team that will make the most money (for all parties) and create the most fan interest? As far as playing it in Shreveport vs Ruston, it makes no difference to me. I would love to see JAS sold out, but if there is more money and media exposure to be had in Shreveport then by all means, let's go there and play.

I live in Mississippi so I got to witness first hand the media attention and fan excitement that came from the MSU and USM games against in-state SWAC schools. I am friends with fans from all five schools involved, and to a person they all loved those games and thought it was great fun for everybody involved. The MSU fans in particular loved having JSU visit and getting to see their band. It made for a much more exciting atmosphere than the typical non-conference game against a team nobody is interested in. They can't wait to have them back. Same thing with the USM folks. They had big attendance and everybody had a fun time at the game. I see no reason the Tech-Grambling game should be any different, and it bothers me to see so many people getting in pissing matches over every little detail. I don't recall seeing anything like this over here in Mississippi when we had our 1-A vs. SWAC matchups. If anything this game should be better than the Mississippi versions given the close location and friendly relationship between the schools.
    Last edited by NathanDarby; 03-01-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Varsity Bulldog Cactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really nice Cactus Rob's Avatar

It bothers me to see folks from either side saying this game shouldn't happen. I believe I am on record on this board for YEARS saying this game should be played. It makes too much financial sense not to do it. If Tech is going to play a 1-AA school either way, why in the world shouldn't we play the team that will make the most money (for all parties) and create the most fan interest? As far as playing it in Shreveport vs Ruston, it makes no difference to me. I would love to see JAS sold out, but if there is more money and media exposure to be had in Shreveport then by all means, let's go there and play.

I live in Mississippi so I got to witness first hand the media attention and fan excitement that came from the MSU and USM games against in-state SWAC schools. I am friends with fans from all five schools involved, and to a person they all loved those games and thought it was great fun for everybody involved. The MSU fans in particular loved having JSU visit and getting to see their band. It made for a much more exciting atmosphere than the typical non-conference game against a team nobody is interested in. They can't wait to have them back. Same thing with the USM folks. They had big attendance and everybody had a fun time at the game. I see no reason the Tech-Grambling game should be any different, and it bothers me to see so many people getting in pissing matches over every little detail. I don't recall seeing anything like this over here in Mississippi when we had our 1-A vs. SWAC matchups. If anything this game should be better than the Mississippi versions given the close location and friendly relationship between the schools.[/quote]

Amen Darby

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Whoa, I see where ulm has 5 "Home" games scheduled this year.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TECH88 View Post
    Whoa, I see where ulm has 5 "Home" games scheduled this year.
    Six counting Little Rock.

See you east side, top, north forty in September??

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Ordered 6 chairbacks for Shreveport game today. Sales seem to be good.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

I renewed my season tickets and got my tickets to this game this very morning. I don't get chairbacks. I don't plan to be sitting much.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    Six counting Little Rock.

See you east side, top, north forty in September??
    If I'm breathin', I'm there!

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TECH88 View Post
    If I'm breathin', I'm there!
    If not, you could always go Weekend at Bernie's style.

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all... I was letting you know that my comment wasn't racially motivated. Guess we are both being politically correct (and in this instance, I don't think that's a bad thing) in order to convey the message and not a mentality!

As for smack talk... it is often best done with someone that you know or who you're familiar with and then in person. Words typed in jest might not come across that way. I'm more of a baseball and football fan but I too like good basketball. Right now, our men basketball and baseball is having some growing pains with two young coaching hires. We got to support them and help turn things around.
    No kidding on that one...I saw your baseball coach being interviewed after the Centenary game and would have bet large dollars he was a player!!!! No way he is older than 22-23.

Looking forward to Labor Day weekend, and I am glad we are playing y'all in Shreveport, it will be a blast.

+ Reply to Thread