+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NCAA FB rule proposals for 2011

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

Re: NCAA FB rule proposals for 2011

Remember a Tech receiver getting a 15 yd penalty for signalling a first down. Of course it was vs USL in their stadium.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    Should making the "first down" signal also be a penalty? Receivers do that frequently.
    I hate that crap too. Catch the freaking ball and go back to the huddle. Again, I'm not calling for regulation. I'm just expressing my feelings about celebrations. I'm with those who don't like subjective penalties. I don't have a solution. I'm just a bitcher on this debate.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    not really, taunting is bad sportsmanship. Celebrating with your own teammates is one thing, but showboating by yourself or in the face of an opponent should not be allowed.
    Why not? (at least in a limited fashion.)

I understand that few people want to return to the days of the old Miami Hurricanes (e.g., Catholics vs Convicts, etc....)...but you have to admit, it was VERY entertaining.

At some point, you have to quit treating college players like little kids. Treat them like adults. If they taunt someone, and it badly reflects on thier university, then so be it. If their taunting causes the next oponent to whip them badly, then so be it.

Nothing was more satisfying to many college football fans than when Miami U got off that airplane wearing army fatigues at the Fiesta Bowl in 1987, and then suffered a loss in the national championship game to Penn State. That loss made Miami's taunting look childish.

Must we over police everything?

I'm not a big "rules" person. I still wish you could block below the waist because it was a guaranteed way for the little guy to get even. :icon_wink: But, the football gods decided too many little guys were beating up on big guys, so they changed the rules to favor big people. That only took the "little guy" out of the game. But it didn't make the game any better.

Same with these new QB protection rules. If you can't take a hit from the DL, then maybe you weren't intended to QB in the NFL for 15 seasons. Protecting the QB from truly late hits is fine, but some of the new rules are absurd. Maybe 10 seasons should have been your limit.

HD

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by louisiana_dog View Post
    I feel you should be allowed to celebrate to a degree, but, taking the score away? Really? That is over the top for me. Lets go ahead a put a red jersey on the qb during the games too and not just in practice. Some rules are getting out of hand.

In fact, lets make a rule that if you beat a team by 5 TDs, it will go do as a lost for you because of bad sportsmanship
    Agreed. I also think BOTH teams should get a trophy too. Even the losers. Wait a minute......better yet, let's DON'T KEEP SCORE!!!:icon_wink:

HD

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    I hate that crap too. Catch the freaking ball and go back to the huddle. Again, I'm not calling for regulation. I'm just expressing my feelings about celebrations. I'm with those who don't like subjective penalties. I don't have a solution. I'm just a bitcher on this debate.
    Okay. . . so what if the QB, the TE, the RT, LT, RG, RT all in unison signal first down . . . like many do when they see they've made a first down?:bigcry:

This rules revision is opening a can of worms. MD's buddy, Benson, will be clueless on what to tell his game officials.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    ...but you have to admit, it was VERY entertaining.
    False

If they taunt someone, and it badly reflects on thier university, then so be it. If their taunting causes the next oponent to whip them badly, then so be it.
    True. Also, we as fans can stop watching if we choose to. Regulation is almost never the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    The proposed rule change isn't as over the top as this post about it was.

If a player points back to taunt an opponent in the field of play before a TD, I have no problem with no score being awarded. It won't take but one or two of those calls in high-profile situations to get that type of taunting out of the game, and that will be a good thing. Diving into the endzone unsportsmanlike fouls won't likely take a score away though. .
    Why? How is that a GOOD thing?

Maybe you're one of those "rules" people.

See....we're already disagreeing about it. You think pointing a finger is taunting, but diving into the end zone is okay. Some of us disagree.

As Champ110 already said, it's SUBJECTIVE. And THAT'S the problem. I don't want football to be like figure skating events in the olympics: totally subjective. Then we'll always have to worry about the Russian judges.

HD
    Last edited by HogDawg; 02-15-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Regulation is almost never the answer.
    QFT

Why? How is that a GOOD thing?

Mybe you're one of those "rules" people.

See....we're already disagreeing about it. You think pointing a finger is taunting, but diving into the end zone is okay. Some of us disagree.

As Champ110 already said, it's SUBJECTIVE. And THAT'S the problem. I don't want football to be like figure skating event in the olympics: totally subjective. then we'll always have to worry about the Russian judges.

HD
    Or when SEC officials flag us for celebrating after scoring a touchdown at South Carolina.

You may hate it, but some of us LOVE it.

Come on Sooner, since when did you become a big "rules" person. I always thought you were concerned about a persons rights and liberties. :icon_wink:

HD

False

True. Also, we as fans can stop watching if we choose to. Regulation is almost never the answer.
    But fans DID NOT stop watching, did they? They actually became MORE and MORE interested in the Miami Hurricanes.

HD

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

HD
    Then you probably enjoyed the all star game last night. Did you sit courtside?

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Come on Sooner, since when did you become a big "rules" person. I always thought you were concerned about a persons rights and liberties. :icon_wink:
    HD
    Flag on the play- personal foul HD, 15 yards, still 3rd down!!!!

HD
    I have another over regulation I want to complain about. Why is it a rule that women have to wear their tops? I maintain it is subjective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q08pM8OF_Q
    Last edited by Soonerdawg; 02-15-2010 at 01:51 PM.

But fans DID NOT stop watching, did they? They actually became MORE and MORE interested in the Miami Hurricanes.

HD
    That's my point. It is a decision those who are trying to make money have to make. It chases me off, but probably brings in 100 vacuous, maloderous types.

+ Reply to Thread