View Poll Results: Which QB do you expect to do best in spring?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Colby Cameron

33 17.93%
  • Ross Jenkins

38 20.65%
  • Doak Raulston

102 55.43%
  • Hardin or other

11 5.98%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which QB do you expect to look the best in spring ball?

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Re: Which QB do you expect to look the best in spring ball?

I just think it's gonna be an all-out battle to win the job. And I think it could be any one of four -- Jenkins, Raulston, Cameron or Hardin. But I think somebody is gonna have to WIN it. I don't think anybody will be the leading candidate going into the competition.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I just think it's gonna be an all-out battle to win the job. And I think it could be any one of four -- Jenkins, Raulston, Cameron or Hardin. But I think somebody is gonna have to WIN it. I don't think anybody will be the leading candidate going into the competition.
    My thoughts as well.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Spot on post.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Okay, when you start lumping me in with Dawg80 it is time for reevaluation.

I had already checked to see who you voted for and understood where you were coming from. I used the post to you to draw out other posters. One already has.:icon_wink: To him and the others who voted for R.J....A QB coach can't fix what we saw last year. Maybe the surgery helped.
    Oh, I think he can- I just think it will be a process. Of course you never know how RJ is going to play given a good QB coach either. I think it is a toss up and I think we may see RJ start the year and end up with a different QB later on in the season. I don't think we will see the dramatic change overnight that some expect.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Personally - I don't think RJ will be willing to pay the piper to do what's necessary to get back into the good graces of this staff after his transgression....

I think SD will use this situation to draw a clear line in the sand, discipline wise, with his team - and while I think the punishment and required work entitled to get back on the team will be fair, it will be a STEEP price to pay physically (i.e. run, run some more & then run some more) and time wise (i.e. LOTS of community service) -

I just think when it comes time to weighing his options he will take the transfer route to a FCS program and play immediately -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    Remember, a large part of success is reading the defense before the snap. The only person we can evaluate on this is RJ, and he was pretty good at it from Dooley's comments.

Another significant required ability is making quick reads. We haven't rooted for a high quality quick decision maker in quite some time.

Next you need accuracy and a fast release.

Mobility comes into play after that.
    Sorry, but "reading defenses" was one of RJ's major drawbacks. He just couldn't do it. He also struggled with the "fast release" point you mentioned, often holding the ball too long.

Granted, RJ was probably the most mobile QB we had, but he quit using this big advantage over much of last season (something I never understood).

In light of the events of last week, I agree with the posters who say we may have seen the last of RJ.

HD

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Sorry, but "reading defenses" was one of RJ's major drawbacks. He just couldn't do it. He also struggled with the "fast release" point you mentioned, often holding the ball too long.

Granted, RJ was probably the most mobile QB we had, but he quit using this big advantage over much of last season (something I never understood).

In light of the events of last week, I agree with the posters who say we may have seen the last of RJ.

HD
    I meant pre-snap reading, which Dooley said and I believe. Not to be confused with "making reads" after the snap.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    I meant pre-snap reading, which Dooley said and I believe. Not to be confused with "making reads" after the snap.
    Dooley never demonstrated to me that he knew enough about "making reads" on offense to make that judgement. For the most part, Dooley's offenses were impotent, and certainly moreso in the passing game.

There's a lot of things I liked about AD Dooley, but the "passing game" of Coach Dooley wasn't one of them.

HD

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rphdawg View Post
    Dont forget...Hardin shined in this style of offense before he signed with USM.

I expect Jenkins to transfer to SHSU after the DUI and lost season of riding the pine at LaTECH. He no longer fits into our plans.
    This is why I voted for hardin. Not convinced he will win, just took a long shot.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Dooley never demonstrated to me that he knew enough about "making reads" on offense to make that judgement. For the most part, Dooley's offenses were impotent, and certainly moreso in the passing game.

There's a lot of things I liked about AD Dooley, but the "passing game" of Coach Dooley wasn't one of them.

HD
    I agree HD. DD wasn't an X's and O's guy period.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    Oh, I think he can- I just think it will be a process. Of course you never know how RJ is going to play given a good QB coach either. I think it is a toss up and I think we may see RJ start the year and end up with a different QB later on in the season. I don't think we will see the dramatic change overnight that some expect.
    So this is why you think RJ will LOOK the best during spring? That was the poll question. I repeat. A QB coach can't coach what R.J. lacked last year.

Champ zharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant future zharkins's Avatar

I think Jenkins was good at identifying when a certain run play could be successful given the defenses alignment. I don't think he was good at knowing whether the outsidle linebacker would be dropping into coverage right where a 5 yard slant is supposed to go in the split second he has to pull the trigger on the throw.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zharkins View Post
    I think Jenkins was good at identifying when a certain run play could be successful given the defenses alignment. I don't think he was good at knowing whether the outsidle linebacker would be dropping into coverage right where a 5 yard slant is supposed to go in the split second he has to pull the trigger on the throw.
    that's what I meant

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    So this is why you think RJ will LOOK the best during spring? That was the poll question. I repeat. A QB coach can't coach what R.J. lacked last year.
    I haven't seen anything from anyone yet- I certainly hope I am wrong. I do know what I saw last year didn't give me much hope. The fact that no one beat him out last year is kind of scary.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    The fact that no one beat him out last year is kind of scary.
    Nobody beat him out to be the best game manager last year. That's not really a guage of who the best QB was. Dooley wanted somebody who would follow instructions. Ross was the best at that.

I still don't understand why so many expect him to look the best in the spring.

+ Reply to Thread