View Poll Results: Which QB do you expect to do best in spring?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Colby Cameron

33 17.93%
  • Ross Jenkins

38 20.65%
  • Doak Raulston

102 55.43%
  • Hardin or other

11 5.98%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which QB do you expect to look the best in spring ball?

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Re: Which QB do you expect to look the best in spring ball?

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post

I still don't understand why so many expect him to look the best in the spring.
    Aren't polls funny? I also wonder if the expectations may influence the opinion of the actual performances.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    Aren't polls funny?
    Yep, anytime I hear poll results I think of Leno's "Jay Walking". Those are the type folks who respond. No offense to anybody who picked R.J. of course.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Nobody beat him out to be the best game manager last year. That's not really a guage of who the best QB was. Dooley wanted somebody who would follow instructions. Ross was the best at that.

I still don't understand why so many expect him to look the best in the spring.
    Even if you favor a more agressive style, game management is part of the QB position. No matter how wide open your attack is and how hard your QB can throw, if he can't handle the clock the way you want or read the defense (before the snap) or get the calls right (especially in a no-huddle offense) or make sure everybody else is lined up right and has the correct play, then he's at a disadvantage.

I understand that the game manager part of the job is the part that you can actually teach (unlike speed or reaction time). I get that.

I just think that maybe 1.5 years of starting experience gives you an advantage even in learning a new system.

Plus I haven't watched warm-ups.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Yep, anytime I hear poll results I think of Leno's "Jay Walking". Those are the type folks who respond. No offense to anybody who picked R.J. of course.
    No offense taken either - you know what they say about opinions..... I guess you can question people until the game. Hopefully then the answer will be clear. And, I hope I am wrong.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Even if you favor a more agressive style, game management is part of the QB position. No matter how wide open your attack is and how hard your QB can throw, if he can't handle the clock the way you want or read the defense (before the snap) or get the calls right (especially in a no-huddle offense) or make sure everybody else is lined up right and has the correct play, then he's at a disadvantage.

I understand that the game manager part of the job is the part that you can actually teach (unlike speed or reaction time). I get that.

I just think that maybe 1.5 years of starting experience gives you an advantage even in learning a new system.

Plus I haven't watched warm-ups.
    Being able to throw a football ranks up there pretty high too.

Yeah, I saw who you picked.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Being able to throw a football ranks up there pretty high too.
    Granted.

Champ 1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light

i heard from a pretty good source that Raulston is very raw and may not be ready yet, especially with a change in scheme, and that Burch will need (and wants) a redshirt year. No mention of Cameron. Prior to DWI, i expected jenkins to be the starter due to experience. not sure how DWI will affect things.

Quote Originally Posted by 1L_dawg View Post
    i heard from a pretty good source that Raulston is very raw and may not be ready yet, especially with a change in scheme...
    I heard from a VERY good source that he was the best QB we had last year and that he is ready to go.:icon_wink:

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

If I were picking right now, here is how I would expect them to come out of spring camp -

Raulston - clear 1
    Cameron - toss up
    Hardin - toss up

I don't think Jenkins is part of the equation at all due to the DUI and Burch will redshirt -

SD will not name a starter until the 2nd week of fall camp -

However, you will see two QBS take the field this fall and probably split the snaps 2/3 & 1/3
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ 1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light

I heard from a VERY good source that he was the best QB we had last year and that he is ready to go.:icon_wink:
    since he is no longer here, i can reveal my source; it was Dooley.:icon_wink:

Champ rphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the rough rphdawg's Avatar

Dewayne and I agree

I still expect RJ to transfer after the spring to get closer to home. I know I would want my son home if he got a DUI.

Varsity Bulldog cherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I don't think Jenkins is part of the equation at all due to the DUI

I don't think that he's part of the equation because he lacks the ability to pick a receiver out of multiple options and release the ball quckly enough. He struggled with only one or two real options to throw to last year - there is no way that he will be able to go through his progressions and release the ball quickly enough with the offense we will be installing. He just lacks that ability, which will be crucial in the new offense.

Champ SixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of light

1. It would surprise me quite a bit for Ross to leave. He likes Tech and is actually a pretty decent student. Even if he were to drop off the depth chart altogether (which I don't think will happen), I think he would stay and graduate.

2. I voted for Ross. Not because I like him as a person, but because I was answering the poll question.

The person who will 'look the best' (very subjective, btw) to me will be the person who exhibits the best poise, the highest confidence, and the most dynamic on-field and sideline leadership. While I do like Doak (I really hope he turns out to be all we hope he can be), and I know he could probably put on a passing clinic for all of the QB's on our roster (the kid has the prettiest spiral I've ever seen in person), I don't think he's going to beat out RJ in my three criteria.

I think spring ball observations are overrated. Don't forget that the most impressive QB out of spring ball last year ended up as a TE by season's end.

Puppy 87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears

Really kills me how people say "clear choice" etc when we havent even seen the kid play. Everyone always wants to pull for the unknown...we havent seen enough of any of the others to truly make an opinion, cameron included. Who knows ensminger may even be our guy.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

i heard from a pretty good source that Raulston is very raw and may not be ready yet, especially with a change in scheme, and that Burch will need (and wants) a redshirt year. No mention of Cameron. Prior to DWI, i expected jenkins to be the starter due to experience. not sure how DWI will affect things.
    since he is no longer here, i can reveal my source; it was Dooley.:icon_wink:
    Well that explains it... RAW to him means attempting downfield passes, not yet locking onto 1 WR or taking the checkdown RB out of the backfield, and not yet audibling into the delay/draw for 2/3rd's our Offensive plays.

:icon_wink:

+ Reply to Thread