+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non-AQ Spring surprises

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Re: Non-AQ Spring surprises

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    Thing is, I saw the spring game, the Nevada game, the Navy game, the Auburn game, the LSU game, and all the home games. So out of 13 games, I watched 9 and my humble evaluation of Ross follows:

Happy feet in the pocket.
    Can scramble out of the pocket "Romo-like".
    Never really good at the deep ball, or at least not consistent with it.
    Often telegraphed his decision to DB's, LB's.
    Not too resilient after picks or turnovers.
    Seemed like an emotional leader though, keeping the offense calm when needed.

It's true, we wont know anything more until Spring practices, but I think the door is WIDE open given Ross' run-in with the law, a veteran offensive line to protect a young QB, and a new offensive school of thought.
    And I'm not sure that any of our QBs have a consistent deep ball, which is probably why Ross has been starting so long.

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    And I'm not sure that any of our QBs have a consistent deep ball, which is probably why Ross has been starting so long.
    That's where Raulston and maybe, possibly Burch come in.

Varsity Bulldog cherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nice

We don't necessarily need a "deep ball" threat. What we need with the new offense is a QB who:

1. Knows the offense;

2. can read the D before the snap,

3. Can check through multiple options (rather than obviously locking on just a primary target), make a quick decision after the ball is snapped and pull the trigger, rather than holding the ball for more than a few seconds;

4. and can throw the ball to short (i.e., screens, flares, etc) and medium (i.e., slant, crossing, etc.) routes with some degree of consisitency; and

5. an added plus would be some mobility.

I don't think that RJ has a cannon for an arm, but he doesn't throw a lot of wounded ducks, either. The only thing that RJ really struggled with at times (sometimes critical times) last year was requirement number 3, but that is of course a critical requirement in the new offense. Whether or not that problem stems in whole or part from "Dooleyphobia" (i.e., the inordinate fear of making a mistake that manifests itself into playing not to lose, rather than playing to win) has yet to be seen. We shall see soon enough.

I can't really form an informed opinion regarding the other QBs save for CC, and even his time was too limited to really get a feel one way or the other. There is no way to know which of the QBs has that innate sense that will be required under the new system, until we give them all multiple chances to pick up the basics of the system and prove themselves.

What we desperately need at a minimum is a "system QB"; i.e., a QB who picks up and thrives under the new system. That may or may not be the prototypical dropback passer or the prototypical scrambler. The real issue will not be one of who's got the biggest arm or the fastest feet; rather, the issue will be: Who makes the right call from multiple options, while thinking on his feet?

Anything beyond a system QB is just lagniappe that increases the effectiveness of our offense (perhaps dramatically).

Champ SixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by cherokeedawg View Post
    We don't necessarily need a "deep ball" threat. What we need with the new offense is a QB who:

1. Knows the offense;

3. Can check through multiple options (rather than obviously locking on just a primary target), make a quick decision after the ball is snapped and pull the trigger, rather than holding the ball for more than a few seconds;

4. and can throw the ball to short (i.e., screens, flares, etc) and medium (i.e., slant, crossing, etc.) routes with some degree of consisitency; and

I don't think that RJ has a cannon for an arm, but he doesn't throw a lot of wounded ducks, either. The only thing that RJ really struggled with at times (sometimes critical times) last year was requirement number 3, but that is of course a critical requirement in the new offense. Whether or not that problem stems in whole or part from "Dooleyphobia" (i.e., the inordinate fear of making a mistake that manifests itself into playing not to lose, rather than playing to win) has yet to be seen. We shall see soon enough.

I can't really form an informed opinion regarding the other QBs save for CC, and even his time was too limited to really get a feel one way or the other. There is no way to know which of the QBs has that innate sense that will be required under the new system, until we give them all multiple chances to pick up the basics of the system and prove themselves.

What we desperately need at a minimum is a "system QB"; i.e., a QB who picks up and thrives under the new system. That may or may not be the prototypical dropback passer or the prototypical scrambler. The real issue will not be one of who's got the biggest arm or the fastest feet; rather, the issue will be: Who makes the right call from multiple options, while thinking on his feet?

Anything beyond a system QB is just lagniappe that increases the effectiveness of our offense (perhaps dramatically).
    Spot-on.

Love the 'Dooleyphobia', btw. We'll be explaining that to Tennessee fans before too long.

Champ DawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the rough

1. Knows the offense;

You are correct sir!

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFight71 View Post
    You are correct sir!
    Absolutely not!

We DO need a QB who can throw the long ball. Any DC worth his salt can stop any scheme. If our QB can't make all the throws, we are hamstrung.

Varsity Bulldog cherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Absolutely not!

We DO need a QB who can throw the long ball. Any DC worth his salt can stop any scheme. If our QB can't make all the throws, we are hamstrung.
    Given the choice between:

1. A QB with a cannon for an arm, but who often holds onto the ball most of the time and gets sacked, who occasionally can deliver the "home run" but whose most consistent plays are: 1. leading the offense onto the field; and 2. the play three plays later, where he leads the offense right back off of the field; or

2. A QB who can consistently pick the correct receivers and deliver the ball on most (i.e., slant, crossing, etc) routes and who doesn't get sacked, and keeps the chains moving, but who has less of an arm -

Who do you think SD and Franklin will pick?

I'm not saying that that is the choice we have - it's not necessarily an "either/or" proposition. We may or may not have a QB who can both throw the deep ball consistently AND can run the offense and not have it sputter with 3 and outs. We'd like to have it all - we may or may not actually have it all in one package. Heck, while we're filling out our Christmas list, why don't why ask for a QB who can do all of the above AND is faster than greased lightning?

I'm just stating what the MINIMUM and MOST IMPORTANT requirement is for this new offense.

I agree that the threat of a deep ball does a lot to keep the defense honest. So does the ability of a QB to take off and pick up huge chunks of yardage on foot. That being said, the threat of consistently delivering the ball to a WR - wherever downfield he may be as long as he gets good, positive yardage, does even more to keep a defense honest overall.

I love the deep ball. I'm sure that we will use it as much as our scheme, our talent, and the opposing D allows us to. However, it cannot win games by itself, if the remainder of our pass oriented offense is inefficient.

Bear in mind that I'm not talking about us starting a QB with a limp noodle for an arm. Honestly, I don't think any of our QBs have a "weak" arm, but I'm sure that of some of our QB's arms are stronger than others. I'm simply stating that we are not going to hand over the reins to a QB simply because he throws the longest deep ball in a glorified version of a punt, pass and kick contest.
    Last edited by cherokeedawg; 02-22-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Champ DawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the rough

I agree that our QB needs to be able to throw the long ball but it's not the most important skill for a QB to have. Brett Favre made a hell of a career off throwing slants. Besides, don't wanna be like this guy who has a man crush on QB's who throw the long ball....

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Burch plans to be playing hardball late into the spring...

Don't look for him to blow the doors off in fall camp - his plans are to redshirt on this side of the street -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

We don't necessarily need a "deep ball" threat.
    FWIW, I disagree with that one big time but I liked the rest of your post.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

We need to have the capability to go deep when the opportunity is there and to keep the defense honest. We don't want to live and die on the long ball. Reliable ball movement down the field is a must.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    We need to have the capability to go deep when the opportunity is there

let it go, Champ .... let it go.

+ Reply to Thread