+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'A historic matchup' - Shreveport Times

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: 'A historic matchup' - Shreveport Times

Well, JBIII proved he couldn't do it in BR. I think it has a lot more to do with the staff doing their job than the players being good little boys. No offense intended PT.

Champ SixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of light

The strategy seemed to work pretty well last year.

Don't forget we had one of the highest rated homefield advantages over the last two seasons.

I would say - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And sure don't fix it if it works really, really well.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Bicknell couldn't even control his players in Boise for the bowl game in 01. Several were out partying until after 2 AM. Any surprise they came out flat and got whipped?

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PTDAWG View Post
    Not quite hater. Almost every D1 school does that the night before home games. It's a way to have final gameplan meetings, bond with the team, and STAY OUT OF TROUBLE!!!!!
    I don't know and don't care how many schools do that before home games, it's still stupid. The Tech teams of the early 70's never did it and lost four games in four years. Since Tech has implemented it, except for Miss. State who turned out to be in total disarray, at home we still have only beaten teams we were expected to beat and have lost to the teams to whom we were expected to lose. Looks like it's a "big boy" expense that we don't need to waste money emulating.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PTDAWG View Post
    Too many potential distractions in Ruston. All of their friends and girlfriends are here so there would be sneaking in or out every time. No way to keep an eye on close to 100 "kids" in Ruston.
    I think you missed one of the points he made in his post. If we could keep the players all together in close proximity in Ruston like we do in the hotel in West Monroe, like if they all still lived in the same dorm, it could be doable. It's not like West Monroe is across the state and would an insurmountable obstacle for these distractions you list. Either way, I don't really have a problem with them staying out of town the night before. I think it helps to get them focused on the trip over on the bus ride, etc.., but I also agree with the other poster who made the comment that it might be a "big boy" expense we need to forgo until we can see a better bottom line in our budget.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    I don't know and don't care how many schools do that before home games, it's still stupid. The Tech teams of the early 70's never did it and lost four games in four years. Since Tech has implemented it, except for Miss. State who turned out to be in total disarray, at home we still have only beaten teams we were expected to beat and have lost to the teams to whom we were expected to lose. Looks like it's a "big boy" expense that we don't need to waste money emulating.

That is a great point. Since it has not paid any dividends on the field, it should be scrapped or at least rethought.

Varsity Bulldog PTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the rough PTDAWG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    Listen, I understand your points. Just saying that this ain't the early 70's anymore. I know there were distractions back then too. But you have to admit, not as much as today. Especially with all the media outlets you can't keep anything hush-hush anymore.

That's not the main reason for it though. It's to keep a regular routine for gameday weekend no matter where they are at. And they have deals set up with the hotels so it doesn't cost nearly as much as you might think.

Varsity Bulldog MikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the roughMikeBigg is a jewel in the rough

I'm glad this game is happening... it should be a win/win for both programs. The only drawback is the egos of some of the fans (on both sides) who won't give either program their due.

As for the out of town stays... Coach Eddie Robinson did that way back in the 70's when I was an undergrad. I think it has a lot to do with allowing the team to get away and mentally prepare bond for the upcoming game.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

After each school has received $200,000, the revenues will continue to be split with Tech receiving the lion's share of the remaining dollars, Van De Velde said.
    The city of Shreveport, which isn't fronting any money for the contest, will receive all revenue from concessions, while the State Fair Board will receive most of the parking money. Both Tech and Grambling have negotiated deals with the Fair to receive a portion of the parking revenue. There isn't a monetary guarantee for either school.--Quoted from The Shreveport Times.

That's a dramatically different contractual arrangement than what the Grambling folks are saying in the thread titled "Grambling Responds" etc....

I think this is the kind of "financial credibility" crap Dwayne warned us about. Okay.......here we go......

HD

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

i thought dooley had the right to run his program how he chose --

that said, i always thought the hotel was an unnecessary expense.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    i thought dooley had the right to run his program how he chose --

that said, i always thought the hotel was an unnecessary expense.
    Me too.

If they are going to stick with this "pregame hotel" policy, I just as soon see them build a "bunkhouse" for the players (a nice one) at the JAS Fieldhouse and avoid all the pregame transportation issues, etc.....That way, we permanently remove most of the pregame expense, and only need to hire a caterer for food.

LA Tech could be the first in the country to do something like that.

HD

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I thought there was some problem getting a strictly athletic dorm...I think it was a big problem (not able to be remedied anytime soon). In general, I agree that the hotel was a little wasteful, but if SD chooses to continue, then so be it.

I've got an idea...let the architecture department refurbish Jenkins or McFarland into a type of University hotel. On football weekends, we'll put the team there. Other times, alumni can stay there.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post

I've got an idea...let the architecture department refurbish Jenkins or McFarland into a type of University hotel. On football weekends, we'll put the team there. Other times, alumni can stay there.
    Champ967 would be thrilled. Give him that and a 13th game against nlulm and he is set for life.

Varsity Bulldog PTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the rough PTDAWG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Me too.

If they are going to stick with this "pregame hotel" policy, I just as soon see them build a "bunkhouse" for the players (a nice one) at the JAS Fieldhouse and avoid all the pregame transportation issues, etc.....That way, we permanently remove most of the pregame expense, and only need to hire a caterer for food.

LA Tech could be the first in the country to do something like that.

HD
    Yeah, and get laughed at by everyone else.

Varsity Bulldog CorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the rough CorneyDawg's Avatar

The (Hotel thing ) is a way for the coach to control the enviroment his Team is in the night before game day. Remember, these are 18-22 year olds.

+ Reply to Thread