+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ole Miss-New Mascot

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Re: Ole Miss-New Mascot

Concentrate all firepower on the university president! Concentrate all firepower on the university president!

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    Next thing you know, they will blast Notre Dame for humiliating the Irish
    I think an important distinction between Indian mascots and Notre Dame's is that the US govt did not spend 100+ years systematically exterminating the Irish people and their culture.

But we can move to the Pawlitics Forum if you want to take that any further.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    This is a totally different animal - Colonel Reb was not the same as the native american mascots.

And it's not the NCAA pressuring the school, it's admins at the school.
    I agree.......

Champ Aussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I hope it is a joke, because they would be the laughing stock of NCAA sports, if they choose that.
    Syracuse does actually have an guy dressed up as an orange, nothing to do with the actual group, but an orange.

Champ Aussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by SixWings View Post
    Is that some sort of copyright infringement?
    Probably, but im sure they wouldn't pay much, i don't think its necessarily negative publicity for Star Wars. Then again, look at Oregon's mascot, supposedly that is not infringement.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aussierules1985 View Post
    Syracuse does actually have an guy dressed up as an orange, nothing to do with the actual group, but an orange.

Stanford has a Christmas tree thingy....

Champ Bill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    I think an important distinction between Indian mascots and Notre Dame's is that the US govt did not spend 100+ years systematically exterminating the Irish people and their culture.

But we can move to the Pawlitics Forum if you want to take that any further.
    I don't disagree with you on how native americans were treated by the US govt. I just believe the majority of people associate indians and related nicknames for sports teams with the proud traditions of native americans have as warriors, fighters, etc.

Champ Bill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Aussierules1985 View Post
    In my original post I was mistaken that Syracuse's Orangemen nickname was related to native americans (as they do have a rich history in upstate NY). They actually changed their nickname to be gender neutral. I guess they always had the big juicy orange as a mascot.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

I don't disagree with you on how native americans were treated by the US govt. I just believe the majority of people associate indians and related nicknames for sports teams with the proud traditions of native americans have as warriors, fighters, etc.
    And I dont disagree with that.

My point was that a heightened sensitivity to Indian caricatures (as opposed to cowboys, lumberjacks, bulldogs, wallabies, etc) is pretty understandle, imo.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

I heard that the designation of "Colonel" was because it was the minimum rank to not be forgiven by the Union Army after the war. Regular soldiers and minor officers were let go, but the leaders were not. So in effect, they named the mascot in special defiance to the North.

Had they named it "Johnny Reb" instead of "Colonel Reb" I think we would be seing the same reactions from the admin.

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

This is rediculous. It isn't offensive unless you are a panty waste P.O.S.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE collar View Post
    This is rediculous. It isn't offensive unless you are a panty waste P.O.S.
    Get used to it, you'll see a lot more of this stuff in our lifetime.

The "tolerance" anthem is bull-doody. They seek to silence differing opinions and expressions.

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

So will KFC have to change the Colonel Sanders character? They were basically the same person.

In my original post I was mistaken that Syracuse's Orangemen nickname was related to native americans (as they do have a rich history in upstate NY). They actually changed their nickname to be gender neutral. I guess they always had the big juicy orange as a mascot.
    So they aren't the orangemen? ....They are the orange?

Varsity Bulldog Cactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really nice Cactus Rob's Avatar

I guess that it is only a matter of time until the animal right's activists demand that all mascots that resemble animals have their names removed due to the fact that it makes animals appear to be mean!
    What a sad situation!

+ Reply to Thread