+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Dawg Tonight

Varsity Bulldog dawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her game

Happy Dawg Tonight

For those of you who were around Tech in the mid 80's, tonight was a special night as Tech honored the '84-'85 Dunkin' Dogs. Most of the players made their way to the game--even Coach Russo. I was fortunate to have saved a couple of team posters from the era. Anyone remember the "Dunk Factory" or "Who Ya Gonna Call" team posters? Anyway, I still had both posters, so I was able to get most of the guys to autograph them after the game. Pretty cool to see all these guys together.
    ________
    The Simpsons Forums
    Last edited by dawg88; 05-04-2011 at 08:56 AM.

Bulldog geek34 has turned a few heads around heregeek34 has turned a few heads around heregeek34 has turned a few heads around here geek34's Avatar

Re: Happy Dawg Tonight

I know all of the guys enjoyed getting back together. Thank you to all who made the weekend special.

Champ KDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really nice

Man I wish I could have seen them play!

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

I only saw them play twice, once at North Texas and once at Reunion Arena, a great game at a great venue. The Tech fans were in force and rockin with the Hoop Troop.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Was the Mailman in attendance?

Champ baw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Was the Mailman in attendance?
    yes he was!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Varsity Bulldog golfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the rough

It was a treat to see these guys and it brought back great memories. I spoke to Daryl Emerson and his brother/cousin (not sure of the relation) Mike before the game. Both graduated from Ruston HS and both were silky smooth shooters. I think Mike went on to Grambling. All of who were around at that time remember the starters (Malone, Smith, Davis, Simmons, Godbolt) and subs (Frank, Bland) but I also got to see some of the younger local guys play in high school. Kevin Tatum from West Monroe could absolutely fill it up. He was a deadly shooter. Kelvin Lewis from Gibsland was cat-quick and a great point guard.

It was also cool to see how many of the guys were from Louisiana. An interesting story about Willie Simmons, he was a freshman when I was a junior. He was in a weight-lifting class I was in and he literally could not lift the bar when he began the class. Of course, he worked hard and improved but I thought that was amazing he was so weak at that time. I also remember him being very friendly and we all know how he developed as a player. Does anyone know where he is and what he is doing?

Bulldog geek34 has turned a few heads around heregeek34 has turned a few heads around heregeek34 has turned a few heads around here geek34's Avatar

It is my understanding that Willie Simmons is living in Austrailia after a long and successful pro career down under.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Willie Simmons played for many years in Australia. I only remember hearing two things about him during his days in Australia.

1. His nickname was "The Praying Mantis".
    2. He led the league in blocked shots for 4 years in a row.

I guess he wasn't there because it's kind of a long commute from Aussie to Ruston.

Hopefully he is doing well.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Does anybody know what the rest of the guys from the 1985 team are doing now? For instance, what has Wayne Smith been doing all these years?

I'd like an update on the rest of the guys too, if anybody has one.

Thanks in advance!

HD

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Wayne and David Jordan were my high school basketball coaches. Wayne worked for Priemer Bank (now a part of Chase, I believe) before coaching and David never quit his "day job" while coaching the team. Wayne started coaching around 88-89 and stopped around 93-94, and is still living in Shreveport.

I saw Wayne a few years ago at an Indy Bowl game (about 2006) and he was with his wife and kids. He told me what he was doing, but I can't remember. I have always had a ton of respect for Wayne Smith. Awesome guy.

Last I heard of David Jordan, he was in the Dallas area in the IT business. In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that "geek34" might be the Milkman himself.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    Wayne and David Jordan were my high school basketball coaches. Wayne worked for Priemer Bank (now a part of Chase, I believe) before coaching and David never quit his "day job" while coaching the team. Wayne started coaching around 88-89 and stopped around 93-94, and is still living in Shreveport.

I saw Wayne a few years ago at an Indy Bowl game (about 2006) and he was with his wife and kids. He told me what he was doing, but I can't remember. I have always had a ton of respect for Wayne Smith. Awesome guy.

Last I heard of David Jordan, he was in the Dallas area in the IT business. In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that "geek34" might be the Milkman himself.
    Great update. Thanks for that StrayDawg.

HD

I'll try to update everybody as best I can:

Wayne Smith: Lives in Shreveport and works with Willis-Knoghton and Dr. Bundrick
    Willie Bland: Played overseas for many years. He said he has played a game in 38 countries. Owns a construction company.
    Alan Davis: Served 10.5 years in the Army and had a couple of tours during Desert Storm. Lives in Monroe.
    Robert Godbolt: Lives in Detroit and does works in a school helping disadvantaged youth.
    Adam Frank: Coaches basketball in the New Orleans area.
    Hiram Harris: Lives in Michigan and runs the parks department in the town where he lives.
    Derrick Kearney: Lives in Detroit and his son is rated as one of the best recruits in the country for 2011. His son has committed to Michigan State.
    Kevin Tatum: Lives in Katy, TX and is in the oil and gas business.
    Robert McAllister: Owns his own business and lives in Georgetown, TX.
    Roderick Hannibal: Lives in Monroe. Refs alot of high school games.
    Keith Troutman: Lives in the Houston area.
    Daryl Emmerson: Living in Ruston. Did live in Austin for a time.
    David Jordan: Living in McKinney, TX. Working at his church and pursuing a master of Thelogical Studies at Dallas Baptist University.
    Kelvin Lewis: Lives in Dallas area, works at Coke and will complete his MBA from Baylor this semester.
    Andy Russo: Lives in Boca Raton, FL. Runs basketball camps and coaches his daughters high school team. They went 20-5 and went to the state semi finals.

Side note: Ronnie Spivey was back, too. He will finish his degree this quater from Tech. Believe it or not, Ronnie graduating will help our graduation rate (per Coach Rupp) even though it is 25 years later.

Thanks for the updates. Wayne has worked at WK for years...not sure why I forgot that.

Sounds like we need to bring Derrick Kearney back in the fold. It's never too late for his son to switch his commitment. :icon_wink:

And, congratulations to Ronnie Spivey. Quitting is easy...I'm proud of him for finishing.

Thanks for the updates, guys. It's nice to see everyone living such nice and fruitful --and long-- lives. Love it!

HD

+ Reply to Thread