+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Open Tryouts

Champ Tbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of light Tbone1's Avatar

Re: Open Tryouts

The game's just a little more difficult than it looks from the stands and some of us tend to forget that. Or maybe the beer has something to do with it.

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

I wasn't able to make the meeting. Anyone know any way I can get that info, or someone I can talk to. For those who are opinionated:

I'm 6ft, 200lbs, run a 4.67 at my fastest, squat 315, bench 225 8 times, was a linebacker in high school, and I'm now a junior. Anyone know how walking onto the scout team works?

Bulldog NateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    I wasn't able to make the meeting. Anyone know any way I can get that info, or someone I can talk to. For those who are opinionated:

I'm 6ft, 200lbs, run a 4.67 at my fastest, squat 315, bench 225 8 times, was a linebacker in high school, and I'm now a junior. Anyone know how walking onto the scout team works?
    I went to the meeting. Today (Friday) is the tryout. It's in the stadium at 2 PM I think. The coach that spoke to us outside of the fieldhouse told us we had to have a recent physical (within 6 months), a pin number from the clearinghouse (takes months to receive), and proof of insurance.

They did a pretty bad job of giving a heads up for that info though. I had no idea we had to be qualified through the clearinghouse. I thought that was just for highschoolers. Apparently very few knew about that, because the coach told everyone to leave if we didn't have that done, and more than half the guys got up and left.

He said there will be more opportunities to walk on. Go talk to the head trainer Keith Bunch at the field house, and he can tell you some more info.

I'm giving up on my dream of trying out...

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

If I had eligibility left I would go punt. I can get a 40 yarder ona regular basis. Not great, but not terrible.

Champ rangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by NateDawg View Post
    I went to the meeting. Today (Friday) is the tryout. It's in the stadium at 2 PM I think. The coach that spoke to us outside of the fieldhouse told us we had to have a recent physical (within 6 months), a pin number from the clearinghouse (takes months to receive), and proof of insurance.

They did a pretty bad job of giving a heads up for that info though. I had no idea we had to be qualified through the clearinghouse. I thought that was just for highschoolers. Apparently very few knew about that, because the coach told everyone to leave if we didn't have that done, and more than half the guys got up and left.

He said there will be more opportunities to walk on. Go talk to the head trainer Keith Bunch at the field house, and he can tell you some more info.

Nate the clearinghouse is for eligibility for all NCAA student athletes. They are the gatekeeper and are a real pain in the arse. They have screwed a lot of good kids careers.

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

[quote=rangerdawg;898751]Nate the clearinghouse is for eligibility for all NCAA student athletes. They are the gatekeeper and are a real pain in the arse. They have screwed a lot of good kids careers.[/quote]

It wasn't that hard to get through the clearinghouse if you take care of your own business and don't let your grades slip.

Champ Aussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by NateDawg View Post

Not that they didn't get the memo by half of them getting up, but if the message to get qualified through the clearinghouse isn't posted on those notes, id email em to make sure they remember next time round. Out of curiousity how long does it take to get cleared normally?

Champ rangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant future

[quote=BLUE collar;898774]
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerdawg View Post
    Nate the clearinghouse is for eligibility for all NCAA student athletes. They are the gatekeeper and are a real pain in the arse. They have screwed a lot of good kids careers.[/quote]

It wasn't that hard to get through the clearinghouse if you take care of your own business and don't let your grades slip.
    You are correct, however, there are circumstances that are not the norm. I have a friend in Dallas who spent a year trying to get his son cleared to punt at OSU. All because his son took special classes that the clearinghouse did not consider to be part of normal cirruculum. Teachers and administrators had to fill out volumes of paperwork to get it through. Took an entire year but they did it.

Champ Tbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of light Tbone1's Avatar

Don't give up NateDawg.
    Just submit your application for the clearinghouse and then attempt to walk-on during Fall Camp (August).

Years from now, you'll wish you had given it a shot. By quitting on your dream....you're only quitting on yourself. Go for it.

Bulldog NateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the ears

TBone1, your right on wishing I had gone for it. It's much too late for me now though. I'm a senior, so I just wanted to go out there and see how well I could compete, just to at least prove something to myself. I was very serious and close to doing it 2 years ago, but a few days before the info session meeting in the spring, I got hospitalized for 2 weeks. Long story, but that put me out for that year. After that, I felt school should be my priority. I'd gotten up to 195 lbs at 6' with a 4.6 forty. I'm just playing hard in intramurals now haha...

Yeah Aussie, I guess they forgot to put that info on there. I hear it takes about a month. It can vary a good bit though depending on how busy they are

I'd have no problem getting in b/c I have a good GPA, but it's the fact that I didn't have that done before tryouts.

+ Reply to Thread