+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Might YOUR Christian God be a Multitasker II......

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Re: Might YOUR Christian God be a Multitasker II......

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    As far as the Mormons go, they believe baptism is a prerequisite to entering the Kingdom of God. They believe that those that were baptised by proxy will later have an opportunity to accept or reject the teachings of JC in their afterlife. So the baptism just provides an opportunity for those that may not have had one during their mortal life and is not a ticket into the kingdom.
    In my youth......
    I dated an attractive young Morman lass.
    I read The Book of Morman she gave me, and eagerly discussed her hereditary FAITH with her.

She was strong on FAITH but weak on details, and was never able to explain why anyone already experiencing their afterlife might need some ritual on Earth to secure any heavenly harmony.

I have no doubt that she eventually "converted" some other heathen, or married another hereditary Morman, and has lived mostly happily ever since.
    She was a very nice young lady.

cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    In my youth......
    I dated an attractive young Morman lass.
    I read The Book of Morman she gave me, and eagerly discussed her hereditary FAITH with her.

She was strong on FAITH but weak on details, and was never able to explain why anyone already experiencing their afterlife might need some ritual on Earth to secure any heavenly harmony.

I have no doubt that she eventually "converted" some other heathen, or married another hereditary Morman, and has lived mostly happily ever since.
    She was a very nice young lady.

cheers.
    If you have a copy of The Bible look at John 3:5. That is why they believe that baptism is necessary.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Sorry, Spin. I am not following your logic in this thread. Are we just dreaming hypotheticals? Assume there is one god that created all gods and no gods at the same time?
    "Dreaming hypotheticals"......
    Involves matters like religious folk having a keen desire to believe in THEIR GOD as purpose and goal......
    Or athiests being equally keen to believe in cradle to grave success as a best possible mortal ideal.
    But neither religious folk or atheists sincerely consider any such personal 'hypothetical dreaming" to be absolutely nothing more than merely the subjective fruit of their preferred imagination.

SO YES......
    I am imagining "hypotheticals"......
    But I am not "dreaming" to either satisfy or "prove" any hoped for wish or whim.

As for your last sentence above......
    It's ASSUME that ALL of the gods that men currently believe in, or have ever believed in previously, or do not believe in...... Are actually the SAME GOD.

Any questions?

Perhaps when (if) I get to my intended ATHEISM AS A RELIGION portion of this thread......
    Possibility #3 and so forth......
    The seeds of hypothetical imagination may cease to seem so ensnarled with the chaff of hypothetical dreaming.

Cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

If you have a copy of The Bible look at John 3:5. That is why they believe that baptism is necessary.
    It's like this, Gus......
    I have absolutely no desire to play any ONE RELIGION games like John 3:5 vs. Ephesians 2:8-9, etc. on this thread.

It seems to me that I have already tossed more than enough "godless" sand into this sandbox for any atheist to play with and be adequately amused.

BUT......
    If you prefer to begin thumping on Christian literature in lieu of carving away a pound of atheist flesh nearest the heart of this thread......
    That's your choice and fine by me.

However......
    I suspect you will understand if I continue to try frying my intended fish......
    And not bother with how many loaves or fish may be needed to feed any particular religion.

Cheers and goodnight.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

As far as the Mormons go, they believe baptism is a prerequisite to entering the Kingdom of God.
    Interesting..... the thief on the cross wasn't baptized and yet he went to heaven. I always get a kick out of those religions requiring baptism as a way to heaven instead of it being purely a symbol of our faith and our desire to follow Christ.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Interesting..... the thief on the cross wasn't baptized and yet he went to heaven.
    I bet the Mormons baptised him by proxy.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

I bet the Mormons baptised him by proxy.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Interesting..... the thief on the cross wasn't baptized and yet he went to heaven. I always get a kick out of those religions requiring baptism as a way to heaven instead of it being purely a symbol of our faith and our desire to follow Christ.
    So how do you interpret John 3:5?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    I believe He was talking about the natural birth and a spiritual birth. Some believe He was talking about a spiritual cleansing and a spiritual birth.

Taken in context, there is no reason to believe He was talking about baptism at this point.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    ... ... .

Yep, I believe you are on to something. HE certainly has provoked a lot of pondering .... it probably wasn't an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    Basically, you would agree that there is nothing that man can do, via emmersion into or sprinkle of water, that would magically save a man correct? With that statement, here are some interesting commentaries (though some very old ones :>) ) on John 3:5.

From Wessley's expanation notes:
    Except he experience that great inward change by the Spirit, and be baptized (wherever baptism can be had) as the outward sign and means of it.

John Gill's Exposition
    John 3:5

Jesus answered, verily, verily, I say unto thee
    Explaining somewhat more clearly, what he before said: except a man be born of water and of the Spirit:
    these are, (twnv) (twlm) , "two words", which express the same thing, as Kimchi observes in many places in his commentaries, and signify the grace of the Spirit of God. The Vulgate Latin and Ethiopic versions read, "the Holy Spirit", and so Nonnus; and who doubtless is intended: by "water", is not meant material water, or baptismal water; for water baptism is never expressed by water only, without some additional word, which shows, that the ordinance of water baptism is intended: nor has baptism any regenerating influence in it; a person may be baptized, as Simon Magus was, and yet not born again; and it is so far from having any such virtue, that a person ought to be born again, before he is admitted to that ordinance: and though submission to it is necessary, in order to a person's entrance into a Gospel church state; yet it is not necessary to the kingdom of heaven, or to eternal life and salvation: such a mistaken sense of this text, seems to have given the first birth and rise to infant baptism in the African churches; who taking the words in this bad sense, concluded their children must be baptized, or they could not be saved; whereas by "water" is meant, in a figurative and metaphorical sense, the grace of God, as it is elsewhere

John Darby Synopsis
    The Lord explains Himself. Two things were necessary-to be born of water, and of the Spirit. Water cleanses. And, spiritually, in his affections, heart, conscience, thoughts, actions, etc., man lives, and in practice is morally purified, through the application, by the power of the Spirit, of the word of God, which judges all things, and works in us livingly new thoughts and affections. This is the water; it is withal the death of the flesh. The true water which cleanses in a christian way came forth from the side of a dead Christ. He came by water and blood, in the power of cleansing and of expiation. He sanctifies the assembly by cleansing it through the washing of water by the word. "Ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you." It is therefore the mighty word of God which, since man must be born again in the principle and source of his moral being, judges, as being death, all that is of the flesh.

Commentary was prepared by Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset and David Brown and published in 1871.

5. of water and of the Spirit--A twofold explanation of the "new birth," so startling to Nicodemus. To a Jewish ecclesiastic, so familiar with the symbolical application of water, in every variety of way and form of expression, this language was fitted to show that the thing intended was no other than a thorough spiritual purification by the operation of the Holy Ghost. Indeed, element of water and operation of the Spirit are brought together in a glorious evangelical prediction of Ezekiel ( Ezekiel 36:25-27 ), which Nicodemus might have been reminded of had such spiritualities not been almost lost in the reigning formalism. Already had the symbol of water been embodied in an initiatory ordinance, in the baptism of the Jewish expectants of Messiah by the Baptist, not to speak of the baptism of Gentile proselytes before that; and in the Christian Church it was soon to become the great visible door of entrance into "the kingdom of God," the reality being the sole work of the Holy Ghost ( Titus 3:5 ).

Dr. J. Vernon McGee Commentaries
    http://www.blueletterbible.org/audio...SeriesOrder=26

Chuck Missler Commentaries
    http://www.blueletterbible.org/audio...commTopic=John - [1990's]&SeriesOrder=3
    Last edited by TYLERTECHSAS; 03-25-2010 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    We've got a record of Abraham, but there is no reason why God would not have revealed himself to other men pre-Abraham and imputed righteousness to them through Christ's future work.
    PRECISELY......
    There is NO REASON, even per the logic of a finite mortal mind, that AN INFINITE GOD could not have revealed HIMSELF to pre-Abraham men in any damn manner HE deemed to be PERFECT for HIS purpose(s).

AND NO REASON to prevent the same INFINITE GOD from revealing HIMSELF to the western mortals who have lived since Abraham......
    By employing Judaism, Catholicism, Islam, Protestantism, and Atheism......
    (to cite only 5 of the many known western paths)
    In any manner HE deemed to be PERFECT for HIS purpose(s).

And while (if) you (others) ponder the above......
    Consider the following (next post) as an alternative path.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    PRECISELY......
    There is NO REASON, even per the logic of a finite mortal mind, that AN INFINITE GOD could not have revealed HIMSELF to pre-Abraham men in any damn manner HE deemed to be PERFECT for HIS purpose(s).

AND NO REASON to prevent the same INFINITE GOD from revealing HIMSELF to the western mortals who have lived since Abraham......
    By employing Judaism, Catholicism, Islam, Protestantism, and Atheism......
    (to cite only 5 of the many known western paths)
    In any manner HE deemed to be PERFECT for HIS purpose(s).

And while (if) you (others) ponder the above......
    Consider the following (next post) as an alternative path.

Cheers.
    Try to imagine Christianity as follows.......

The ONLY GOD visits Earth @2,000 years ago.
    HE walks amongst men for what seems to men to be 3 years.
    HE speaks not in parables but straight and to the point, while leaving no doubt regarding HIS obvious meaning.
    HE does not allow Roman soldiers to crucify HIM.
    Instead, HE announces on a Monday that HE will slaughter every Roman in the Roman Empire on Tuesday, and HE does so!
    HE then brings every Roman back to life on Wednesday, and forgives ALL PRIOR SIN!
    Before leaving Earth, and not trusting the fallible foolishness of mortals, HE carves HIS clear map of good and evil on a moutain for any present or future man to easily read and understand at his leisure.
    And he adds a postscript.
    There is no devil. There is only GOD and man.
    There is no need for popes or priests......
    Or for chapels or churches or cathedrals.
    I have given EVERY MAN the test answers......
    And the ability to either pass or fail for eternity.
    Cheers.
    GOD.

Needless to say......
    Any other OBVIOUS GOD stuff would suffice in lieu of the above scenario.

But the point is......
    Perhaps a GOD might prefer a puzzle inside a conundrum wrapped with mystery for HIS man test......
    Rather than some too simple "religious" rote for HIS eternal exam!

Cheers.

Next loose end......
    REVELATION vs. REVELATION.

Has anyone happened to notice that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam......
    And most "organized" religions throughout man's history have utilize priests and/or prophets for "profit" via REVELATION?

Ergo......
    Either ONLY ONE GOD is doing all the whispering, and burning bushes, and using birds and books etc. to lead men......
    Or REVELATION is on a par with nothing more than a MY TEAM IS BETTER THAN YOUR TEAM BECAUSE THEY ARE MY TEAM mentality!

If you do not believe me.....
    Consider the discussion that is currently floundering about amongst Christians dawgs on this thread regarding a JOHN "inspired" collection of words.
    And then try to imagine how many decent Jews and Muslims have been struggling just as sincerely with Torah truths or Koran knowledge, while this John stuff has been honestly dancing around the sugarplum creations of Christianity.

MAN subjectively pretending power for his preferred REVELATION would make all REVELATION equal.

BUT ONE GOD purposely parading ALL REVELATION for all men, could make REVELATION both purposeful and powerful......
    And tie another loose end.

That's enough for now......

Cheers and goodnight.
    Last edited by Spinoza; 03-26-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Basically, you would agree that there is nothing that man can do, via emmersion into or sprinkle of water, that would magically save a man correct? With that statement, here are some interesting commentaries (though some very old ones :>) ) on John 3:5.

From Wessley's expanation notes:
    Except he experience that great inward change by the Spirit, and be baptized (wherever baptism can be had) as the outward sign and means of it.

John Gill's Exposition
    John 3:5

Jesus answered, verily, verily, I say unto thee
    Explaining somewhat more clearly, what he before said: except a man be born of water and of the Spirit:
    these are, (twnv) (twlm) , "two words", which express the same thing, as Kimchi observes in many places in his commentaries, and signify the grace of the Spirit of God. The Vulgate Latin and Ethiopic versions read, "the Holy Spirit", and so Nonnus; and who doubtless is intended: by "water", is not meant material water, or baptismal water; for water baptism is never expressed by water only, without some additional word, which shows, that the ordinance of water baptism is intended: nor has baptism any regenerating influence in it; a person may be baptized, as Simon Magus was, and yet not born again; and it is so far from having any such virtue, that a person ought to be born again, before he is admitted to that ordinance: and though submission to it is necessary, in order to a person's entrance into a Gospel church state; yet it is not necessary to the kingdom of heaven, or to eternal life and salvation: such a mistaken sense of this text, seems to have given the first birth and rise to infant baptism in the African churches; who taking the words in this bad sense, concluded their children must be baptized, or they could not be saved; whereas by "water" is meant, in a figurative and metaphorical sense, the grace of God, as it is elsewhere

John Darby Synopsis
    The Lord explains Himself. Two things were necessary-to be born of water, and of the Spirit. Water cleanses. And, spiritually, in his affections, heart, conscience, thoughts, actions, etc., man lives, and in practice is morally purified, through the application, by the power of the Spirit, of the word of God, which judges all things, and works in us livingly new thoughts and affections. This is the water; it is withal the death of the flesh. The true water which cleanses in a christian way came forth from the side of a dead Christ. He came by water and blood, in the power of cleansing and of expiation. He sanctifies the assembly by cleansing it through the washing of water by the word. "Ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you." It is therefore the mighty word of God which, since man must be born again in the principle and source of his moral being, judges, as being death, all that is of the flesh.

Commentary was prepared by Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset and David Brown and published in 1871.

5. of water and of the Spirit--A twofold explanation of the "new birth," so startling to Nicodemus. To a Jewish ecclesiastic, so familiar with the symbolical application of water, in every variety of way and form of expression, this language was fitted to show that the thing intended was no other than a thorough spiritual purification by the operation of the Holy Ghost. Indeed, element of water and operation of the Spirit are brought together in a glorious evangelical prediction of Ezekiel ( Ezekiel 36:25-27 ), which Nicodemus might have been reminded of had such spiritualities not been almost lost in the reigning formalism. Already had the symbol of water been embodied in an initiatory ordinance, in the baptism of the Jewish expectants of Messiah by the Baptist, not to speak of the baptism of Gentile proselytes before that; and in the Christian Church it was soon to become the great visible door of entrance into "the kingdom of God," the reality being the sole work of the Holy Ghost ( Titus 3:5 ).

Dr. J. Vernon McGee Commentaries
    http://www.blueletterbible.org/audio...SeriesOrder=26

Chuck Missler Commentaries
    http://www.blueletterbible.org/audio...commTopic=John - [1990's]&SeriesOrder=3

Nice find Tyler....just for starters, consider the possibilities of what just those two words suggest.

+ Reply to Thread