+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expansion Ideas...(interesting read)

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Re: Expansion Ideas...(interesting read)

Quote Originally Posted by SixWings View Post
    BYU won't go Pac 10 because they refuse to play sports on sundays, if I remember rightly. The Utes might be a better fit, though.

Is it possible for UTEP to get a WAC invite? The WAC is much more regional for them, and the athletics prestige is higher now. They also have a good rivalry with NMSU in most sports, I believe.

I doubt that UTEP would come back. When we think about conference realignment, we have to remember that the WAC is in play as well. This is only my opinion, but I'm pretty sure that Boise is going to go to the MWC, and there will probalby be a push for Nevada as well. At that point the WAC is greatly diminished, and UTEP would not want to give the impression that they are moving backward by going back to a conference they just left a few years ago.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Why would Conference USA swap UTEP for us when they already turned us down? .
    Travel cost and the fact that UTEP really competes in zero these days. Plus we just weren't as attractive back then.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixWings View Post
    BYU won't go Pac 10 because they refuse to play sports on sundays, if I remember rightly.

Correct! There is also the enormous political chasm between them and a number of the Pac 10 schools.

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    Correct! There is also the enormous political chasm between them and a number of the Pac 10 schools.
    Come on, I can't wait to see the Prop 8 Rumble between BYU and USC or UCLA.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atobulldog View Post
    Come on, I can't wait to see the Prop 8 Rumble between BYU and USC or UCLA.

That is so little league...try BYU-Cal! A steel cage match for the ages... :icon_wink:

Can you imagine the BYU folks rolling into Berkeley for a game and Cal fans going to Provo? CULTURE SHOCK!!!!!!

Champ DawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    Can you imagine the BYU folks rolling into Berkeley for a game and Cal fans going to Provo? CULTURE SHOCK!!!!!!
    I think seeing that would be worth BYU getting into the PAC 10.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    I doubt that UTEP would come back. When we think about conference realignment, we have to remember that the WAC is in play as well. This is only my opinion, but I'm pretty sure that Boise is going to go to the MWC, and there will probalby be a push for Nevada as well. At that point the WAC is greatly diminished, and UTEP would not want to give the impression that they are moving backward by going back to a conference they just left a few years ago.
    I can't see Boise going to a downgraded MWC. If BYU and/or Utah leave the MWC is on a par with the WAC and has no better chance of being an AQ. Of course it would reduce some of their travel expense -- no Hawaii, but San Diego is further than Fresno or San Jose and not very much closer than Tech.

Just a wild thought, but how about Boise for the PAC 10. I don't believe anyone has brought up that possibility. So maybe Boise-Utah as additions since you guys don't think BYU would go.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I can't see Boise going to a downgraded MWC. If BYU and/or Utah leave the MWC is on a par with the WAC and has no better chance of being an AQ. Of course it would reduce some of their travel expense -- no Hawaii, but San Diego is further than Fresno or San Jose and not very much closer than Tech.

Just a wild thought, but how about Boise for the PAC 10. I don't believe anyone has brought up that possibility. So maybe Boise-Utah as additions since you guys don't think BYU would go.

That has been discussed actually. The big thing preventing Boise from going to the PAC 10 is academics. Wasn't Boise a JC at one point ?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    The big thing preventing Boise from going to the PAC 10 is academics.
    Don't kid yourself. The PAC 10 is still the home of that academic joke called Arizona State.

HD

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Earlier tonight, Sporting News Radio's nightly show talked at length about Pac 10 and Big 10 expansion.

The PAC 10 presidents are meeting this week at their conference tournament to begin discussions about league expansion in 2012.

The daily paper in Boulder is running a series on Colorado's possible move. Every faction on their campus, from administration to alumni to coaching staffs seems to be in favor of the move.

The discussion tonight centered around the fact all of the talk about Pac 10 expansion is focusing on Colorado and Utah and the fact they seem to be the only credible candidates who are interested in making the move right now.

The talk about Big 10 expansion focused on Notre Dame, given what the ND president said earlier this week. The fallback candidates now appear to be Pitt and Rutgers. The other interesting thing said was that the talk about the possible addition of Missouri has died down in the past few months.

Here is the March 6 column from the Boulder paper on the subject.

http://www.dailycamera.com/sports-co...#axzz0hvgOmWc3
    Last edited by The Historian; 03-11-2010 at 09:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread