+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merlin Olsen dies at 69

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Merlin Olsen dies at 69

I always enjoyed watching him play and act. He seemed like a gentle giant.

Reports: Merlin Olsen dies at 69

Pro Football Hall of Famer and former television actor Merlin Olsen has died. He was 69.
    Utah State University assistant athletic media relations director Zach Fisher says Olsen died Wednesday night.
    Olsen was an All-American at Utah State and a first-round draft pick of the Los Angles Rams in 1962.
    He was part of the Rams' "Fearsome Foursome" defensive line, which set an NFL record for the fewest yards allowed during a 14-game season in 1968.
    Olsen is still the Rams' all-time leader in career tackles with 915.
    Olsen moved on to acting with roles in "Little House on the Prairie" and later his own series, "Father Murphy," which ran from 1981 to 1983.
    He was diagnosed with mesothelioma last year.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...lsen-dies-age/
    Last edited by TYLERTECHSAS; 03-11-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

Re: Merlin Olsen dies at 69

One of my all time favorite NFL players. He will be missed.

Champ ddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond repute ddgravy's Avatar

RIP Merlin

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    I always enjoyed watching him play and act. He seemed like a gentle giant.

Reports: Merlin Olsen dies at 69

Pro Football Hall of Famer and former television actor Merlin Olsen has died. He was 69.
    Utah State University assistant athletic media relations director Zach Fisher says Olsen died Wednesday night.
    Olsen was an All-American at Utah State and a first-round draft pick of the Los Angles Rams in 1962.
    He was part of the Rams' "Fearsome Foursome" defensive line, which set an NFL record for the fewest yards allowed during a 14-game season in 1968.
    Olsen is still the Rams' all-time leader in career tackles with 915.
    Olsen moved on to acting with roles in "Little House on the Prairie" and later his own series, "Father Murphy," which ran from 1981 to 1983.
    He was diagnosed with mesothelioma last year.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...lsen-dies-age/

...and if I remember right, a Rhodes Scholar. Rest in Peace Sir.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Growing up in southern California, he was my man. A member of one of the greatest front fours in NFL histroy. The Fearsome Foursome.

Champ girldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud of

Off the field, he seemed so kind and gentle, but on the field -- watch out! He was a class act!

Champ JDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant future JDubyadawg's Avatar

Maybe guys are always bigger when you are a kid but in those days I thought of Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones, Bob Lilly....I believed those guys were larger than life.

Merlin was also in a John Wayne movie....can't remember the name of it.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Fearsome Foursome....Little House on the Praire....Mongo in Blazing Saddles!

Great player....an even better person.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

The NFL Network had several great clips of Merlin Olsen on tonight's episode of NFL Total Access. Steve Sabol had a nice piece, and Rosey Grier was a guest. From listening to Rosey speak, it sounded like he and Merlin and Deacon Jones were close friends until the very end. It also sounded like he had been supporting Lamar Lundy financially (at least partially) at the end of his life.

JDubya, I think that movie was called "Undefeated", but I'm not sure about that.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Fearsome Foursome....Little House on the Praire....Mongo in Blazing Saddles!

Great player....an even better person.

I'm thinking Mongo was played by Alex Karras/Detroit Lions, but I may be wrong.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hoppinmad View Post
    I'm thinking Mongo was played by Alex Karras/Detroit Lions, but I may be wrong.
    I think you are right.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I think you are right.

He is.

One of his most impressive accomplishments...an Outland Trophy at Utah State.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDubyadawg View Post

Merlin was also in a John Wayne movie....can't remember the name of it.

Underfeated or Horse Soldiers??? The one with Rock Hudson as the Confederate leader. That one also had his teammate Roman Gabriel.

He may have been in a couple more Duke flicks.

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post

JDubya, I think that movie was called "Undefeated", but I'm not sure about that.
    Didn't one of the scenes featuring Merlin involve a fight on the banks of a river or something between the two "big" men (Merlin being of them) of the Union and the Confederacy?

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

My memory isn't what it used to be, so I had to look it up. It's called THE Undefeated, and it starred Merlin Olsen, John Wayne, and Rock Hudson. LABulldog, I think you are right about the fight scene. It was a post-Civil War movie about a bunch of people moving to Mexico.

+ Reply to Thread