+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interesting coaching move

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: Interesting coaching move

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmatic View Post
    I tell you one thing. IMO Conroy was a better play caller than Frank Scelfo ever was. I wish him all the best and as far as I am concerned NT is getting a good man and a good coach. Just gives me another reason to support NT over that dinky SBC school down the road. Good luck, Conroy and thank you.
    I agree with this 100%. Conroy's NFL qbs have been just as successful as Scelfo's.

Varsity Bulldog Coachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    This is very ironic. A few years ago I tried to get Conroy Hines to sign a WR from McKinney named Johnny Quinn. Conroy wouldn't do it. He said Quinn would never make it in Div 1A college football. So Quinn went to UNT instead of LA Tech, and became UNT's ALL-TIME leading receiver. I kid you not. During Quin's stay at UNT, he was playing in back to back bowl games for UNT while Conroy was sitting at home in Ruston.

Despite this, I've always liked Conroy Hines. Still do. But some of these college coaches don't know near as much about recruiting as they THINK they do. By the way, that INCLUDES some members of our (Dykes') current football staff. I'm already having similar experiences with them. As usual, they think nobody knows anything about football but them. Only problem is, I have to wait a couple of years to prove them wrong. Again.

Best of luck to Conroy and his family.

HD

HD--Johnny Quinn was one of the best receivers that I have ever seen play the game. Not only did he have a great hands, that young man could run. He was a great route runner and was always open. Coach Dodge could have really used him in his passing scheme.

If, if fact, Conroy is going to UNT, he could not work for a better person and football coach than Todd Dodge. He will learn a great passing game and how to coach it with lesser athletes than most D1 programs. Coach Dodge has one of the greatest offensive minds in the game of football. Conroy will definitely be an asset to the UNT program.

Coach Hines is a wonderful person and I wish him the very best of everything in his future coaching endeavors.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Conroy was about the easiest guy to talk to at the meet and greets. I always enjoyed it. I hope he does well. I wish he could have stuck around and been the director of football operations or something like that, but I understand that coaches want to coach.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Varsity Bulldog CorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her gameCorinthEagle is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by Coachdawg View Post
    HD--Johnny Quinn was one of the best receivers that I have ever seen play the game. Not only did he have a great hands, that young man could run. He was a great route runner and was always open. Coach Dodge could have really used him in his passing scheme.

If, if fact, Conroy is going to UNT, he could not work for a better person and football coach than Todd Dodge. He will learn a great passing game and how to coach it with lesser athletes than most D1 programs. Coach Dodge has one of the greatest offensive minds in the game of football. Conroy will definitely be an asset to the UNT program.

Coach Hines is a wonderful person and I wish him the very best of everything in his future coaching endeavors.

Quinn was incredible to watch. If the ball was anywhere close to him he was going to catch it. Still playing in Canada. Sure glad he didn't listen to you HD! :icon_wink:

Varsity Bulldog VegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    I don't really understand this move by Conroy, especially if he's moving his family. His wife has a great job at Tech and North Texas could be looking for a new head coach if they don't get it turned around this season. This could be a one year job.
    If he and his wife each had 20 years in the La. School system they could draw retirements from La. and work in Texas plus no state tax. If so, financially, it's probably a great move.

I'm happy for him I always thought he needed to go to other programs and maybe one day bring that knowledge back to Tech.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDawg View Post
    If he and his wife each had 20 years in the La. School system they could draw retirements from La. and work in Texas plus no state tax. If so, financially, it's probably a great move.

I'm happy for him I always thought he needed to go to other programs and maybe one day bring that knowledge back to Tech.
    I believe that's 28 years service and 52 years old to draw full retirement. I have a friend that did that.

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

I don't really understand this move by Conroy, especially if he's moving his family. His wife has a great job at Tech and North Texas could be looking for a new head coach if they don't get it turned around this season. This could be a one year job.

Actually, they can make more at UNT with her a professor there than at Tech. Asst. pay comparison is slightly more....remember Conroy started as one of lowest paid assistants and was still in bottom 2-3 when he left. Better education for kids as well. Not a slam, but we all know the Louisiana education sytem for HS and pay at state colleges other than LSU.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CorinthEagle View Post
    Quinn was incredible to watch. If the ball was anywhere close to him he was going to catch it. Still playing in Canada. Sure glad he didn't listen to you HD! :icon_wink:
    Yep. Quinn was drafted by the Buffalo Bills and played for the Green Bay Packers too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Quinn

I never did let Conroy live that one down. Johnny Quinn was an INCREDIBLE talent......but Conroy just couldn't see it. Quinn would have been a great fit for LA Tech's wide open passing offense when McCown was the QB, and later.

HD

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Yep. Quinn was drafted by the Buffalo Bills and played for the Green Bay Packers too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Quinn

I never did let Conroy live that one down. Johnny Quinn was an INCREDIBLE talent......but Conroy just couldn't see it. Quinn would have been a great fit for LA Tech's wide open passing offense when McCown was the QB, and later.

HD
    Conroy told me that if a player wasn't rated on Rivals, he wasn't worth looking at.

Big Dog Darbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the rough

Conroy's kids go to A E Phillips which is an outstanding school.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I believe that's 28 years service and 52 years old to draw full retirement. I have a friend that did that.

Unless it's been changed, it's 20 years.

+ Reply to Thread