+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Houston is going to the dance

2004 Bowl Confidence & 2006 NIT Bracket Champion hoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nice

Re: Houston is going to the dance

To have a 20 win season ever year just play 20 teams 150 or better in the power ratings but you still set a home in post season.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Guess that means Penders is safe for another year or two....that may not be a bad thing.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    Guess that means Penders is safe for another year or two....that may not be a bad thing.
    Penders has "Tournament" experience. He got his team to the dance.

HD

Champ bulldogfan1 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldogfan1 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldogfan1 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldogfan1 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldogfan1 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldogfan1 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldogfan1 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldogfan1 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldogfan1 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldogfan1 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldogfan1 is a glorious beacon of light bulldogfan1's Avatar

Here is my fear:

Rupp wins 6 games his first year (rebuilding year), I will give him year one, even though I am convinced there was little to no effort by him to win more than 6 games. Year two, he wins a few more (15), "Look! We Improved!- to 15". OK great, talent wise we still were not where we needed to be, but hey we improved, I will give him year two. Year three, this is the year, we have the pieces in place to make a great run, a squad full of seniors. A few things dont work out (with supposedly one of the top recruiters in the nation) in getting some kids on campus, and we have no depth. We make an early season run, beat a couple of teams with a low RPI, and here we are 23 wins, sitting at home and happy as can be. But hey, " WE WON 23 GAMES!"

My point is we are at home, when three teams we beat are in the tournament, because our current coach was busy last year winning 15 games instead of focusing on building depth for this years team - our best shot at the Big Dance. I hope yall enjoyed this years 23 wins, and no tournament, because with what I see coming back, unless Rupp can pull a miracle, we are looking at 10 wins at best next year. But hey, I guess we will be rebuilding again, and he will get another pass, despite it being his fourth year and all of his recruits, or lack of.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations bulldogfan1 - YOU "GET IT"! (and good post!)

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Here's how I see Rupp's approach to his job at Tech. He has gone the route of the quick fix by bringing in transfers, jucos and taking a chance on players from 2000 miles away and hoping they can produce. So, one of his choices has worked partially in Magnum Rolle transferring in from lsu. Some of his transfers were kicked off the team before they even played. In my opinion, the jucos haven't been that good. None of the players he recruited from 2000 miles away have been that good either. Several players have been kicked off the team including one local player that is doing very good at another school in a conference that is as good as the WAC or maybe even better. The immediate future does not look bright because Rupp went for the quick fix rather than trying to build a program with high school players. As far as recruiting goes I give him a D.

I only got to see 3 games on TV this year and I wasn't impressed with his coaching. Our favorite play was the 3 pointer and we tried that a lot. Sometimes we tried to get the ball in to Rolle and that worked sometimes. When Rupp told the players to hold the ball to the last second, they never ran a set play. They would dribble and pass the ball until there was one or 2 seconds left on the clock and someone would take a bad shot they had very little chance of making. I would also give him a D for coaching.
    We went 9-7 in conference so you have to call that for what it is, mediocre. The ooc schedule was the easiest we've had in a very long time, so I won't even grade that. We were 6-8 in the last 14 games, so that means there was negative improvemet, so that gets an F.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

DONW - You're in the "Gets It" club! Another reasoned assessment.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

bulldawgfan1, donw, lookingforresults...all your posts are accurate, totally.

Champ mildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond repute mildawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    Here's how I see Rupp's approach to his job at Tech. He has gone the route of the quick fix by bringing in transfers, jucos and taking a chance on players from 2000 miles away and hoping they can produce. So, one of his choices has worked partially in Magnum Rolle transferring in from lsu. Some of his transfers were kicked off the team before they even played. In my opinion, the jucos haven't been that good. None of the players he recruited from 2000 miles away have been that good either. Several players have been kicked off the team including one local player that is doing very good at another school in a conference that is as good as the WAC or maybe even better. The immediate future does not look bright because Rupp went for the quick fix rather than trying to build a program with high school players. As far as recruiting goes I give him a D.

I only got to see 3 games on TV this year and I wasn't impressed with his coaching. Our favorite play was the 3 pointer and we tried that a lot. Sometimes we tried to get the ball in to Rolle and that worked sometimes. When Rupp told the players to hold the ball to the last second, they never ran a set play. They would dribble and pass the ball until there was one or 2 seconds left on the clock and someone would take a bad shot they had very little chance of making. I would also give him a D for coaching.
    We went 9-7 in conference so you have to call that for what it is, mediocre. The ooc schedule was the easiest we've had in a very long time, so I won't even grade that. We were 6-8 in the last 14 games, so that means there was negative improvemet, so that gets an F.
    I think you and I were watching the same channel... I keep reading comments about his coaching ability, but with the exception of one or two games we looked disjointed on the court. Several of the games we won simply because we were athletically superior. But from a tactical X's and O's perspective, I have not been impressed in the least with our coaching.

The fact that our 3-point brick-layers continued to ignore our 7-foot freak of nature named Rolle on the offensive end is unforgivable. Between Rolle and Olu, a little ball movement (ala USU) would have likely benefited us greatly. I understand our guards and forwards have to shoot, but they took way too many bad shots from way too deep without ever having tried to get the ball down low.

And if your guards and forwards were refusing to execute the gameplan properly, then they should have been yanked and put on the bench instead of being allowed to continue their masonry work. Either way you slice it, that's all on the coaching.

I know we're not gonna win 'em all, but I LOVED what I saw against USU in Ruston... and we never saw it again all year long. Sure, execution was partly to blame because we were nearly flawless that night; duplicating that effort would be a rare task. But that was the only game I personally saw all year where it looked like we were a TEAM. Again, that's coaching.

We will ALL know we're back where we need to be when we no longer argue about what was a good season and what wasn't... when we all EXPECT to make the NCAA tournament every year, then we'll know we're where we need to be.

Mildawg, without a vote (the US House has shown us that an actual vote is no longer needed!) I Deem you the president of the new "GETS IT" Club. Do I hear a second?

Champ parisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond repute parisdog's Avatar

I want to know what did Karl ever see in Rupp? He has not impressed me at all. Could Karl use some pull and get Jerry Sloan into Ruston?

Champ mildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond repute mildawg's Avatar

Ha-ha. Thanks. I have a feeling a coup will ensue and I will be hanged for crimes against the board.

To be honest, I wish we were talking about who we were playing in the NCAA or NIT tournament.

Big Dog kdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by mildawg View Post
    I think you and I were watching the same channel... I keep reading comments about his coaching ability, but with the exception of one or two games we looked disjointed on the court. Several of the games we won simply because we were athletically superior. But from a tactical X's and O's perspective, I have not been impressed in the least with our coaching.

The fact that our 3-point brick-layers continued to ignore our 7-foot freak of nature named Rolle on the offensive end is unforgivable. Between Rolle and Olu, a little ball movement (ala USU) would have likely benefited us greatly. I understand our guards and forwards have to shoot, but they took way too many bad shots from way too deep without ever having tried to get the ball down low.

And if your guards and forwards were refusing to execute the gameplan properly, then they should have been yanked and put on the bench instead of being allowed to continue their masonry work. Either way you slice it, that's all on the coaching.

I know we're not gonna win 'em all, but I LOVED what I saw against USU in Ruston... and we never saw it again all year long. Sure, execution was partly to blame because we were nearly flawless that night; duplicating that effort would be a rare task. But that was the only game I personally saw all year where it looked like we were a TEAM. Again, that's coaching.

We will ALL know we're back where we need to be when we no longer argue about what was a good season and what wasn't... when we all EXPECT to make the NCAA tournament every year, then we'll know we're where we need to be.
    I agree with this last part. But I'm not sure anyone is saying we are "there." My case is we have had a long way to go for a long time now. This school hasn't been able to "expect" tournament bids for 20 years. Some of you act as if we have been top 10 team all this time and Rupp has ruined our entire reputation, i.e. UNC this year. Absolutely not. What should be stated is that progress is being made, and we should be happy this has taken place. You don't have to be satisfied, I a sure you none of those coaches or players are satisfied with this. They will want to continue to improve and keep moving toward getting "there." This will take time. Don't ever settle, but be able to see the progress being made.

Big Dog kdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by mildawg View Post
    Ha-ha. Thanks. I have a feeling a coup will ensue and I will be hanged for crimes against the board.

To be honest, I wish we were talking about who we were playing in the NCAA or NIT tournament.
    Obviously all of us wish this were the case. But if we had made the NIT, we would be saying we wished we were talking about the NCAA. And I have a feeling if we weren't in any postseason tourny, some would be saying how they wished we were still playing.

Quote Originally Posted by kdk008 View Post
    Obviously all of us wish this were the case. But if we had made the NIT, we would be saying we wished we were talking about the NCAA. And I have a feeling if we weren't in any postseason tourny, some would be saying how they wished we were still playing.
    Some might, but many of us remember when these postseason appearances were fairly commonplace. With our recent history, I guess anything is a step forward... but putting everything in context, I don't think ANYONE on this board would have been happy with the NIT/CIT/CBI back when we were 17-2. We TANKED down the stretch and played ourselves OUT of the NCAAs and even the NIT.

Sure, people are complaining about having to settle.

+ Reply to Thread