+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tornado risk in lower MS River valley

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Tornado risk in lower MS River valley

Just a heads-up: To all the Dawgs living in the Lower Mississippi River Valley, from just south of Memphis down to Baton Rouge, there is a decently high risk of tornadoes today, according to the national weather service. Be careful out there, folks!

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

Re: Tornado risk in lower MS River valley

Thanks for posting this. I got caught sleeping on this one. The hatched area indicates that they expect a significant tornado (EF-2+) in that area. Definately worth keeping an eye out for.

The highest risk has migrated slightly north BTW

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems ripe for some big storms and/or tornadoes today just from the way the wind is blowing, the dew point, and temperature here in Baton Rouge. If it's like that here, considering what the weather service is saying about the rest of the Lower MS River Valley, I can definitely see some kind of little tornado outbreak around Vicksburg, Jackson, Greenville... Hopefully not though, especially since it wasn't long ago that Yazoo got hit pretty hard.

There are now tornado warnings for Winn and Natchitoches Parishes, and Newton County, TX.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

I am watching it on radar. Sadly it is getting its act together. Moving just south of Natchitoches right now.

Here is a shot of it right now
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is possibly a second tornado on its heels. Of course only 40% of mesocylones actually form tornadoes but these look pretty ripe. FWIW, the couplet that moved just south of Natchitoches looks intense. I pray there isn't a tornado with it. Where is the university in proximity to the downtown area?

NSU is a little SW of downtown. Hopefully that storm doesn't hurt anything. It looks nasty.

Yeah to me the concern now is the other two in line behind it. They aren't warned yet but they could be. I am not looking at this with great tools right now so I suppose the velocities are lower than I think. It looks like a second warning should be issued to me.

OK they warned what I am calling the third one. Natchitoches is at the end of that warning box. If they extend the warning they will have their second tornado threat of the day. Almost same path as the first storm. There is also some rotation between the two warnings that might spin up something weak. It looked pretty strong for a few frames.

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    OK they warned what I am calling the third one. Natchitoches is at the end of that warning box. If they extend the warning they will have their second tornado threat of the day. Almost same path as the first storm. There is also some rotation between the two warnings that might spin up something weak. It looked pretty strong for a few frames.

If it's like that around Natchitoches right now, I wonder what we're going to see closer to the MS River this evening...

Champ Tdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the rough Tdawg87's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu7 View Post
    It seems ripe for some big storms and/or tornadoes today just from the way the wind is blowing, the dew point, and temperature here in Baton Rouge. If it's like that here, considering what the weather service is saying about the rest of the Lower MS River Valley, I can definitely see some kind of little tornado outbreak around Vicksburg, Jackson, Greenville... Hopefully not though, especially since it wasn't long ago that Yazoo got hit pretty hard.

Same feeling where I am, although it is getting cooler....Hopefully not is right. I'm not far from Yazoo City, Vicksburg and the Jackson area. Work in Jackson and live about 40-45 miles, respectively, from Yazoo City and Vicksburg. Tornado watch in effect until 9:00 pm. Gotta ways to go to wait on this storm blowing by...blowing lightly of course.

The National Weather Service has now issued a public severe weather outlook, so it could be a crappy night for some folks...

Possible strong tornado passing Atlanta and headed for Winnfield. It APPEARS like it has colapsed on the last frame but it is still a dangerous situation. It could be cycling which means another strong tornado can form at any time.

FWIW, I am not a professional so take what I am writing here with a grain of salt. Please tune in to folks who get paid to do this. Do take it seriously though.

Whew it looks gloomy here in BR right now... I wish I didn't live on the top floor of my building sometimes.

+ Reply to Thread