+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Florida State Article

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Florida State Article

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    FSU didn't wave the "elite" flag. Tech did. If anyone thinks the Tech women's basketball program is among the elite they are delusional.

Doesn't mean the Techsters cannot be among the elite once again, but winning over Fresno by two points in the tournament after losing at home to Utah State and others who have some of the lowest RPI's in the country does not make the program elite.

It's scrappy. It is showing signs of coming back. The reporter stated the obvious.

The Techsters don't need motivation for Saturday's game other than you lose, you go home. You play your best and lose, you go home a winner. You play mediocre and lose, the return to the tourney means very little. In fact, the progress Spoon is making can take a step BACK if the Techsters who lost to Utah show up. If the Techsters who beat Fresno show up on Saturday, and play for 40 minutes, regardless of the outcome it is a step forward for the program and recruiting.

A loss isn't a loss in the tourney. It's how you win AND how you lose.
    Man! Now THAT is a great post! I agree with everything you said - and we both know that is rare!

All I ask is that they fight for the full game and give it all they got. Making the tournament is the first step in a long travel up. The second step is to leave it all on the floor win or lose.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I love this from Spoon in one of many articles today:

"You have to understand what was said to us and to our program that has had such a rich history about what we couldn’t do anymore, that it wouldn’t happen,” Weatherspoon said. “That we had to give it four or five years. I don’t coach my kids and tell them, ‘In four or five years you’re going to be here and you’re going to do this and that.’ We are about right now. When our kids accomplished what they worked for, it was a tremendous feat. But what we’ve done means nothing now. It’s 0-0, and it’s about will, who wants it the most.”

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I love Spoon's attitude and approach.

Coaching is as much psychology, mentoring, consoling, motivating, disciplining...as it is Xs and Os. It's part of the profession that I embraced when I coached.

The most important game? The next one.
    Dance with who brought ya.
    It's us against the world.
    This is not about the school, or your families and friends, this is about YOU, this is your time!
    Can't change the past, what are we gonna do about it now?
    Nobody....except you and I....thinks we can win this game. Who cares what they think? Not me!

Those and other comments I've uttered to teams.

But my personal favorite:

They may have fancier uniforms, they may have more trophies in their trophy case, they may think they are "something." Okay...fine. But for me, I wouldn't trade places with their coach. I have something he doesn't have. I have you! {pause} After this game, he is gonna wish he had you too. Take it to 'em!

And as Dr. Lou says: You don't have to be the best team in the nation, only the best team in the arena.

+ Reply to Thread