+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interesting Batting Practice

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Interesting Batting Practice

While waiting for the game to start yesterday my son and I sat in the car and watched what we could see of USM's batting warmups at 6PM. They were hitting what looked like GOLFBALLS. Of course we couldn't see into the covered cages but pretty regularly one of these balls would come bouncing outside the building after being hit.

Tech warmed up as usual by hitting baseballs. Does anyone know if we also use a "miniball" hitting drill? It reminded me of our WRs and DBs catching tennis balls in football practice.

LaTech Occupy Gameday Czar! techfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to behold

Re: Interesting Batting Practice

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    While waiting for the game to start yesterday my son and I sat in the car and watched what we could see of USM's batting warmups at 6PM. They were hitting what looked like GOLFBALLS. Of course we couldn't see into the covered cages but pretty regularly one of these balls would come bouncing outside the building after being hit.

Tech warmed up as usual by hitting baseballs. Does anyone know if we also use a "miniball" hitting drill? It reminded me of our WRs and DBs catching tennis balls in football practice.
    They were probably golf ball size wiffle balls. Very common drill. What's harder is hitting those small balls with a broom stick. They also make bats that are as thin as a broom stick to help with contact.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

That could have been. These didn't look as light as the little plastic wiffle balls we all hit as kids, nor did they seem as heavy as golfballs. They definitely 'pinged' off the aluminum bats.

LaTech Occupy Gameday Czar! techfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to behold

They do make mini baseballs. Maybe that was it

I probably wasn't seeing what I thought. Since we couldn't actually view into the cages the 'pings' must have been from hit baseballs and the wiffle balls just seemed to come out simultaneously.

Champ girldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    They definitely 'pinged' off the aluminum bats.
    Ping-pong balls maybe???

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techfan01 View Post
    They were probably golf ball size wiffle balls. Very common drill. What's harder is hitting those small balls with a broom stick. They also make bats that are as thin as a broom stick to help with contact.
    Very common here in Texas as well. And if we don't use this little trick we should.

Varsity Bulldog PTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the rough PTDAWG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techfan01 View Post
    They do make mini baseballs. Maybe that was it
    That is what they were. They are about half the size of a regular baseball but made exactly like them and have the same "ping". Good for making sure you hit the middle of the ball. And holy crap will they fly. That's why they are only used in cages. Just have to use and old bat cause they will eventually dent the bat. We used to sneak some out on the field in batting practice and look like Babe Ruth hitting. I'm talking legit 500'+ shots!

Quote Originally Posted by PTDAWG View Post
    That is what they were. They are about half the size of a regular baseball but made exactly like them and have the same "ping". Good for making sure you hit the middle of the ball. And holy crap will they fly. That's why they are only used in cages. Just have to use and old bat cause they will eventually dent the bat. We used to sneak some out on the field in batting practice and look like Babe Ruth hitting. I'm talking legit 500'+ shots!
    Oh i know. We used to hit them on the field too. Your not lying, they will freaking fly.

Varsity Bulldog grimey has turned a few heads around heregrimey has turned a few heads around heregrimey has turned a few heads around here grimey's Avatar

I had taken my son to hitting cames at Tulane back when Coach Brokoff was coach. He used wiffle golf balls and a broom stick to teach hand and eye coordination. At the time Tulane was in the tops in the country in hitting.

+ Reply to Thread