+ Reply to Thread

Thread: just an idea

Varsity Bulldog osl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time osl530's Avatar

just an idea

since Tech is pouring all of this money into the athletic program could it spare some extra money for the music program. if you look at these mega football schools you'll notice that their bands are pretty intense and to me they play a pretty big roll in the gameday atmosphere. i love our band and they do a great job but the band of pride is a little on the weak side. maybe Tech could consider upping scholarships for it and make it bigger, and give insentive for the members to stay because they have crazy practice times. i know i wouldn't do it for that small of a scholarship.

and since i brought it up, can we think of a better gameday ritual? playing at the president's house is kind of lame if you ask me. i've had this idea for a while so hear me out. it would start with a rally either in the quad or the plaza(i'd perfer the quad but that's just me) then there would be a parade from there down Tech Dr. through the tailgating and to the stands. i think that would be a way to draw people that are still oncampus to the game because i am shocked at how many students stay in their dorms and apartments on gameday. it would also draw the community more into the gameday atmosphere. and it would be really cool if we could get fans to line the street the whole way, and if they were all wearing blue we could call it "The Blue Mile"...i've seriously been thinkin about this a lot..i don't mean to bring down other traditions i'm just giving my input on ways to enhance them.

incase you don't get what i'm talking about here's some ideas. regardless they're from two schools that Tech has historically hated, there's no denying that their gameday is pretty sweet.

it's pretty late and i can't sleep so if i sounded like i was rambling...sorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqH1pegUBBo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD7WL...eature=related

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: just an idea

Quote Originally Posted by osl530 View Post
    since Tech is pouring all of this money into the athletic program could it spare some extra money for the music program. if you look at these mega football schools you'll notice that their bands are pretty intense and to me they play a pretty big roll in the gameday atmosphere. i love our band and they do a great job but the band of pride is a little on the weak side. maybe Tech could consider upping scholarships for it and make it bigger, and give insentive for the members to stay because they have crazy practice times. i know i wouldn't do it for that small of a scholarship.

and since i brought it up, can we think of a better gameday ritual? playing at the president's house is kind of lame if you ask me. i've had this idea for a while so hear me out. it would start with a rally either in the quad or the plaza(i'd perfer the quad but that's just me) then there would be a parade from there down Tech Dr. through the tailgating and to the stands. i think that would be a way to draw people that are still oncampus to the game because i am shocked at how many students stay in their dorms and apartments on gameday. it would also draw the community more into the gameday atmosphere. and it would be really cool if we could get fans to line the street the whole way, and if they were all wearing blue we could call it "The Blue Mile"...i've seriously been thinkin about this a lot..i don't mean to bring down other traditions i'm just giving my input on ways to enhance them.

incase you don't get what i'm talking about here's some ideas. regardless they're from two schools that Tech has historically hated, there's no denying that their gameday is pretty sweet.

I have wanted the march from the Quad to the stadium for a loooooong time. Seems just too easy to do. Along with that, volunteers knocking on dorm doors and starting a stream of people marching down to the stadium behind the band. This would be HUGE and get a lot of attention and more students involved. Do it "second line" style and it would be a blast!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Are you suggesting that the Tech band play Rocky Top??? (as a tribute to DD...)

j/k

Everyone loves a parade! So, not just the band, but other organizations.....yes the cheerleaders and Regal Blues, of course, but frats and sorries can divide up the home games and one or two build a "float" (truck and trailer) with that game's theme. Ya know...... "Sink the Navy!" or "Pluck the Eagles!" or something more clever....

Also, I like the idea of community involvement.....so surrounding towns can be invited as special guests....like it's Jonesboro Day! and the mayor and a contingent of folks can be honorary fans....ride in the parade...sit together and be introduced during the game. And finally.....steal an idea from NSU: guest coaches. Faculty members and a few Ruston-area dignitaries (city council members, for example) are invited to be guest coaches for a home game. They too ride in the parade and get sideline passes for the game.

Of course, local schools, church groups, the Scouts, etc...would have a standing invitation to build a float or walk along in the parade as a group, carrying banners (dressed in royal blue, of course!) and whooping and hollering.

Just a few thoughts.

Varsity Bulldog osl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeosl530 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time osl530's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Are you suggesting that the Tech band play Rocky Top??? (as a tribute to DD...)

haha if we were closer to the appalachians i'd be all for it. tennessee's fight song is bad a.

Bulldog NB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her gameNB is on top of his/her game

Athletics doesn't need to give the band any money until they are financially independent of the state. Plain and simple, you don't need to try and support others financially until you can fully support yourself.

I like the idea of the BAND/SPIRIT GROUPS marching to the stadium, not so much having a parade with other groups involved. The band, cheerleaders, regal blues will be enough.

I would have the band assemble at the band building and then march to the stadium from there. I think it will be easier logistically for them that way (we're also going to have to get them all back to the band building afterwards with their instruments since they won't be parking at the stadium anymore). Have them march down Mayfield Ave. to West Railroad Ave., up Tech Drive and then up Alabama to the backside of the TAC. From there, have them march around the South side of the TAC (along the sidewalk) around to the front where they can do a concert on the steps. (I hope the steps don't mess them up).

If they follow that route, it will take them by all of the tailgating spots and then let them finish by marching around the stadium to the east side.

It would be nice if you could coordinate with the teams arrival so that the team could arrive just after the concert and unload at the steps of the TAC, and then walk to the fieldhouse from there.

i wasn't meaning the athletic department should give them money. and that route is stretching it a little. what would really make this a cool experience would be the fan participation and i don't think we have enough for that route...yet.

i like the idea of playing on the TAC steps though. i wish they'd tear up all that parking on the west side and turn that into green space and make it a nice little grove for tailgating. i really like the greeks down in hideaway park is a nice situation for tailgating. so good job whoever got that changed.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Can't wait to see DD change this at Tennessee so his team will be welcomed by the band at its arrival to their dressing room exactly two hours before kickoff.

Even more, can't wait to see what SD is gonna do with his teams' arrivals on gameday.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread