+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball Drills

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Baseball Drills

A few I remember:

Hitting wiffle golf balls with a broom stick

Hitting white beans with a bat

Inside a batting cage - have the kids line up in the box ready to hit - put up a pitching fence and stand in the halfway point - then rapid fire throw tennis balls - it helps with bat speed

All I can remember right now.

LaTech Occupy Gameday Czar! techfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to behold

Any hitting of the tee drills will help. Also make competitions out of drills, the kids will love it. My dad used to coach me in dixie and we played a game called king of the mountain. Get all the players in the line. Hit a ground ball to the first player, make sure he fields it without bobbling the ball (any bobble and they are out), and have them throw the ball back to the catcher next to the coach who is hitting the ground balls, if they throw it bad to the catcher then they are out also. The last player still in the competition wins. The more rounds you get into the harder you make the balls to field. The kids get a lot of practice fielding balls and making accurate throws and have a great time doing it.

LaTech Occupy Gameday Czar! techfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to behold

Also start kids young at going to opposite field while hitting a outside pitch. So many hitters are all pull hitters and cant hit a outside pitch to save their life. In batting practice throw them outside pitches over and over again to help with this. Tee drills will help. Set the tee on the outside and around the back foot the help kids get used to driving the ball to opposite field.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Here is the banner of the young men you are helping out. Keep giving advice and thanks again. They loved the tennis ball drill and "king of the mountain". More to come.:icon_wink:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by PTDAWG View Post
    Get a few balls and some sharpie pens (red, blue, green, black). Colors don't matter I guess, that's just what we used. Color each quadrant of the ball between the stitches a different color. Use these balls in batting practice. Every 5th or 6th pitch to each batter throw this ball (4-seam fastball works best). Have the batter (after hitting this ball) tell you what color he saw when he made contact. You will be surprised at how well it makes your batters actually track the ball and concentrate to determine the color. You won't know and sometimes they won't know what color was actually right but that's not the point.
    Great advice PTDAWG!

On our website, we've provided a link to an MLB Channel Diamond Demo, showing how to use color with a plastic wiffle style ball. We also have additional hitting drill guidance on the website that we have developed using input from a current MLB player.

www.BigLeagueEyes.com

Big League Eyes
    Baseball and Softball Hitting Solutions

The Finest Vision Training Products. Period.™

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

Have them face the fence in their batting stance. Hold knob of bat against belly button and have end of barrell touching the fence. Without backing away from the fence, have them swing without the bat making contact with the fence. This will prevent a looping swing and teach them to stay inside the ball.

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

For your pitchers,teach them that throwing a first pitch strike is the most important thing they can do.

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

And teach them to wear their caps like a baseball player, not an abercrombie model.

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by Chris29 View Post
    And teach them to wear their caps like a baseball player, not an abercrombie model.
    AMEN brother

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Hitting drill- soft toss into a net or fence is great for timing and footwork at the plate. You can do that with baseballs or wiffle balls. Just toss the ball up from the side and the hitter hits the ball into the net.

Outfield drill. Footwork is key when delivering the ball from deep in the outfield. Get a bucket and lay it over on it's side. The fielder charges in and fields a ground ball as they stide over the bucket and deliver the ball to the short stop or second baseman in one motion. If right handed, their left foot should land in front of the bucket and their right foot leads over it. 2 strides past the bucket they release the ball toward the infield. It will be rough at first, but they can do it. Footwork is opposite for lefty.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Also teach them to wear their pants like a ballplayer. Show some sock. I hate the pants being down around their heels.

Champ Goose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to behold Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Also teach them to wear their pants like a ballplayer. Show some sock. I hate the pants being down around their heels.
    I agree about the hats but honestly I couldn't care less what they wear as long as they are playing well. If you want to wear MC Hammer pants and hit .450 thats fine with me.

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    I agree about the hats but honestly I couldn't care less what they wear as long as they are playing well. If you want to wear MC Hammer pants and hit .450 thats fine with me.
    You aren't a pureist. Also, let's face it... how many people hit .450? Teach them to respect the game and not to make a mockery of it. Wearing pants down and hats sideways are examples of "big leagueing it." To quote Bull Durham, "Your shower shoes have fungus on them. You'll never make it to the bigs with fungus on your shower shoes. Think classy, you'll be classy. If you win 20 in the show, you can let the fungus grow back and the press'll think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the show, however, it means you are a slob."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE collar View Post
    You aren't a pureist. Also, let's face it... how many people hit .450?
    Depends on whose mamma is keeping the book.

I do plan on keeping a more accurate book this year. Some of those errors are about to be charged from here out.:icon_wink: Some of the averages reported before all star voting are just rediculous.

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Depends on whose mamma is keeping the book.

I do plan on keeping a more accurate book this year. Some of those errors are about to be charged from here out.:icon_wink: Some of the averages reported before all star voting are just rediculous.
    Oh I see it in high school ball, too. I looked at a box score the other day in the paper that said a kid was 3 for 4 with a triple and a double... in my book however, I had the kid as 1-4 with a double (one base error gave the triple). The double was on a ball that hit off the center fielders glove on a can-o-corn (should have been out) and the single was on a throwing error.

+ Reply to Thread