+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Techster Recruiting

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

Re: Techster Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by philgarris View Post
    We have to decide do we want to win or do we want to have true freshmen on the team! We will not have both, we don't garner that type of talent at this point. We have to go the unconventional way of JUCO because we need players that can come in and contribute from day one and be impact players and we will not get that with High School freshmen.
    We are a year or two away from having that luxury. T-Spoon knows exactly what she is doing and I can clearly see her vision on this and love what she is building.
    Maybe someone should tell the Baylor coaching staff that they are doing it all wrong. Baylor had three freshmen on their final four team. Getting hooked on JUCOs is like getting hooked on drugs. You are constantly looking for your next fix. I am very anxious to see if a JUCO in Florida has THREE players that can immediately contribute to the Techsters success. I hope that I am pleasantly surprised. I can't wait to see.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    Maybe someone should tell the Baylor coaching staff that they are doing it all wrong. Baylor had three freshmen on their final four team. Getting hooked on JUCOs is like getting hooked on drugs. You are constantly looking for your next fix. I am very anxious to see if a JUCO in Florida has THREE players that can immediately contribute to the Techsters success. I hope that I am pleasantly surprised. I can't wait to see.
    Sharky,
    Baylor had the type reputation to bring in TOP freshmen for this class. We want to do the same thing, but Phil's point was that we were not at that place right now to get the top freshmen. If you aren't at the place you can get them, you get some JUCo's to help you get there. Once we are back as a top 20 program, we will be able to get those type freshmen again.

Big Dog exit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really nice exit84's Avatar

The Techsters must sign a big girl if we ever hope to get back into the top 20.
    Sure, if we sign 6'1 or 6'2 girls we can compete in the WAC but not on the national scene.

Big Dog ESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her game ESPNGuy's Avatar

+1

Quote Originally Posted by exit84 View Post
    Sure, if we sign 6'1 or 6'2 girls we can compete in the WAC but not on the national scene.
    I agree with that statement. All the teams that made the final four this year had a buy girl 6'4 or taller that made a difference.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Generally speaking, that is mostly true. But obviously, it depends on which 6' 1" girls you're talking about. Maya Moore is 6' 1" and if I were to build a WBB team right now, my #1 draft pick would be Moore. Yes, I'd take her before Griner and Charles (although they would be #2 and #3 choices).

Notre Dame had big girls, although only one started and was a significant contributor, but mostly they were a 4-guard team, and often played significant minutes without a big on the floor. ND won games in the Big East and against ranked opponents with 5 players, all under 6'0", carrying the load for most of the game (due to their one good big girl being in foul trouble).

My point is, while I understand the generic point of size, it's really about signing the best available players/athletes, then building a scheme around their abilities.

Varsity Bulldog Iceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the rough

Big Grin Re: Techster Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I agree. He has a ton of talent, but they aren't doing much. What they have done is off pure talent - not coaching.
    That sounds all too familiar.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    That sounds all too familiar.
    VERY familiar!

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Generally speaking, that is mostly true. But obviously, it depends on which 6' 1" girls you're talking about. Maya Moore is 6' 1" and if I were to build a WBB team right now, my #1 draft pick would be Moore. Yes, I'd take her before Griner and Charles (although they would be #2 and #3 choices).

Notre Dame had big girls, although only one started and was a significant contributor, but mostly they were a 4-guard team, and often played significant minutes without a big on the floor. ND won games in the Big East and against ranked opponents with 5 players, all under 6'0", carrying the load for most of the game (due to their one good big girl being in foul trouble).

My point is, while I understand the generic point of size, it's really about signing the best available players/athletes, then building a scheme around their abilities.
    I agree...... Also, look at how Dowdell dominated Florida State in the tournament. The problem was we couldn't hit out outside shots in that game. I want us to get some bigs too, but they have to fit what we need. Pam Kelly wasn't that tall, but was one of the best posts in the history of the game. We have Anderson, who is taller than Dowdell, for next year. I hope she can fill those shoes.

Big Dog exit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really nice exit84's Avatar

I agree...... Also, look at how Dowdell dominated Florida State in the tournament. The problem was we couldn't hit out outside shots in that game. I want us to get some bigs too, but they have to fit what we need. Pam Kelly wasn't that tall, but was one of the best posts in the history of the game. We have Anderson, who is taller than Dowdell, for next year. I hope she can fill those shoes.
    Dowdell did dominate, but we still lost. If we had a big girl, we would not have had to depent on the outside shooters so much to win the game. It could have made the difference.

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

Dowdell did dominate, but we still lost. If we had a big girl, we would not have had to depent on the outside shooters so much to win the game. It could have made the difference.
    Dowdell dominated in the first half. Florida State shut her down in the second half with double and sometimes triple teaming. The FS coach made adjustments at half time. Our coach did not in the second half. To sustain a top 20 ranking you need adequate post players and superb outside shooter/shooters.

It also helps to be in a conference that merits respect and the WAC doesn't. Nobody on the east side of the Rocky Mtns. gives a rat's butt about what is happening in the WAC except Tech. Tech was seeded 14 and Fresno was awarded a whopping 13 even though Fresno was 30-1 or something similar prior to the NCAA tournament.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    Tech was seeded 14 and Fresno was awarded a whopping 13 even though Fresno was 30-1 or something similar prior to the NCAA tournament.

27-5 before the loss to Baylor.

The point is that Dowdell couldn't do it by herself. The FS girls were MUCH bigger, but they had to double team Dowdell (actually, they zoned a lot in the second half). Dowdell at her height with some hot shooters from the outside would have won the game. Dowdell being 3 inches taller wouldn't have.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Amanda Wilson might have been 6' 0", more like 5' 11", and was one of the best inside players in Techster history. Probably not a coincidence she led us to our last FF appearance (1999). She had skills and basketball savvy. Knew how to use that drop-step to create enough space to get off her shot against taller opponents, and she didn't miss chippy shots. She finished.

But...yeah! I'll take a 6' 5" girl with great skills, sure! Of course! You know of any we can sign?

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Amanda Wilson might have been 6' 0", more like 5' 11", and was one of the best inside players in Techster history. Probably not a coincidence she led us to our last FF appearance (1999). She had skills and basketball savvy. Knew how to use that drop-step to create enough space to get off her shot against taller opponents, and she didn't miss chippy shots. She finished.

But...yeah! I'll take a 6' 5" girl with great skills, sure! Of course! You know of any we can sign?
    Total agreement!

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

Total agreement!
    ---
    Amanda Wilson was a great player but believe that Johnson is just as talented!
    We already have some great players coming in next year and if by chance we get another awesome recruit to boot we will all have a big time supporting the Techsters as they make a run in the NCAA's next year!

+ Reply to Thread