+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: vs. Texas A&M

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Football vs. Texas A&M

At first glance at the 2010 schedule, the two names that pop out are the ever-lurking Boise State and Texas A&M.

We haven't ever beaten A&M, and we haven't played since '06. At first, I thought this was a sure blow-out road money game.

Now I'm not so sure. They went 6-7 last year and had some pretty bad games. They have the same problems in the spread that Texas and Florida have: fast quarterbacks and no receivers to match. Therefore, the QBs are forced to rely on their legs. Hence the 100+ yds each QB scored in the Texas-Texas A&M game.

Our secondary was good last year and looks to improve under Dykes. That should hold Johnson to the ground, at least. But can the line and the LBs put enough pressure on him to prevent the QB scramble? Especially considering the loss of D'Anthony Smith.

A&M comes off of a 6-7 season that ended with a drubbing in the Indy Bowl to Georgia, 44-20.

Now, I think it's within the realm of possibility, with an improved defense and a consistent offense, to not only hold them down, but win. Perhaps not by much.

Our main problem is 4th qtr fatigue...as evidenced in last minute losses to Boise State and LSU last season. If we overcome that - there is no reason that we cannot beat A&M.

Also remember that Dykes has experience through Texas Tech of Big 12 football.

Thoughts? Am I shooting too high?

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar

Re: vs. Texas A&M

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    At first glance at the 2010 schedule, the two names that pop out are the ever-lurking Boise State and Texas A&M.

We haven't ever beaten A&M, and we haven't played since '06. At first, I thought this was a sure blow-out road money game.

Now I'm not so sure. They went 6-7 last year and had some pretty bad games. They have the same problems in the spread that Texas and Florida have: fast quarterbacks and no receivers to match. Therefore, the QBs are forced to rely on their legs. Hence the 100+ yds each QB scored in the Texas-Texas A&M game.

Our secondary was good last year and looks to improve under Dykes. That should hold Johnson to the ground, at least. But can the line and the LBs put enough pressure on him to prevent the QB scramble? Especially considering the loss of D'Anthony Smith.

A&M comes off of a 6-7 season that ended with a drubbing in the Indy Bowl to Georgia, 44-20.

Now, I think it's within the realm of possibility, with an improved defense and a consistent offense, to not only hold them down, but win. Perhaps not by much.

Our main problem is 4th qtr fatigue...as evidenced in last minute losses to Boise State and LSU last season. If we overcome that - there is no reason that we cannot beat A&M.

We have a very, very good chance to win this game next year. Tech has had much bigger upsets in the past than this game would be if we won. Plus we are WAY overdue to beat those guys!

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I think we lost to LSU and Boise State last year b/c of lack of offensive innovation. I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict our offense will be improved next season.

Varsity Bulldog LThoo Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLThoo Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLThoo Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLThoo Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLThoo Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLThoo Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLThoo Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLThoo Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLThoo Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLThoo Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLThoo Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

lets not get ahead of ourselves. This is a new system and an early game in a hostile environment with most likely a new starter. We were all saying the same thing last year about the Auburn game and that didn't happen.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Beating them would not open the throttle for a Cinderella season, it would make Boise State seem a whole lot more beatable.

Everyone goes on about how good Boise State is, and I admit they out-scale the WAC. But for a lower high-level team like Boise, winning your 8 conference games is no biggie. There were two games that impressed me last year: their wins against #16 Oregon and #4 TCU. But the other three OCC games were against Bowling Green, UC Davis, and Tulsa. Give me a break. Start playing some real teams, then we can talk BCS buster.
    But they have Virginia Tech to open 2010, and that should be interesting. My money's on VT. Once the Broncos realize they're not perfect, morale will drop, paving the way for a possible loss to Tech.

I won't bite off more than I can chew, however. I'll settle for 7-5 and a win over A&M.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Boise State was very good--as good as anybody in the country last year. They will be better next season...

The Auburn game was ranked in the Top Ten Scariest OCC games for the SEC.

The Dawgs take big bites to get media attention, and its good for us.
    Dykes has a monster of an OCC schedule ahead...it does take a while to revamp a team to a new coach so the big games like A&M and Navy will be real strainers.

Boise St. turned down a 2-for-1 deal with Nebraska. Fear of losing, perhaps? Draw your own conclusions. They're good, but not that good. They need to move up a conference. That opens up teams like Nevada, Fresno, and La Tech to actually compete on some level. Not to mention the other WAC whipping boys (some of whom whipped us, I am ashamed to admit).

Boise St. turned down a 2-for-1 deal with Nebraska. Fear of losing, perhaps? Draw your own conclusions. They're good, but not that good. They need to move up a conference. That opens up teams like Nevada, Fresno, and La Tech to actually compete on some level. Not to mention the other WAC whipping boys (some of whom whipped us, I am ashamed to admit).
    Why would a top 5 team agree to a 2 for 1 with a lesser team? Alabama looked underwhelming at times last season, but they won. Boise State, I think, has a legitimate argument for being national champions. Same goes for Utah the year previous.

They might have a legit argument, but if they're serious about it, they need to get a stronger schedule. Winning the WAC is not going to cut it for the BCS moguls. And I agree with them. Even (in another universe) if Tech went 13-0 next season, I can almost guarantee they wouldn't get a Natl. bid. Why? Because they would have beaten 7 WAC teams. Boise St. and the OC games are the strongest games.

For any team in a non-BCS conference like the MWC or WAC, the key to BCS love has to be the OC games. That's where the mettle of a team comes out. If you play down your whole season, like Boise State has done for about 10 years, then you never get a real chance to show what you can do.

Maybe I'm just talking smack. I do think they have a bid. But if they want it, they have to prove that they can earn it.

Champ SixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of light

And, back on topic, you have to remember that mobile QB's have always given us trouble. We'll shut down their scrambling, but at the cost of career-high passing yards. Just look at Nevada '08.

I just hope that T-Spang will finally have that figured out for this game. Maybe some depth and talent at LB that we've been lacking for the last few years will help us here. Either way, it all remains to be seen. This game does stand as our best chance to beat aTm that I can remember.

Agreed. The LBs will be the key to this game. The secondary, especially the CBs, performed incredibly in the face of overwhelming mismatch last year against two SEC teams and Boise St. Due to injuries, most of the 2nd string has experience against these spread O teams, and since Tech will be implementing a similar O, the D will improve there as well.

Scramblers come from unbalanced teams with too much talent at QB and nowhere to put it. Sure, UF and UT have great receivers. Just not great enough. And if Tech's CBs and Ss can put enough coverage on and shut down the air game, then it's up to the line.

It's hard to make predictions barely, what, 4 practices with a new O and D in, but the DL and LBs are going to be the deciding factor on our D side of the ball.

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

They've also got a good, true freshman RB, Christine Michael. His stats aren't stellar, and I don't know how good their OL, as any RB is only as good as the lanes he gets, but I saw him play in that Texas game and he was impressive. He has the raw talent to be a gamebreaker for A&M this year.

Link to freshman highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ynz-r-vKag

Edit: One, nay two men don't make a TEAM. I mark this as "winable with our A game", and I expect no less after tunning against GSU.

Champ DawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the rough

I really wish we were playing last year's A&M team with this year's Tech team. I believe that A&M is supposed to be improving a good bit this year compared to last year's team. I know their offense was good last year and probably will be better this year, I just hope their defense is still as terrible as it was against Texas last year. I think this is a very winnable game if we get turnovers and the offense keeps moving the chains and putting 7's on the board. I say on September 11th, 2010, let's go down to College Station, Texas, burn down Kyle Field and leave with our second win of the season!

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Boise St. turned down a 2-for-1 deal with Nebraska. Fear of losing, perhaps? Draw your own conclusions.
    I assumed they turned it down because it was a 2-for-1. Why should they have to give up an extra away game?

Winning the WAC is not going to cut it for the BCS moguls. And I agree with them.
    You know they've played in two BCS bowls, right? It "cut it" those two years.

+ Reply to Thread