62. You may not vote on this poll
  • One and done in the higher tournament

43 69.35%
  • Win it all in the lower tournament

19 30.65%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Would you prefer

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Would you prefer

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    We won the consolation game of the NIT against FLA in NYC in 1986 and how often is that mentioned?

Very seldom...
    Dwayne, that is not a fair question. There are so many brain-dead posters on this MB they wouldn't know to mention it.

Next to the 1985 success, advancing to the Final Four of the NIT, especially back then when it meant a lot more than it does today, is the biggest accomplishment in Tech MBB history. Beat Providence, on the road, to get to NY too.

In the last 20 years, or so, one of the best accomplishments was the Gerrod-Tiger team that beat Vandy and almost toppled Villanova, on the road, in the NIT.

But this thread and discussion is silly and misses the point. EVERY team starts out to try to win their conference. In fact, it should be the goal of every team to win every game! I cannot fathom not wanting, and trying, to win every game. We're gonna go 28-0 in the regular season. Then 3-0 in the conf tourney, now we're dancing. And then go 6-0 and be National Champs! That should be every team's goal.

But, reality gets in the way and that doesn't happen (unless you're UCONN WBB). So, you do the best you can. And if you end up like the other 250+ teams that miss the Big Dance....and whose fault is that....oh! the coaches/players!...then you parlay whatever you get into a chance to keep playing and look at the NIT, or CIT, or CBI, or CSI, or whatever tourney you are FORTUNATE enough to land in, as an opportunity, and you make your best effort to win that.

It is particularly curious, however, that Tech fans would act like making the Big Dance is some birth-right or something. Except for about 10 years under Russo-Eagles our MBB program has sucked. Our MBB team should be happy to make a CYO tourney!

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Dwayne, that is not a fair question. There are so many brain-dead posters on this MB they wouldn't know to mention it.

Next to the 1985 success, advancing to the Final Four of the NIT, especially back then when it meant a lot more than it does today, is the biggest accomplishment in Tech MBB history. Beat Providence, on the road, to get to NY too.

In the last 20 years, or so, one of the best accomplishments was the Gerrod-Tiger team that beat Vandy and almost toppled Villanova, on the road, in the NIT.

But this thread and discussion is silly and misses the point. EVERY team starts out to try to win their conference. In fact, it should be the goal of every team to win every game! I cannot fathom not wanting, and trying, to win every game. We're gonna go 28-0 in the regular season. Then 3-0 in the conf tourney, now we're dancing. And then go 6-0 and be National Champs! That should be every team's goal.

But, reality gets in the way and that doesn't happen (unless you're UCONN WBB). So, you do the best you can. And if you end up like the other 250+ teams that miss the Big Dance....and whose fault is that....oh! the coaches/players!...then you parlay whatever you get into a chance to keep playing and look at the NIT, or CIT, or CBI, or CSI, or whatever tourney you are FORTUNATE enough to land in, as an opportunity, and you make your best effort to win that.

It is particularly curious, however, that Tech fans would act like making the Big Dance is some birth-right or something. Except for about 10 years under Russo-Eagles our MBB program has sucked. Our MBB team should be happy to make a CYO tourney!
    Wow! Really? Every team wants to win the national championship? Thats news to me.

Can you really not wrap your head around what I asked. I think you are missing the point and need to go back and actually read some of the thread. This thread isn't about should our GOAL be to make the NCAA or win the NIT. You always shoot for the NCAA and you always shoot to win the NCAA.

Your point about the 85 season is well made. Making the sweet 16 in the NCAA is a much bigger accomplishment than even winning the NIT. There is little reason to brag about the almost NIT season when we got to the sweet 16 the year before.

All of this just reminds me why football is so much more fun than basketball.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    Wow! Really? Every team wants to win the national championship? Thats news to me.

Can you really not wrap your head around what I asked. I think you are missing the point and need to go back and actually read some of the thread. This thread isn't about should our GOAL be to make the NCAA or win the NIT. You always shoot for the NCAA and you always shoot to win the NCAA.

Your point about the 85 season is well made. Making the sweet 16 in the NCAA is a much bigger accomplishment than even winning the NIT. There is little reason to brag about the almost NIT season when we got to the sweet 16 the year before.

All of this just reminds me why football is so much more fun than basketball.
    I don't think I have missed any point(s).

I guess we agree the goal is to win the WAC and go Dancing. Okay, granted. We agree on that. But, what happens those years when we don't get into the Dance? Some of you are saying to turn down any other post season bids, because, after all, that is not our original goal, and winning the NIT is not worth the effort.

I said, I disagree with that. Not that I don't get it, or understand it, just that I disagree.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to bring this thread back up but they just asked this question on sportscenter about UNC. They seemed to think it was better for UNC because they were a fairly young team. But said for Dayton it would have been better to make the NCAA because they were full of seniors and hadn't made the NCAA tournament.
    They said sportscenter.com had a poll up but I can't find it.

Edit:
    They just showed the results
    Losing first round of NCAA 39.6
    Winning the NIT 60.4
    Last edited by detltu; 04-01-2010 at 12:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread