+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starters/Rotation for next year?

Puppy saturdaynightlivas seems to have something between the earssaturdaynightlivas seems to have something between the earssaturdaynightlivas seems to have something between the earssaturdaynightlivas seems to have something between the earssaturdaynightlivas seems to have something between the earssaturdaynightlivas seems to have something between the ears

Starters/Rotation for next year?

I think that Darius Redding proved late in the season (Especially in the S. Miss game) that he deserves to be a starter come next season. The kid hustles and is pretty deadly inside. Needs to work on his perimeter shooting a little more. I think him, Olu, are DeAndre are definite starters. After them you have to factor in the JuCo tranfers Josh Brown and Scottie Farrington as well as Anson Bartlett and Brandon Gibson, who was hurt all of this season, but has incredible potential. What do you guys think?

Varsity Bulldog MoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the rough

Re: Starters/Rotation for next year?

I agree with all that you said. If Oliverson can give us a productive 15 minutes a night we would be pretty solid. You also have to include Tevin Hall who seems to be a tenacious defender. This ball club could suprise a lot of teams if they work hard on the defensive end of the floor.

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

D.Brown/Hunsaker/Hall
    J. Brown/Perez(?)/Bartlett
    Redding/B.Gibson
    Olu/Deuce
    Farrington/Oliverson

I'm sure we'll pick up a couple bigs and a 3 point shooter along with these.
    The Perez guy is from Centenary, and it's a rumor he's coming here. Not sure if it's true.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

i think people forget about brandon gibson. he showed me more as a freshman than redding did this year. i know he's coming off an injury and hasn't played for a year, but i would expect him to beat out redding for a starting spot.

in my opinion, it's going to be d. brown, j. brown and b. gibson starting in the backcourt with redding, ace and hunsaker providing backup minutes. and that's if there isn't another juco guard or the centenary transfer (perez) involved. one thing's for sure, there's going to be plenty of competition for minutes in the backcourt.

the frontcourt is another story. outside of olu, it's a scary thought. we don't know what farrington is going to bring to the table. i think oliverson should be able to give us 8-12 minutes per game of rebounding and defense, but we can't expect more than that. and that's just three bodies. hopefully, deuce johnson is ready to contribute immediately and/or rupp has a few secrets up his sleeve in the post. we're going to need them!
    Last edited by theprofessor; 03-29-2010 at 10:43 AM.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Varsity Bulldog MoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the rough

DawgDude, I talked to Perez personally and his only concern is we are losing 4 seniors. He had many questions to ask about the attendance and who all is returning. I gave him a solid overview of everyone coming back and told him we need a three point shooter of his caliber.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    i think people forget about brandon gibson. he showed me more as a freshman than redding did this year. i know he's coming off an injury and hasn't played for a year, but i would expect him to beat out redding for a starting spot.

in my opinion, it's going to be d. brown, j. brown and b. gibson starting in the backcourt with redding, ace and hunsaker providing backup minutes. and that's if there isn't another juco guard or the centenary transfer (perez) involved. one thing's for sure, there's going to be plenty of competition for minutes in the backcourt.

the frontcourt is another story. outside of olu, it's a scary thought. we don't know what farrington is going to bring to the table. i think oliverson should be able to give us 8-12 minutes per game of rebounding and defense, but we can't expect more than that. and that's just three bodies. hopefully, deuce johnson is ready to contribute immediately and/or rupp has a few secrets up his sleeve in the post. we're going to need them!
    I agree about Brandon Gibson. I love Redding's game but Brandon was pretty good too. The fact that he will be in the system for 3 years will probably give him the edge on Darrius.

Olu IMO is the only clear cut starter. DeAndre could be penciled in as a starter but when Holton gets here, he could knock him off if he is better at creating assists. At this point though I assume DeAndre holds on to his job.

If we can get 35 minutes from Olu a game, that means we only need to find 45 more minutes on the bench for the post. Oliverson should be good for 10-15 minutes. Scottie Farrington should be good for 20-30 minutes (hopefully). That means we will need Deuce for around 10-15 minutes a game too unless we bring in another big. Either way I think we will be fine. I'm really hoping though we bring in another big.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    DeAndre could be penciled in as a starter but when Holton gets here, he could knock him off if he is better at creating assists. At this point though I assume DeAndre holds on to his job.
    Guys - Holton has been out of organized ball for 2 or 3 years, ya'll are expecting him to come in full bore which will not happen in all likelyhood.

I figure that if he contributes, it will be in the later 1/3 of the year...

And if Holton is not here in October, the wisest thing might would be to give him a red-shirt so you get a full 4 years out of him
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Guys - Holton has been out of organized ball for 2 or 3 years, ya'll are expecting him to come in full bore which will not happen in all likelyhood.

And if Holton is not here in October, the wisest thing might would be to give him a red-shirt so you get a full 4 years out of him
    why wouldn't he be here in october? is he not supposed to start during the fall quarter? why would he just show up for the winter quarter?

also, i would expect that deandre would play around 30-35 minutes per game, so we would only need holton for 10 minutes per game max. i believe he should be able to fill that role for us.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    why wouldn't he be here in october? is he not supposed to start during the fall quarter? why would he just show up for the winter quarter?

also, i would expect that deandre would play around 30-35 minutes per game, so we would only need holton for 10 minutes per game max. i believe he should be able to fill that role for us.
    I was under the impression that he may not re-sign until the late signing period if he doesn't re-sign in April...

Once again - he is coming off of a two-year mission, don't expect him to be ready to contribute right away

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post

That is why I said odds are DeAndre will still start next year. I agree with the professor that DeAndre probably will start and get about 30-35 minutes a game. But I'm also not ruling out Holton taking his job because his dad is a coach. Just something about parent who are coaches that tend to make kids transition well into college ball (even if he is transitioning from soaking up sun in Fiji).

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Why do fans always expect so much from guys who have never even played one minute of college ball? I'll be absolutely shocked if Hunsaker is ready to be a STARTING point guard at the collegiate level coming from high school and a two year mission. The more likely scenario is that Hunsaker can play maybe 7-10 minutes/game as a freshman and then contribute significantly as a sophomore. Even Ashaolu redshirted a season before contributing.

You may or may not like DeAndre Brown's decisions all of the time, but he is clearly the best we've got at PG.

Puppy saturdaynightlivas seems to have something between the earssaturdaynightlivas seems to have something between the earssaturdaynightlivas seems to have something between the earssaturdaynightlivas seems to have something between the earssaturdaynightlivas seems to have something between the earssaturdaynightlivas seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post

You may or may not like DeAndre Brown's decisions all of the time, but he is clearly the best we've got at PG.
    I totally agree. He is not always the best outside shooter, but DeAndre is a great passer. I dont know if any of you noticed, but our guys always had a tough time handling his passes. He can put the ball on the money but if a guy (like Oliverson or even Magnum at times) can't cleanly catch a pass, it looks bad on DB's part. He is definitely the best we've got and was a HUGE step up from James Loe from the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    That is why I said odds are DeAndre will still start next year. I agree with the professor that DeAndre probably will start and get about 30-35 minutes a game. But I'm also not ruling out Holton taking his job because his dad is a coach. Just something about parent who are coaches that tend to make kids transition well into college ball (even if he is transitioning from soaking up sun in Fiji).
    I'll give you all that -

My doubt goes back to the fact he hasn't played organized ball for two years now, most coach's sons have high basketball IQ and the mental part of the game shuld be his easiest transition, but the lay-off is what bothers me

The guy that is going to be crucial to this season is not DeAndre Brown, it is clearly Olu. If he has a huge year he could definately be NBA ready and declare for the draft. Olu has the talent he just has to put it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by MoltonLava8 View Post
    The guy that is going to be crucial to this season is not DeAndre Brown, it is clearly Olu. If he has a huge year he could definately be NBA ready and declare for the draft. Olu has the talent he just has to put it all together.
    I like Olu, but for him to catch the eye's of the scouts at his height he would have to gave a MONSTER year and Tech would have to have a MONSTER year - I think he will be better, but in no way shape, form or fashion do I see the Dawgs an arm's lenght within reach of 24 wins next year...

+ Reply to Thread