+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Donovan McNabb Trade

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Re: Donovan McNabb Trade

Stray, I think it almost marginalizes both teams relative to the Giants and Cowboys. Yesterday I would have had something like this in the NFC South going into 2010:

TIER 1:
    New York
    Philly
    Dallas
    TIER 4: (HUGE gap here)
    Washington

Now, it definitely brings Philly down 2-3 wins in 2010 and Washington up maybe 2 wins. So, now:

TIER 1:
    New York
    Dallas
    TIER 2:
    Philly
    TIER 3:
    Washington

I expect New York to win the division...maybe 60/30/10 over Dallas and Philadelphia. If you had asked me a couple of a days ago, it was maybe New York and Philly splitting 70 percent and Dallas getting the remaining 30 percent. WSH is still a non-factor this season.

Good to hear from ya, by the way. Been cutting back on BBB with, you know, trying to write a thesis and graduate and what not.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CChandler View Post
    Stray, I think it almost marginalizes both teams relative to the Giants and Cowboys. Yesterday I would have had something like this in the NFC South going into 2010:

TIER 1:
    New York
    Philly
    Dallas
    TIER 4: (HUGE gap here)
    Washington

Now, it definitely brings Philly down 2-3 wins in 2010 and Washington up maybe 2 wins. So, now:

TIER 1:
    New York
    Dallas
    TIER 2:
    Philly
    TIER 3:
    Washington

I expect New York to win the division...maybe 60/30/10 over Dallas and Philadelphia. If you had asked me a couple of a days ago, it was maybe New York and Philly splitting 70 percent and Dallas getting the remaining 30 percent. WSH is still a non-factor this season.

Good to hear from ya, by the way. Been cutting back on BBB with, you know, trying to write a thesis and graduate and what not.
    Agreed, unless McCoy and Kolb are absoltuely ready for a full season, I see a slight fade in the second half once teams figure them out. Kolb alone will account for a game possibly two where Donovan would have been able to pull it out. I see them at 8 to 9 wins, outside looking in on the playoffs.

The Skins are simply far from good and have many holes to fill. McNabb will give them a couple more wins, 6 to 7 range, but I am not expecting miracles here.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Good to hear from you too, CC. Glad to see that you have your priorities in order.

I think I disagree with you guys about the talent level that the Skins have. I'm not predicting that they will win the Superbowl or anything, but they have some good players on their team. The defense has a lot of talent, with some really good D linemen. Their offense needed a lot of things, but QB was huge. If Portis and Betts can stay healthy, they are pretty good at RB. Santana Moss is a solid receiver, but they still need more help there. If they can do something about the OL, I think they can make a bigger splash than you are giving them credit for. This is just my opinion, and I'm no NFL GM.

One of Shanahan's strengths in Denver was improving the blocking of the O line. If I'm not mistaken, he "invented" the zone blocking scheme.

Champ KDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really nice

It shows how desperate they were to trade him with Donavan, Vick, and Kevin contracts are up next year.

Big Dog kdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of light

A move definitely was going to and needed to be made, but as a Cowboy fan I'm very pleased.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by kdk008 View Post
    A move definitely was going to and needed to be made, but as a Cowboy fan I'm very pleased.
    But you still have Romo as your QB and Jerry Jones as your HC so what difference will it make?

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    But you still have Romo as your QB and Jerry Jones as your HC so what difference will it make?
    At one point last year Romo had the highest career passer rating among active QB's. I don't know where he is now but he had a good year so I imagine he is at least top 5.

I think most Cowboy fans are very happy to have Romo as the QB. Do I think he is as good as Brees, Manning, and Brady? No. Is he very good? Yes. Most NFL experts would agree with what I just wrote and if you were impartial and not a Cowboy hater you would to. You are so blinded by hate for the Cowboys that your opinion on anything related to the Cowboys really can't be taken very seriously.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Now as far as this trade goes I think you have to look at it from each teams angle. I think it is good but not as great as people think for the Skins. McNabb IMO has always been a good but not great QB, who is getting old and has been injury prone. The Eagles have had a record over .500 when he is injured. He is an upgrade over Campbell but lets be serious its not like the Skins just signed Peyton Manning or something.

It is a good trade for the Eagles as well. Here is why: They weren't going to do jack squat this year anyways. Might as well get some picks and rebuild. I have been listening to ESPN Radio at lunch and in the morning the last few weeks and they keep reporting that the Eagles fans are remarkably calm about this one and are pretty much ready for the McNabb era to end. The reason they were comfortable trading him within the division is they are betting that by the time they are good again McNabb will pretty much be done. I mean its not like they were close to reaching a Super Bowl and McNabb is going to keep them from reaching it. As a matter of fact they were probably slowly moving further away from the Super Bowl rather than inching towards it.

This could go two ways for the Cowboys, when another division rival gets better it is always tough but on the flipside Jerry usually will try to make a big move to counter the division rivals so you never know. If this motivates Jerry to do something big it could end up helping the Cowboys. I am hoping he moves up in the draft to pick up Dez Bryant but we will see. I would also be very happy if wer could land a stud OL either through FA, Trade or the Draft.

I'm actually really interested to see if the Giants look like they did last year or the year before. There is a lot of talent on that team but they are VERY disfunctional.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    I think most Cowboy fans are very happy to have Romo as the QB.
    Tyler is loaded with cowboy fans and not a one that I know has any faith in Romo as their QB. A ton of them think he is the one holding them back. Well Romo and JJ that is.

Tyler is loaded with cowboy fans and not a one that I know has any faith in Romo as their QB. A ton of them think he is the one holding them back. Well Romo and JJ that is.
    ...........Then they would be wrong.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Now as far as this trade goes I think you have to look at it from each teams angle. I think it is good but not as great as people think for the Skins. McNabb IMO has always been a good but not great QB, who is getting old and has been injury prone. The Eagles have had a record over .500 when he is injured. He is an upgrade over Campbell but lets be serious its not like the Skins just signed Peyton Manning or something.

It is a good trade for the Eagles as well. Here is why: They weren't going to do jack squat this year anyways. Might as well get some picks and rebuild. I have been listening to ESPN Radio at lunch and in the morning the last few weeks and they keep reporting that the Eagles fans are remarkably calm about this one and are pretty much ready for the McNabb era to end. The reason they were comfortable trading him within the division is they are betting that by the time they are good again McNabb will pretty much be done. I mean its not like they were close to reaching a Super Bowl and McNabb is going to keep them from reaching it. As a matter of fact they were probably slowly moving further away from the Super Bowl rather than inching towards it.

This could go two ways for the Cowboys, when another division rival gets better it is always tough but on the flipside Jerry usually will try to make a big move to counter the division rivals so you never know. If this motivates Jerry to do something big it could end up helping the Cowboys. I am hoping he moves up in the draft to pick up Dez Bryant but we will see. I would also be very happy if wer could land a stud OL either through FA, Trade or the Draft.

I'm actually really interested to see if the Giants look like they did last year or the year before. There is a lot of talent on that team but they are VERY disfunctional.
    BD13,

I see where you are coming from, but I disagree. I had this argument today with a friend who lives in Philly. He said that Donovan is old and injury prone. I agree that he is past his prime, but old is too strong a word. He is one year younger than Peyton Manning and one year older than Tom Brady, but no one thinks of them as headed for retirement. McNabb probably has several good years left in him. McNabb has been injured more than Brady or Manning, but that's because McNabb runs the ball, which the other two never do. Aside from the sports hernia a couple of years ago, he has been in pretty good shape. Doctors have said that the rib injury from last year is healded and not likely to recur.

The biggest factor that we haven't discussed here is Mike Shanahan, and I think that's huge because he is a fantastic coach. Really good coaches make the biggest changes during their first year or two. He will be looking to prove himself after being fired in Denver, and a good QB is the weapon he needed most. Now McNabb has something to prove too. Also, when discussing age, think about this: When Shanahan arrived in Denver, John Elway was two years older than McNabb is right now. Elway had also been banged up, but the two of them went on to win two Superbowls together.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

I was really looking for McNabb to land in Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    According to the article I read- which of course may or may not be accurate- Andy Reid did not want the trade and wanted to keep McNabb even if it meant losing the current QB. It will be interesting to see who wins on this trade - I think it is the Redskins.
    FWIW, Coach Reid was on ESPN radio this morning discussing the trade. He said he has the final say on all trades and thought, of the offers presented, the McNabb trade was the best thing for the team. But, take that with a grain of salt. It's not like he can get on the radio and diss the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    BD13,
    When Shanahan arrived in Denver, John Elway was two years older than McNabb is right now. Elway had also been banged up, but the two of them went on to win two Superbowls together.
    That's true, but there was a lot of talent on that Denver team. I don't think Washington has a Terrell Davis. That's not to say that the year after won't be a huge year for Washington.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    BD13,

I see where you are coming from, but I disagree. I had this argument today with a friend who lives in Philly. He said that Donovan is old and injury prone. I agree that he is past his prime, but old is too strong a word. He is one year younger than Peyton Manning and one year older than Tom Brady, but no one thinks of them as headed for retirement. McNabb probably has several good years left in him. McNabb has been injured more than Brady or Manning, but that's because McNabb runs the ball, which the other two never do. Aside from the sports hernia a couple of years ago, he has been in pretty good shape. Doctors have said that the rib injury from last year is healded and not likely to recur.

The biggest factor that we haven't discussed here is Mike Shanahan, and I think that's huge because he is a fantastic coach. Really good coaches make the biggest changes during their first year or two. He will be looking to prove himself after being fired in Denver, and a good QB is the weapon he needed most. Now McNabb has something to prove too. Also, when discussing age, think about this: When Shanahan arrived in Denver, John Elway was two years older than McNabb is right now. Elway had also been banged up, but the two of them went on to win two Superbowls together.
    Exactly why I see McNabb being less effective going forward. His days of running are behind him and his elusiveness in the pocket is declining. They will get exponentially worse over the next few years. Brady/Manning might could play till they are 40 becasue they just sit in the pocket and chunk the rock. McNabb can be mildly effective at that, but not good enough to last more than a few more years, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    Exactly why I see McNabb being less effective going forward. His days of running are behind him and his elusiveness in the pocket is declining. They will get exponentially worse over the next few years. Brady/Manning might could play till they are 40 becasue they just sit in the pocket and chunk the rock. McNabb can be mildly effective at that, but not good enough to last more than a few more years, IMO.
    I disagree as i think he's learned his lesson finally per running. And the guy has a great arm to sit back and launch rockets. The Skins just need to get him a good LT. The cowgirls and the Saints barely made it out of DC last year. With McNabb those are losses.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

The cowgirls and the Saints barely made it out of DC last year. With McNabb those are losses.
    It doesn't work that way. You sound like one of those Chicago fans talking about how much better Jay Cutler is than Kyle Orton.

+ Reply to Thread