+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raising chickens

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Raising chickens

I have decided to start raising chickens. Does anyone have any good resources I could educate myself with? (Other than google results) If not, any tips from experienced farmers? Not exactly the usual BB&B topic... but I trust people here more than a random web page.

My primary interest is eggs. I'm thinking 6-8 hens and I live in a very rural area with varmits/dogs around.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Re: Raising chickens

Quote Originally Posted by duckbillplatty View Post
    I have decided to start raising chickens. Does anyone have any good resources I could educate myself with? (Other than google results) If not, any tips from experienced farmers? Not exactly the usual BB&B topic... but I trust people here more than a random web page.

My primary interest is eggs. I'm thinking 6-8 hens and I live in a very rural area with varmits/dogs around.

I thought chickens kinda raised themselves

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking 6-8 hens and I live in a very rural area with varmits/dogs around.

Get ready for some stock loss

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Get ready for some stock loss
    That's one of my largest concerns. I'm thinking about building a covered run with an attached coop inside of a yard with a 6 ft. privacy fence around it. That's expensive, but I'm not doing it to for monetary reasons and would be worth it if it keeps me from having to constantly replace hens.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Don't get any Warchickens. They are very dirty and full of diseases.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Don't get any Warchickens. They are very dirty and full of diseases.
    But they do lay alot of eggs.

(rimshot)

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

http://www.livingthecountrylife.com/...S|b|3242966818

I'm jealous. My wife and I will be "in the country" in the next 5-7 years and I am researching the chickens right now. I remember my grandparents chickens/eggs and such but I don't remember enough. Leave it to me to get preapproved for a my landloan and then this Haynesville thing blows-up. Every piece I liked had two or three rigs planned for it and the values went through the roof. THat and the state of the economy (investments) and I had to postpone my move for a few more years. Hope to have some chickens soon!

I've also subscribed to GRIT magazine and Mother Earth News and have found both to be great sources for farming and treating your land better.
    Last edited by marketdawg; 04-13-2010 at 06:21 PM.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I tried it when I first moved to Texas. Just seemed like the right thing to do out in the country. I had an old barn on the property, so I added a structure and covered it with chicken wire that extended out from the barn. I did try the "out in the open" thing once, but lost them all to Coyotes. The other system worked. I used those milk crates (now you can buy them at target as plastic storage boxes) for the hens to lay eggs. Worked great. I had several types. One was called an Aracana (I think that is right) and the eggs are literally blue and green tinted. Got some Silkies and Cochen's too. It all worked out well, until my house was no longer in the country. I ended up giving them away eventually. Still have the old barn structure way down on the property, though.

The biggest issue was snakes. They will steal the eggs. Always watch before putting your hand in a nest to get the eggs. Start small with one Rooster and about 3 or 4 hens.

Thanks guys. I'm not very worried about coyotes, but do y'all think I need the covered run for things like hawks?

Good luck on moving out to the country, marketdawg. I've loved every minute of it... other than the minutes spent commuting.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. I'm not very worried about coyotes, but do y'all think I need the covered run for things like hawks?

Good luck on moving out to the country, marketdawg. I've loved every minute of it... other than the minutes spent commuting.
    You have the Hawks and Coyotes covered. Just watch for the Chicken Snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    You have the Hawks and Coyotes covered. Just watch for the Chicken Snakes.
    Great! Thanks for the guidance.

Champ girldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud of

Duckbillplatty,
    Check with the Ag Center in your parish. They are a good source for info.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

I have some family just north of here that raise their own chickens. There is nothing worse than a bloody egg.

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

I've heard that you should avoid choking your chicken at least in public....
    Originally Posted by champion110
    I am less angry this morning and ready to get back up on the horse. That girl was a freak last night.

Originally Posted by champion110
    In fact, I finally had to tell her to stop over the last weekend, because I was worn out and needed a break.

+ Reply to Thread