+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Masters

LaTech Occupy Gameday Czar! techfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to behold

Re: Masters

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Hole out chip from the back of the green on #12 (I think it was number 12) the last time he won the Master in 2005...
    I think it was #16. A par 3. Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1I55z-x6zc

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Humored by the network's treatment of Tiger's temper-infested foul mouth.
    Uh, wasn't Augusta's son, Bobby Jones, quite similar?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Great column by Rick Reily on ESPN.com about Mickelson's win at Augusta.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5077009

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Uh, wasn't Augusta's son, Bobby Jones, quite similar?
    I know Jones had a temper when he was young, but golf historians have always given him credit for later taming his temper. This is the first I've heard of Jones being known for having a foul mouth. Your info from a movie or book?

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I know Jones had a temper when he was young, but golf historians have always given him credit for later taming his temper. This is the first I've heard of Jones being known for having a foul mouth. Your info from a movie or book?
    I want to say it was from a movie. Of course when you have Grantland Rice of that era as your traveling scribe, you know some indiscretions were glossed over in favor of good prose. Wouldn't you say a documented temper of that era contained a bad word or two?:icon_wink:

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I want to say it was from a movie. Of course when you have Grantland Rice of that era as your traveling scribe, you know some indiscretions were glossed over in favor of good prose. Wouldn't you say a documented temper of that era contained a bad word or two?:icon_wink:
    Maybe so, but others from that era are known for tempers and foul language and it is documented in forms other than a film biography. I'm not saying Jones didn't, but what I've read, outside of Grantland Rice, depicts him as the most honest and one of the true gentlemen to ever play the game.

I still have a hard time believing he was throwing GDs and Fbombs around back in those days.

Maybe so, but others from that era are known for tempers and foul language and it is documented in forms other than a film biography. I'm not saying Jones didn't, but what I've read, outside of Grantland Rice, depicts him as the most honest and one of the true gentlemen to ever play the game.

I still have a hard time believing he was throwing GDs and Fbombs around back in those days.
    I'd say temper tantrums of that day = GDs and Fbombs of 2010. How's that?

TWoods's image of himself prior to the marriage implosion was one to respect the game and its history. I wonder if today's media would treat Bobby Jones the same as they're treating Woods.

Both, basically , were heavily protected in the public eye up to a point.

I'd say temper tantrums of that day = GDs and Fbombs of 2010. How's that?

TWoods's image of himself prior to the marriage implosion was one to respect the game and its history. I wonder if today's media would treat Bobby Jones the same as they're treating Woods.

Both, basically , were heavily protected in the public eye up to a point.
    Get back with me when you find negative sources on Jones other than Hollywood.:icon_wink:

The difference I see between the two is that supposed coverups involving Jones would have been to protect the integrity of the game. Tiger is and has always been protected to make money for sponsors, the PGA, and media outlets.

Get back with me when you find negative sources on Jones other than Hollywood.:icon_wink:

The difference I see between the two is that supposed coverups involving Jones would have been to protect the integrity of the game. Tiger is and has always been protected to make money for sponsors, the PGA, and media outlets.
    I think you're correct. ... mostly.:icon_wink:

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

What does this even mean?

Are you saying that "back in the good old days" sports writers would purposely not report on bad behavior because of some kind of love and respect for the noble majesty of walking around hitting a little ball into a hole?

But these days sports writers purposely don't report on bad behavior because they are concerned about the bottom line of a shaving razor company?

Maybe I'm not following.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post

Are you saying that "back in the good old days" sports writers would purposely not report on bad behavior because of some kind of love and respect for the noble majesty of walking around hitting a little ball into a hole?

But these days sports writers purposely don't report on bad behavior because they are concerned about the bottom line of a shaving razor company?

Maybe I'm not following.
    I don't think he was talking of media today. He was, I guess, talking more of the handlers for Tiger and how "accessible" they have NOT made him in the past.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I don't think he was talking of media today. He was, I guess, talking more of the handlers for Tiger and how "accessible" they have NOT made him in the past.
    I still have the same question.

Are you saying that "back in the good old days" golfer's friends would purposely try to hush up bad behavior because of some kind of love and respect for the noble majesty of walking around hitting a little ball into a hole?

But these days golfer's friends purposely try to hush up bad behavior because they are concerned about the bottom line of a shaving razor company?
    Seems like the motivation would be the same.

Maybe I'm not following.
    First of all, I never acknowledged Jones exhibited bad behavior. Dawgpix and Hollywood did. Tiger is all about money for a lot of folks. Nothing nostalgic about him or his image. But, yes they did actually care about the "noble majesty" of the game back in the day. That respect actually carried over unlit Tiger's popularity IMO.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

And Bobby Jones was as big as Tiger, maybe bigger - Ruth was probably the only athlete who eclipsed Jones as that time....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    And Bobby Jones was as big as Tiger, maybe bigger - Ruth was probably the only athlete who eclipsed Jones as that time....
    And Babe Ruth had to be sent to Hot Springs for a couple of straight springs to get "dried out" from the off-season women and wine. Which, FWIW, is when spring training starting being held in the South, beginning with Hot Springs.

+ Reply to Thread