+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Downtown Revitalization

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: Downtown Revitalization

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    Is it a "Hilton" or a "Hilton Garden Inn" ?
    If you clicked on the article link provided by CutiePie72:
    "Hilton Garden Hotel and Conference Center — Terry said plans have been submitted and negotiations are winding down for this full-service hotel with a restaurant. Depending on the weather and approval of plans, Terry said this project could begin in a few months."

Big Dog bdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I know theres been a lot of focus on downtown and north Ruston, I hope they don't forget about areas like California Ave.
    Tried to renovate the old gas station on the corner of California and Adams into some really nice apartments.
    Made it through Planning and Zoning but didn't get the vote by the city council.

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

I thought of that, bdub, when I read the post about developing California. That corner is just an eyesore, and I can't believe they voted it down. Residents in the neighborhood were worried about it, I think was the reason I read in the paper at the time. But the entrances were to be on Caifornia with no activity on the back side, so I would have thought that would have been ok. Now it'll probably just sit there and rot even more.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Yes the liquor law is stupid. A college town with restaurants/bars closing at 12am? Makes you say "wtf"?

The 12am closing adds to Tech's suitcase college image.
    These are the folks running the show... Did they have any student input on Ruston's master plan?

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Where is SGA? They are the representative for the students.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    Is it a "Hilton" or a "Hilton Garden Inn" ?
    Semantics...the point is it will be a full service hotel with restaurant and other facilities.

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    These are the folks running the show... Did they have any student input on Ruston's master plan?

Do you have more photos from the meeting? That is only a small portion of the room.

This project has been open to the public and talked about in the local media, on campus, and Facebook.

Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if no students showed up. I know of several projects where the community or university tried to get input from students and little or no students showed up.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firedog View Post
    Do you have more photos from the meeting? That is only a small portion of the room.

This project has been open to the public and talked about in the local media, on campus, and Facebook.

Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if no students showed up. I know of several projects where the community or university tried to get input from students and little or no students showed up.
    No, this is the pic that the Ruston Daily Leader posted on Facebook.

That's sad if the students were invited but didn't show up.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Hard to change 100+ years of having your voice ignored and marginalized.

Big Dog Red's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the rough Red's Better's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdub View Post
    Tried to renovate the old gas station on the corner of California and Adams into some really nice apartments.
    Made it through Planning and Zoning but didn't get the vote by the city council.

People who dont get it, dont get that they dont get it. Just pissing in the wind.......

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar

If it passed planning and zoning, how can the council vote to control what a private property owner does or does not do with their property? Does the council have to sign off every time a building is constructed or renovated anywhere in the city? This does't make sense.

Champ baw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond reputebaw011 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by NathanDarby View Post
    If it passed planning and zoning, how can the council vote to control what a private property owner does or does not do with their property? Does the council have to sign off every time a building is constructed or renovated anywhere in the city? This does't make sense.
    Nathan, I have many times thought the exact thing!

I know this doesn't sound like it allows capitalism, free trade, and personal decision making to take place, BUT from my experience and properly administered this form of urban planning can make a large positive impact on a community. It involves a level of trust in our elected officials, architects, planners, engineers... and a level of commitment from residents and businesses to think with a larger perspective.

The key is allowing for an architectural heterogeneous variety of development in the city. If the council keeps an open mind as to what is truly beneficial for the community instead of a personal preference or agenda this will be a good thing.

Many developments left unregulated can become a detriment to the community (French Quarter type planned communities, big-box retail centers, sprawling exurbs and subrubs). Many developers are only out for their bottom line with little regard for what happens after they sell sites, buildings, units...etc.
    Last edited by baw011; 02-26-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Big Dog Sw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to all Sw's Avatar

I was in the first series of meetings and there were several students involved at that stage. I have no ideas if any of their ideas were used.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NathanDarby View Post
    Hmmm ... I wonder if there are any professionals on this board who work in the planning / urban design field.

+ Reply to Thread