+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colby's Chances

Varsity Bulldog MoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the rough

Colby's Chances

I know that the coaching staff has stated that Cameron is back in the race to be the starting quarterback. However, I do still believe that its a two horse race. Any thoughts?

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Re: Colby's Chances

Based on information posted elsewhere, I'd agree

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by MoltonLava8 View Post
    I know that the coaching staff has stated that Cameron is back in the race to be the starting quarterback. However, I do still believe that its a two horse race. Any thoughts?
    I thought he played well enough in the scrimmage to be in the race.

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.....what are the chances of the dreaded 2 QB system??? I think both play alot

Varsity Bulldog TechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really nice

Did it seem like Colby's throwing motion was a little odd...like he had to wind up his whole body to release?

Puppy techster47 has turned a few heads around heretechster47 has turned a few heads around heretechster47 has turned a few heads around heretechster47 has turned a few heads around here

Colby looked pretty good, but still needs more seasoning. too raw right now

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoltonLava8 View Post
    Who are you???

Champ mildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond repute mildawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDynamic View Post
    Did it seem like Colby's throwing motion was a little odd...like he had to wind up his whole body to release?
    There were several mentions of that at practice last week. My observation is that Cameron does not put enough "air" under the ball on his deeper touch passes. The QBs do a drill where they set up a trash can in the back corner of the endzone, and two QBs at a time attempt to throw a "fade" pass into the trash can. Ensminger far and away was the most competent at this drill. Cameron routinely threw a very flat ball that never had a chance of dropping into the trash can. To me, it appears as though Colby "pushes" the ball from his shoulder, much like a shot-put throw, which causes the flat trajectory. It is a strange throwing motion comparatively speaking. But if the coaches are alright with it, who am I to critique?

On a related note, I still believe Ross could throw a serviceable deep ball if not for his footwork. I noticed that he throws a decent pass 20 yards and in -- plenty of zip and fairly accurate. But when he throws a deep pass, the ball flutters and dies in mid-flight, usually ending up about 5-10 yards short of its intended target. To me, it points to one thing -- his footwork. Watching him now for several years, Ross has always tended to overstride on his throws, which prevents the proper rotation of his hips and transference of power from his legs through his throw. It is not as important on shorter throws, as overstiding doesn't really affect the trajectory of the ball. But on the deeper throws when Ross needs to get the ball in the air, his wide stance is preventing him from getting the ball up at the right angle and getting all his power into the throw -- thus the dying ducks.

Personally, I'd tie a length of rope around his legs and force him to shorten his stride. Then, I'd place every QB right under the crossbar and have them throw 9-routes over the bar, forcing them to get the point of the ball up and get some air under their deep passes.

Just an observation--however right or wrong--I wanted to get off my chest.

Champ SixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by mildawg View Post
    There were several mentions of that at practice last week. My observation is that Cameron does not put enough "air" under the ball on his deeper touch passes. The QBs do a drill where they set up a trash can in the back corner of the endzone, and two QBs at a time attempt to throw a "fade" pass into the trash can. Ensminger far and away was the most competent at this drill. Cameron routinely threw a very flat ball that never had a chance of dropping into the trash can. To me, it appears as though Colby "pushes" the ball from his shoulder, much like a shot-put throw, which causes the flat trajectory. It is a strange throwing motion comparatively speaking. But if the coaches are alright with it, who am I to critique?

On a related note, I still believe Ross could throw a serviceable deep ball if not for his footwork. I noticed that he throws a decent pass 20 yards and in -- plenty of zip and fairly accurate. But when he throws a deep pass, the ball flutters and dies in mid-flight, usually ending up about 5-10 yards short of its intended target. To me, it points to one thing -- his footwork. Watching him now for several years, Ross has always tended to overstride on his throws, which prevents the proper rotation of his hips and transference of power from his legs through his throw. It is not as important on shorter throws, as overstiding doesn't really affect the trajectory of the ball. But on the deeper throws when Ross needs to get the ball in the air, his wide stance is preventing him from getting the ball up at the right angle and getting all his power into the throw -- thus the dying ducks.

Personally, I'd tie a length of rope around his legs and force him to shorten his stride. Then, I'd place every QB right under the crossbar and have them throw 9-routes over the bar, forcing them to get the point of the ball up and get some air under their deep passes.

nice. I would imagine that our new QB coach is at least competent enough to work on fundamentals (once he's not occupied installing an offense). It's a shame that we haven't had any real QB coaching the past few years.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixWings View Post
    nice. I would imagine that our new QB coach is at least competent enough to work on fundamentals (once he's not occupied installing an offense). It's a shame that we haven't had any real QB coaching the past few years.

Rattay was our last great QB's coach
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

If our current crop of coaches can't coach up a QB then we'll never have a staff that can!

Puppy 87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears

Colby is only 19 and has 3 more yrs he will develop into a good qb and leader. By the time September gets here 1-2-3 could be reversed...it would no surprise me. Like Dykes said its going to be the one that works the hardest.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by 87dawg View Post
    Colby is only 19 and has 3 more yrs he will develop into a good qb and leader. By the time September gets here 1-2-3 could be reversed...it would no surprise me. Like Dykes said its going to be the one that works the hardest.
    The QB that is the overall best in August will start, working hardest doesn't, by definition, mean best.

Puppy 87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears87dawg seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    The QB that is the overall best in August will start, working hardest doesn't, by definition, mean best.
    Just quoted what Dykes said. AND if one of them doesnt work (misses practices, meetings, etc) and is the best, which may have been the case in previous yrs. ...he probably will not start.

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by mildawg View Post

Good observation. Overstriding makes it very hard to get on top of the ball which is why his ball floats instead of turning over. He has a low release as is, and overstriding makes it harder to overcome his release.
    To get the most out of the crossbar drill you speak of, they would be better served throwing shorter routes as opposed to 9s. This really ensures getting on top of the ball and keeping the nose of the ball down. It is a very difficult, and sometimes frustrating, drill.

+ Reply to Thread