+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allen HS Stadium

Hybrid View

Varsity Bulldog Haughtondawg seems to have something between the earsHaughtondawg seems to have something between the earsHaughtondawg seems to have something between the earsHaughtondawg seems to have something between the earsHaughtondawg seems to have something between the earsHaughtondawg seems to have something between the earsHaughtondawg seems to have something between the ears Haughtondawg's Avatar

Allen HS Stadium

Varsity Bulldog Cactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really nice Cactus Rob's Avatar

Re: Allen HS Stadium

Good gracious...
    And that is the same amount that Tulane looks like they are thinking of spending and this is for a HS!

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

cost of doing business here. Plus that campus is still expanding. No plans to add another highschool in the town. Saw the mock up a little while ago. Missed that article yesterday.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    cost of doing business here. Plus that campus is still expanding. No plans to add another highschool in the town. Saw the mock up a little while ago. Missed that article yesterday.
    I think we've touched on this topic before. How do the people there feel about not building another high school? I'd guess the best reason not to is the same reason WM will never build another much needed high school facility.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the high school that has a band with 600 members. Their existing stadium is small and very outdated. Allen waited until they could build the best in Texas. Back in the beginning of Texas Robin Hood funding of schools, Allen was the recipient of milions of dollars from "rich" school districts.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I think we've touched on this topic before. How do the people there feel about not building another high school? I'd guess the best reason not to is the same reason WM will never build another much needed high school facility.
    It's total B.S. I hate when schools win championships that way. Southlake should have 2 schools as well.

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    It's total B.S. I hate when schools win championships that way. Southlake should have 2 schools as well.

Sounds like someone got beat in High School.

I did some research and in a city with a population of 38,082 (2000 Census), Keller, TX only has one high school (Keller High School) located in Keller. Southlake, TX has a population of 21,519 (2000 census) and it only has one high school (Carrol Sr. High School, 11 and 12th graders only). West Monroe, LA has a population of 13,250 (again 2000 census) with only one high school (West Monroe High) in West Monroe.

So what is so B.S. about this. You appear to be jealous of success. I can tell you that West Monroe was the door mat of it's district for over 30 years. Once we finally got a coach that could get the players and city to buy into the program, we finally started to win. By having one high school, one can argue that we have the pick of the crop in regards to players. Maybe so, at times we do, but we are not the largest school in the state but in the past 15 years, we've had as much if not more success than any other school in our classification. I think it's B.S. that some people just like to piss on other people's parades particularly when the parade is a celebration of hard work.

Maybe one day, there will be another high school in West Monroe but I don't see the need for it. If we were to get a population boom and were to grow to over 38,000 I would guess that a second, if not third school would be built. Until then, we'll be proud of our Rebels!

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LABulldog View Post

I did some research and in a city with a population of 38,082 (2000 Census), Keller, TX only has one high school (Keller High School) located in Keller. Southlake, TX has a population of 21,519 (2000 census) and it only has one high school (Carrol Sr. High School, 11 and 12th graders only). West Monroe, LA has a population of 13,250 (again 2000 census) with only one high school (West Monroe High) in West Monroe.

So what is so B.S. about this. You appear to be jealous of success. I can tell you that West Monroe was the door mat of it's district for over 30 years. Once we finally got a coach that could get the players and city to buy into the program, we finally started to win. By having one high school, one can argue that we have the pick of the crop in regards to players. Maybe so, at times we do, but we are not the largest school in the state but in the past 15 years, we've had as much if not more success than any other school in our classification. I think it's B.S. that some people just like to piss on other people's parades particularly when the parade is a celebration of hard work.

Maybe one day, there will be another high school in West Monroe but I don't see the need for it. If we were to get a population boom and were to grow to over 38,000 I would guess that a second, if not third school would be built. Until then, we'll be proud of our Rebels!
    You have no idea what you are talking about. How would I be jealous of success when my school defines it? Your post was long on assumptions and short on facts. My school has won the Texas state 5A Div. 1 championship 3 of the last 5 years. We have been featured on the Today Show, Gatorade Commercials, Ranked #1 in the nation by ESPN and on and on. We have a better football program right now than Southlake so jealousy doesn't enter into the equation one bit. Southlake should have 2 schools. Community population is irrelevent, its school enrollment that counts and you should know better than that. The truth is Texas should get a 6A. BTW right now they divide the Texas 5A into Big Div1 and small Div2 school playoffs. Southlake is usually in the Div 2 small school bracket.

So you are saying Southlake having an enrollment of 2555 in 2 grades doesn't have an advantage over say Keller High School with 2900 in 4 grades?? Or lets say that Plano at 5215 and Plano East at 5852 is simply better than Wylie at 2745 because of tradition and hard work??? ...Please. You need to do better research. ....Or maybe stick to La. Football.

And BTW I never took a shot at West Monroe. I took one at Southlake.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LABulldog View Post

Please don't use the city of WM's population as part of your argument. That stat has nothing to do with the size of WMHS. The fact that they didn't build another high school when the last bond issue passed also had nothing to do with the winning ways of WM either, but those winning ways will certainly prohibit any serious talk of another high school to relieve some of the overpopulation at WMHS.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Mad,

Sorry for the late response, got busy. The reasons for Allen's decision has been pretty well explained.

Here in Frisco (I work for the district), we chose to go the opposite route. We are currently at about 130,000 people. In 2003, we opened our second HS Centennial (I have worked there since the start and at our CTE campus), In August our 6th HS will officially open (already holding some classes to ease overcrowding).

All of our HS's are built to hold 1850 students in grades 9-12, with the exception of our CTE campus which operates a little differently. We have plans for 2 more HS's before Frisco hits saturation. All the schools are designed to play 4A ball. We will be having some additions to several HS campuses over the next year because of large incoming classes.

The issue for the Frisco residents has been giving the most kids an opportunity to play. I really see both sides to the argument (Allen ISD and Frisco). I have coached HS and club in LA and TX. I personally prefer the Frisco ISD approach, but that is just my preference. Not dogging on Allen one bit.

I have been on the bad end of the numbers game here in TX. I was at a school in Richardson that was 5A by 4 kids one year when the cut of was 1989 or so kids. The next closest schools numbers wise in our athletic district were Lake Highlands and Berkner which had anywhere from 500-800 more than we did. The top of our district were the Plano schools with 1000-2000 more kids and only half the grades we had. Allen was in that district but were really just kicking off the last large growth spurt.

I just think it comes down to personal preference. If (from a teachers stand point) the ISD will continue to build classrooms at the current location and hire teachers that keep the ratio around 20/25:1, I don't see a problem with it. That is Allen's way of doing it. In Frisco I have about 23 kids a class in Con Law and about 20 in Criminal Procedure and those numbers are just about perfect.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    Mad,

Sorry for the late response, got busy. The reasons for Allen's decision has been pretty well explained.

Here in Frisco (I work for the district), we chose to go the opposite route. We are currently at about 130,000 people. In 2003, we opened our second HS Centennial (I have worked there since the start and at our CTE campus), In August our 6th HS will officially open (already holding some classes to ease overcrowding).

All of our HS's are built to hold 1850 students in grades 9-12, with the exception of our CTE campus which operates a little differently. We have plans for 2 more HS's before Frisco hits saturation. All the schools are designed to play 4A ball. We will be having some additions to several HS campuses over the next year because of large incoming classes.

The issue for the Frisco residents has been giving the most kids an opportunity to play. I really see both sides to the argument (Allen ISD and Frisco). I have coached HS and club in LA and TX. I personally prefer the Frisco ISD approach, but that is just my preference. Not dogging on Allen one bit.

I have been on the bad end of the numbers game here in TX. I was at a school in Richardson that was 5A by 4 kids one year when the cut of was 1989 or so kids. The next closest schools numbers wise in our athletic district were Lake Highlands and Berkner which had anywhere from 500-800 more than we did. The top of our district were the Plano schools with 1000-2000 more kids and only half the grades we had. Allen was in that district but were really just kicking off the last large growth spurt.

I just think it comes down to personal preference. If (from a teachers stand point) the ISD will continue to build classrooms at the current location and hire teachers that keep the ratio around 20/25:1, I don't see a problem with it. That is Allen's way of doing it. In Frisco I have about 23 kids a class in Con Law and about 20 in Criminal Procedure and those numbers are just about perfect.
    That is a big problem here in Louisiana. Especially 5A. There is a wider gap in numbers in 5A alone than from class C to 4A. If you are a small 5A school, you may have 1100 students. You may be in a district with someone that has 2200! You won't see that wide of a difference between a B/C school and a 4A school. Doesn't really add up.

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    That is a big problem here in Louisiana. Especially 5A. There is a wider gap in numbers in 5A alone than from class C to 4A. If you are a small 5A school, you may have 1100 students. You may be in a district with someone that has 2200! You won't see that wide of a difference between a B/C school and a 4A school. Doesn't really add up.
    The cut-off number had risen every year for the last 10-15 until this year. It actually dropped a little which really screwed a few schools over. They do split the 5A here into large and small in the play-offs but during the normal run of your district schedule it doesn't matter.

There isn't a perfect solution though. It's one of those things that I think they do a pretty good job in a tough situation.
    Last edited by DallasDog; 04-20-2010 at 02:25 PM.

Puppy TechsterDad seems to have something between the earsTechsterDad seems to have something between the earsTechsterDad seems to have something between the earsTechsterDad seems to have something between the earsTechsterDad seems to have something between the earsTechsterDad seems to have something between the earsTechsterDad seems to have something between the ears

I have 2 season tickets which are not even together at the current Allen H.S. stadium ("Eagle Stadium"). I am looking forward to the new stadium opening in 2012.

Today, someone practically has to pass away to get a season ticket. When they do go on sale each June, people start lining up 24 hours before the doors open hoping to get one.... and most leave disappointed.

Allen will be a one high school town for the foreseeable future.. maybe forever. The city's residence want it that way. While undeniably it has helped football being the 4th largest high school in the state (includes the Lowery Freshman Center), it hasn't had the same results with the other UIL varsity sports... only 2 other high school championships (5A) and those were in girls golf. On the club sports side, the hockey team has done well and the bowling teams have won 5 championships (2 boys and 3 girls).

On the band size thing, the kids in Allen want to be in the marching band (“Allen Eagle Escadrille”). From 6th grade on, they start preparing for that opportunity. The band is Allen's "12th man" for football. More than once over the years the LOUD sound they put out has influenced the game with offensive lineman jumping off sides.

The bond issue has others have mentioned was not just for the stadium which will be used for other things besides football games. It also includes a new auditorium for the fine arts department, a maintenace facility, etc. The new stadium has been needed for years as anyone who has attended a game there knows, but was always put on the back burner until the academic and infrastructure needs of the district were addressed first.

Go Eagles and Lady Eagles!

Champ TechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant future

I personally like for small cities (under 30k or so) to have one HS. That way everybody has one school to support. Bond issues pass easier, no this race or that race school. I lived in Odessa TX for a while and it was sad to see the difference in Odessa High and Odessa Permian. (of course, Odessa was about 100k people.)

Puppy TechsterDad seems to have something between the earsTechsterDad seems to have something between the earsTechsterDad seems to have something between the earsTechsterDad seems to have something between the earsTechsterDad seems to have something between the earsTechsterDad seems to have something between the earsTechsterDad seems to have something between the ears

Which is why we only have one high school. The city only wants to support one high school. It really gets behind them. The slogan for the football team 2 years ago was "One city, one school, one goal... A championship!" which they finally earned after many years of trying. Southlake Carroll has been our nemisis in the playoffs 3 times. We've never beaten them including losing to them this year in OT. It was a heart breaking loss. No jealously on my part though. Southlake earned those wins.

+ Reply to Thread