+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Allen HS Stadium

Varsity Bulldog Haughtondawg seems to have something between the earsHaughtondawg seems to have something between the earsHaughtondawg seems to have something between the earsHaughtondawg seems to have something between the earsHaughtondawg seems to have something between the earsHaughtondawg seems to have something between the earsHaughtondawg seems to have something between the ears Haughtondawg's Avatar

Allen HS Stadium

Varsity Bulldog Cactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really nice Cactus Rob's Avatar

Re: Allen HS Stadium

Good gracious...
    And that is the same amount that Tulane looks like they are thinking of spending and this is for a HS!

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

cost of doing business here. Plus that campus is still expanding. No plans to add another highschool in the town. Saw the mock up a little while ago. Missed that article yesterday.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    cost of doing business here. Plus that campus is still expanding. No plans to add another highschool in the town. Saw the mock up a little while ago. Missed that article yesterday.
    I think we've touched on this topic before. How do the people there feel about not building another high school? I'd guess the best reason not to is the same reason WM will never build another much needed high school facility.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the high school that has a band with 600 members. Their existing stadium is small and very outdated. Allen waited until they could build the best in Texas. Back in the beginning of Texas Robin Hood funding of schools, Allen was the recipient of milions of dollars from "rich" school districts.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I think we've touched on this topic before. How do the people there feel about not building another high school? I'd guess the best reason not to is the same reason WM will never build another much needed high school facility.
    It's total B.S. I hate when schools win championships that way. Southlake should have 2 schools as well.

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    It's total B.S. I hate when schools win championships that way. Southlake should have 2 schools as well.

Sounds like someone got beat in High School.

I did some research and in a city with a population of 38,082 (2000 Census), Keller, TX only has one high school (Keller High School) located in Keller. Southlake, TX has a population of 21,519 (2000 census) and it only has one high school (Carrol Sr. High School, 11 and 12th graders only). West Monroe, LA has a population of 13,250 (again 2000 census) with only one high school (West Monroe High) in West Monroe.

So what is so B.S. about this. You appear to be jealous of success. I can tell you that West Monroe was the door mat of it's district for over 30 years. Once we finally got a coach that could get the players and city to buy into the program, we finally started to win. By having one high school, one can argue that we have the pick of the crop in regards to players. Maybe so, at times we do, but we are not the largest school in the state but in the past 15 years, we've had as much if not more success than any other school in our classification. I think it's B.S. that some people just like to piss on other people's parades particularly when the parade is a celebration of hard work.

Maybe one day, there will be another high school in West Monroe but I don't see the need for it. If we were to get a population boom and were to grow to over 38,000 I would guess that a second, if not third school would be built. Until then, we'll be proud of our Rebels!

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LABulldog View Post
    Sounds like someone got beat in High School.

I did some research and in a city with a population of 38,082 (2000 Census), Keller, TX only has one high school (Keller High School) located in Keller. Southlake, TX has a population of 21,519 (2000 census) and it only has one high school (Carrol Sr. High School, 11 and 12th graders only). West Monroe, LA has a population of 13,250 (again 2000 census) with only one high school (West Monroe High) in West Monroe.

So what is so B.S. about this. You appear to be jealous of success. I can tell you that West Monroe was the door mat of it's district for over 30 years. Once we finally got a coach that could get the players and city to buy into the program, we finally started to win. By having one high school, one can argue that we have the pick of the crop in regards to players. Maybe so, at times we do, but we are not the largest school in the state but in the past 15 years, we've had as much if not more success than any other school in our classification. I think it's B.S. that some people just like to piss on other people's parades particularly when the parade is a celebration of hard work.

Maybe one day, there will be another high school in West Monroe but I don't see the need for it. If we were to get a population boom and were to grow to over 38,000 I would guess that a second, if not third school would be built. Until then, we'll be proud of our Rebels!
    You have no idea what you are talking about. How would I be jealous of success when my school defines it? Your post was long on assumptions and short on facts. My school has won the Texas state 5A Div. 1 championship 3 of the last 5 years. We have been featured on the Today Show, Gatorade Commercials, Ranked #1 in the nation by ESPN and on and on. We have a better football program right now than Southlake so jealousy doesn't enter into the equation one bit. Southlake should have 2 schools. Community population is irrelevent, its school enrollment that counts and you should know better than that. The truth is Texas should get a 6A. BTW right now they divide the Texas 5A into Big Div1 and small Div2 school playoffs. Southlake is usually in the Div 2 small school bracket.

So you are saying Southlake having an enrollment of 2555 in 2 grades doesn't have an advantage over say Keller High School with 2900 in 4 grades?? Or lets say that Plano at 5215 and Plano East at 5852 is simply better than Wylie at 2745 because of tradition and hard work??? ...Please. You need to do better research. ....Or maybe stick to La. Football.

And BTW I never took a shot at West Monroe. I took one at Southlake.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Was talking to a Plano East mom today at work. Her daugther is graduating this year and she is one of 2,900 seniors. My high school, Lake Highlands, has slightly over 500 seniors and is in the same athletic classification.

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    You have no idea what you are talking about. How would I be jealous of success when my school defines it? Your post was long on assumptions and short on facts. My school has won the Texas state 5A Div. 1 championship 3 of the last 5 years. We have been featured on the Today Show, Gatorade Commercials, Ranked #1 in the nation by ESPN and on and on. We have a better football program right now than Southlake so jealousy doesn't enter into the equation one bit. Southlake should have 2 schools. Community population is irrelevent, its school enrollment that counts and you should know better than that. The truth is Texas should get a 6A. BTW right now they divide the Texas 5A into Big Div1 and small Div2 school playoffs. Southlake is usually in the Div 2 small school bracket.

So you are saying Southlake having an enrollment of 2555 in 2 grades doesn't have an advantage over say Keller High School with 2900 in 4 grades?? Or lets say that Plano at 5215 and Plano East at 5852 is simply better than Wylie at 2745 because of tradition and hard work??? ...Please. You need to do better research. ....Or maybe stick to La. Football.

And BTW I never took a shot at West Monroe. I took one at Southlake.

Originally Posted by maddawg

Your responce:

Originally Posted by Bigdog13
    It's total B.S. I hate when schools win championships that way. Southlake should have 2 schools as well. (my boldness on your response)

When you emphatically ("It's total B.S.") respond to a question that directly talks about West Monroe, that is not taking a shot at West Monroe?

Help me understand something if I'm not getting your post. You say that you're not jealous of Southlake but you take a shot at them. You say that you have a better football program than Southlake but you take a shot at them. They are in a different division than you but you take a shot at them. Sounds like you have a problem with Southlake. If Southlake was a perennial loser and not winning Div2 championships would you be taking shots at them?

I understand what you say about the school enrollment but usually a larger population "tends" to have a larger number of school children enrolled in school so when you say that Southlake needs a second school when their population is a little more than half the population of Keller it would be natural to compare the size of the cities to see where your statement comes from.

Do I think it's fair that Southlake has an enrollment of 2555 for two grades when Keller has an enrollment of 2900 for four grades (your numbers)? On the outside looking in, no it doesn't sound fair but it is what it is. You are in different school districts. Does that have anything to do with how school enrollment works in Texas? Again, if you don't have a problem with Southlake, then why take a shot.

There are schools here in Louisiana that have enrollments of 500-600 students that played up in competition that used to repeatedly whip up on the largest schools in the state including West Monroe. Is that fair? It took enough principles getting their feelings hurt by their football teams being beat before the rules where changed and the smaller schools were forced to play in their enrollment classification. The schools in question were playing by the rules. Obviously, they had to be doing someing wrong (or illegal as some would like to say) to beat the bigger schools. No way a school with an enrollment of 600 can beat a school of 1800-2500 students, could they? They honest answer was that they were just better teams and the big schools couldn't take it hence the rule changes.

The point I was trying to make, was that some schools just become better schools athletically with the right combination of coaches and community support. That's the reason for my paragraph discussing West Monroe. We were horrible, but now they're one of the premier programs in the state. We've heard all the complaints that could be said about the athletic program but so far, in our 15 plus years of being an upper teir program, we've never broken any rules that I'm aware of to get to this level.

Schools have to live with what their districts allow. If the district that Southlake is in won't (or can't) build another school, that's not Southlake's fault so why get on their case. The same with West Monroe; until the Ouachita Parish School board decides to build another school, then West Monroe has to deal with the amount of students that attend. I'm sure the coaches love having to pick and choose from a larger group of student athletes but that still doesn't guarantee that the team(s) will be winners. Hard work by the coaches and student athletes is what produces consistent winners, not student body size.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Help me understand something if I'm not getting your post. You say that you're not jealous of Southlake but you take a shot at them. You say that you have a better football program than Southlake but you take a shot at them. They are in a different division than you but you take a shot at them. Sounds like you have a problem with Southlake.

Do people only criticize things that they are jealous of? I don't have a dog in this fight (I went to school in Arkansas and my daughter won't be in high school for a long time since she is only 6 months old), but I don't think it's necessarily the best idea to have such huge high schools. Does that mean I have to be jealous of something?

I'm sure the coaches love having to pick and choose from a larger group of student athletes but that still doesn't guarantee that the team(s) will be winners. Hard work by the coaches and student athletes is what produces consistent winners, not student body size.

Then why do they have classifications to begin with? Of course in a given year (or even for a given stretch of years) a great coach or community support can help a smaller school "play up." But there is a reason that high school sports associations try to group schools by size.

Obviously this doesn't work as well at the top and the bottom, although I suppose you could argue that after a certain point (and before another one) it doesn't matter as much.

In Texas, private schools don't play public school (except Dallas Jesuit), so clasifications are used to balance competition. In football numbers count in the long run. But I can tell you (and Bradshaw mentioned it in his SC comments) that people move to live in certain high school attendence zones for football reasons. It happens for folks living in million dollar homes and who live in apartments.

During the 1990's Lake Highlands High was a dominant 5A school with only 500 students per class and consistently beat the mega schools. It was because of an outstanding coach. Both apartment kids relocating inside of Dallas and folks moving to the metroplex moved to Lake Highlands. Once the coach left, within two years we couldn't complete agains the big boys.

Puppy TechsterDad seems to have something between the earsTechsterDad seems to have something between the earsTechsterDad seems to have something between the earsTechsterDad seems to have something between the earsTechsterDad seems to have something between the earsTechsterDad seems to have something between the earsTechsterDad seems to have something between the ears

I have 2 season tickets which are not even together at the current Allen H.S. stadium ("Eagle Stadium"). I am looking forward to the new stadium opening in 2012.

Today, someone practically has to pass away to get a season ticket. When they do go on sale each June, people start lining up 24 hours before the doors open hoping to get one.... and most leave disappointed.

Allen will be a one high school town for the foreseeable future.. maybe forever. The city's residence want it that way. While undeniably it has helped football being the 4th largest high school in the state (includes the Lowery Freshman Center), it hasn't had the same results with the other UIL varsity sports... only 2 other high school championships (5A) and those were in girls golf. On the club sports side, the hockey team has done well and the bowling teams have won 5 championships (2 boys and 3 girls).

On the band size thing, the kids in Allen want to be in the marching band (“Allen Eagle Escadrille”). From 6th grade on, they start preparing for that opportunity. The band is Allen's "12th man" for football. More than once over the years the LOUD sound they put out has influenced the game with offensive lineman jumping off sides.

The bond issue has others have mentioned was not just for the stadium which will be used for other things besides football games. It also includes a new auditorium for the fine arts department, a maintenace facility, etc. The new stadium has been needed for years as anyone who has attended a game there knows, but was always put on the back burner until the academic and infrastructure needs of the district were addressed first.

Go Eagles and Lady Eagles!

Originally Posted by LABulldog

Help me understand something if I'm not getting your post. You say that you're not jealous of Southlake but you take a shot at them. You say that you have a better football program than Southlake but you take a shot at them. They are in a different division than you but you take a shot at them. Sounds like you have a problem with Southlake.

Do people only criticize things that they are jealous of? I don't have a dog in this fight (I went to school in Arkansas and my daughter won't be in high school for a long time since she is only 6 months old), but I don't think it's necessarily the best idea to have such huge high schools. Does that mean I have to be jealous of something?

I'm sure the coaches love having to pick and choose from a larger group of student athletes but that still doesn't guarantee that the team(s) will be winners. Hard work by the coaches and student athletes is what produces consistent winners, not student body size.

Then why do they have classifications to begin with? Of course in a given year (or even for a given stretch of years) a great coach or community support can help a smaller school "play up." But there is a reason that high school sports associations try to group schools by size.

Obviously this doesn't work as well at the top and the bottom, although I suppose you could argue that after a certain point (and before another one) it doesn't matter as much.

(Red text by Inudesu)

Good responses Inudesu. No you don't have to be jealous to criticize something. But when you specifically pick out a single entity and say something is wrong with it but then later use additional examples to back up your criticism, then, to me, you have a problem with that single entity or you would have made a broader argument originally. To be bothered by a single school in an adjoining town because you think it's too big tells me that you have an issue with that school, either athletically, scholastically or some other issue. If you have a problem with Mega-Schools, then say it, don't pick out one example particularly when every appearance is your example is very likely an opponent.

I agree that these Mega-schools are not good for the students but it's not the students fault that the schools are these sizes. If anyone is to blame, it would seem to me that it's the school districts fault for being short sighted. The students and student athletes have to deal with the cards they are dealt. If parents move into a school zone with one high school, then that where their kids usually goes. Typically there aren't any alternatives, except for moving to another district, going to a private school (if available) or home schooling.

If the school has a history of being athletically good (any sport but in this case football) then the student athlete will most likely be enthusiastic about attending that school. Again, it's not the new student's fault the school was good (or bad) before the student attended that particular school. If the school outgrows itself, then there are only a couple of options available. Either build additional schools (is there space available, is there money available, etc.) or expand the original school to handle the larger student population. Again, it's not the students fault in any of this. It's just the way things tend to happen.

Your dead on on your comments concerning classifications. They are there to have some way of providing "equal" competition between the schools. Yes a school of 5000 should be better (statistically) than a school of 3000 because of the larger selection of student athletes to pick from, but as you mentioned and from what I've seen personally, this isn't always the case. Smaller schools can and have regulary beaten the bigger schools. Do the bigger schools like it? No way! Some will then start pointing fingers in the direction of the smaller school and try to accuse them of some wrong doing because they think that the only way the "smaller" school won was due to some advantage (fair or unfair) that the smaller school had that the larger school didn't have (or didn't know about).

If you don't like the rules, then work to get the rules changed. If a school has cheated or whatever to win games, then call them on it. Don't blame a school for winning that is playing within the rules that they are given just because they are bigger (or smaller). Either get better coaches, better facilities or pick you athletes better.

Originally Posted by maddawg

Your responce:

Originally Posted by Bigdog13
    It's total B.S. I hate when schools win championships that way. Southlake should have 2 schools as well. (my boldness on your response)

When you emphatically ("It's total B.S.") respond to a question that directly talks about West Monroe, that is not taking a shot at West Monroe?

Actually the question inthe post I was responding to was about Allen. I answered about Allen and then I also brought up an example in Southlake.

Help me understand something if I'm not getting your post. You say that you're not jealous of Southlake but you take a shot at them. You say that you have a better football program than Southlake but you take a shot at them. They are in a different division than you but you take a shot at them. Sounds like you have a problem with Southlake. If Southlake was a perennial loser and not winning Div2 championships would you be taking shots at them?

I think Inudesu answered that question perfectly. If I take a shot at the SE La University it doesn't mean that I as a Tech fan are jealous of them. The school I went to and support is in the same division 5A as Southlake. More often than not (but not always) they are put in the 5A div2 playoffs.

I understand what you say about the school enrollment but usually a larger population "tends" to have a larger number of school children enrolled in school so when you say that Southlake needs a second school when their population is a little more than half the population of Keller it would be natural to compare the size of the cities to see where your statement comes from.

It is natural so I understand where you are coming from but it is incorrect.

Do I think it's fair that Southlake has an enrollment of 2555 for two grades when Keller has an enrollment of 2900 for four grades (your numbers)? UIL the State Interscholastic Sports governing bodies numbers not mine. On the outside looking in, no it doesn't sound fair but it is what it is. You are in different school districts. Does that have anything to do with how school enrollment works in Texas? Again, if you don't have a problem with Southlake, then why take a shot.

Because one of the reasons they are so succesful is their enrollment.

There are schools here in Louisiana that have enrollments of 500-600 students that played up in competition that used to repeatedly whip up on the largest schools in the state including West Monroe. Is that fair? If this is a private vs. public thing I have no dog in that fight. I like how in Texas the privates for the most part don't compete with the publics. It works here for us. It took enough principles getting their feelings hurt by their football teams being beat before the rules where changed and the smaller schools were forced to play in their enrollment classification. The schools in question were playing by the rules. Obviously, they had to be doing someing wrong (or illegal as some would like to say) to beat the bigger schools. No way a school with an enrollment of 600 can beat a school of 1800-2500 students, could they? They honest answer was that they were just better teams and the big schools couldn't take it hence the rule changes. I don't know I saw what happened when Evangel played Southlake and it honestly looked like Southllake was playing a Jr. High team. Maybe Evangel was whipping up on weak competition. :icon_wink: ......Just kidding I respect La. HS football.

The point I was trying to make, was that some schools just become better schools athletically with the right combination of coaches and community support. That's the reason for my paragraph discussing West Monroe. We were horrible, but now they're one of the premier programs in the state. We've heard all the complaints that could be said about the athletic program but so far, in our 15 plus years of being an upper teir program, we've never broken any rules that I'm aware of to get to this level.

Schools have to live with what their districts allow. If the district that Southlake is in won't (or can't) build another school,Won't would be the case. Southlake is the richest city per capita in the state and possibly the SW. that's not Southlake's fault so why get on their case. Because it is their fault. The same with West Monroe; until the Ouachita Parish School board decides to build another school, then West Monroe has to deal with the amount of students that attend. I'm sure the coaches love having to pick and choose from a larger group of student athletes but that still doesn't guarantee that the team(s) will be winners. Hard work by the coaches and student athletes is what produces consistent winners, not student body size. ONLY HALF RIGHT IT IS HARD WORK AND STUDENT BODY SIZE!!!

+ Reply to Thread