+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snake repellant

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Snake repellant

Okay, last weekend I found a Water Moccasin (baby one) living in fig vine that is on the brick on the back of my house. Today, killed a 7' long chicken snake. They are clearing a lot of land around my 3 acres for new subdivisions and I am getting a lot of wildlife on my property - snakes, skunks, possums, even hearing coyotes at night now. So, what is a good snake reppelant that won't hurt my dog? My backyard is enclosed from the rest of my land, so I could put something out around the perimeter of the fence that my dog can't get to.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Re: Snake repellant

The old timers used to say that a snake won't crawl over grass rope. Maybe you could line your fence with it.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

What about a mongoose? I seem to remember a story when I was a kid about a mongoose killing a couple of cobras.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I have grass rope and a Mongoose. LOL Of course, my dog might not like the Mongoose. LOL

I have read that Geese and Guinea's will kill them too. Of course, those wouldn't be too welcome in my neighborhood. I just worry that if I had a Water Moccasin on by my back door on my wall, there are probably more.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Okay, I have grass rope and a Mongoose. LOL Of course, my dog might not like the Mongoose. LOL

I have read that Geese and Guinea's will kill them too. Of course, those wouldn't be too welcome in my neighborhood. I just worry that if I had a Water Moccasin on by my back door on my wall, there are probably more.
    Pretty valid concern especially considering the snake was a baby.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

We had a cat once that caught snakes and would come lay them in front of our door. When I lived in Pine Bluff I got him as a kitten thinking he would run the gophers out of the yard. The gophers would get under the house at night and it would sound like somebody was trying to break in the house when they would start scratching on the foundation. We didn't have much luck with poison peanuts and their favorite food was the roots of the tomato plants we had planted in the flower bed. By the time that cat was 4 months old I would see him sitting by a gopher mound. He was very patient because I would see him sit there for hours sometimes just waiting for that gopher to comeup for enough for him to grab him. Every one he caught he would come lay him in front of the door. After about 3-4 weeks my gophers were gone. Over the years he brought in several snakes.
    When we lived in Pineville there was a small creek that ran behind my house that had water moccasins and there was a big one that ran out of my yard one day. While walking in the woods behind my house one day I ran across a king snake that was about 3 feet long. I just reached down and picked him up and brought him home with me and put him in a very thick patch of fern in the yard. Never saw another snake in my yard except for that king snake and he stayed there for quite some time.

The Brambles would kill them, I am sure........ After all, they have a wild bloodline in them. However, with show cats, I don't let them outside. They do have a screened in cattery room that they can go in and out of and I have never seen a snake get close to there. :icon_wink:

The Peterbalds would run hide under the covers.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    The Brambles would kill them, I am sure........ After all, they have a wild bloodline in them. However, with show cats, I don't let them outside. They do have a screened in cattery room that they can go in and out of and I have never seen a snake get close to there. :icon_wink:

The Peterbalds would run hide under the covers.
    We've had a Russian Blue and an Abyssinian that we never let outside and we have a big solid black cat that showed up in our garage 8 years ago when he was about 3 months old. He weighs about 18 pounds and he's not really overweight. He loves to go outside, so I set up a portable dogpen on the patio sometimes for him, but, he doesn't get to roam freely.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Snake Away and mothballs work on snakes except for Water Moccasins (something about the olfactory senses being different in water snakes). Cats will kill the baby snakes (and everything else). King Snakes work GREAT if you can keep them in your yard. About the best thing is to keep the grass mowed as low as possible and minimize low growing bushes and ground cover. If they don't have a good place to hide they won't stay in the yard for long.

Varsity Bulldog latech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nicelatech80 is just really nice latech80's Avatar

It's funny someone should mention SnakeAway, because when I told my veternarian about it, he laughed, and said you could accomplish the same thing with mothballs. When we first moved into our house, we would find them in our yard all the time. Now, it's been about 10 years, and we haven't had a single one.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Works every time!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Snake Away and mothballs work on snakes except for Water Moccasins (something about the olfactory senses being different in water snakes). Cats will kill the baby snakes (and everything else). King Snakes work GREAT if you can keep them in your yard. About the best thing is to keep the grass mowed as low as possible and minimize low growing bushes and ground cover. If they don't have a good place to hide they won't stay in the yard for long.
    My yard was designed to be a tropical look - lots of plants, banana trees, fig vine, etc.... all around the pool. I fear that it is a snake paradise too. :icon_wink: I will just have to stay vigilant. I am going to try some of the suggestions above, though. Got rid of the skunk family with ammonia soaked rags thrown under the decks and 15 flea bombs all going off at once. Read it on the Internet and didn't think it would work, but they have moved on. The country was fine until it became the suburbs. All those animals had to find a new home and my land has an old barn in a wooded and pasture land and lots of landscaping in the enclosed area by the house. I think it just comes with the territory.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

i heard that snakes won't go anywhere near oleander. every part of an oleander bush is poison for just about every type of animal, so this seems to make sense, but i don't have any proof other than the word of a friend of mine. so you could line the outside of your fence with oleander bushes and it would look nice, tie in with your tropical theme, and maybe keep the snakes out.

eta: you may be too far north for oleander to survive.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

I hate water moccasins Champ. I wish you luck with them. They are aggressive and mean.

+ Reply to Thread