+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Snake repellant

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Snake repellant

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    i heard that snakes won't go anywhere near oleander. every part of an oleander bush is poison for just about every type of animal, so this seems to make sense, but i don't have any proof other than the word of a friend of mine. so you could line the outside of your fence with oleander bushes and it would look nice, tie in with your tropical theme, and maybe keep the snakes out.

eta: you may be too far north for oleander to survive.
    I have Oleander bushes (3 big ones) at the back of the pool, so they will live here nicely. I may plant some on the outside of the fence. Good idea. I have heard this, as well.

LaTech Occupy Gameday Czar! techfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to behold

I have always heard lime juice will keep snakes away. I googled it and i found that it maybe true. This article mentions a couple of different things.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5729376_home...repellent.html

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    I hate water moccasins Champ. I wish you luck with them. They are aggressive and mean.
    I know..... I got trapped on a pier at Lake Claiborne when I was about 9 years old by a HUGE one. It stretched across while I was sitting on the pier. I couldn't get back to land and it was staring right at me. I yelled as loud as I could and, luckily, there was some fishers near by and they raced over and picked me up. It was still coming right at me when I got in the boat - luckily it wasn't moving fast. They shot it and got me back to my family's lake house and I don't think I went outside the rest of the weekend. :icon_wink:

Varsity Bulldog Iceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the rough

Big Grin Re: Snake repellant

Cats, Cats, Cats they work for me we have two wild ones outside and I live on the edge of a pond. No snakes.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

They really don't like this.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Okay, last weekend I found a Water Moccasin (baby one) living in fig vine that is on the brick on the back of my house. Today, killed a 7' long chicken snake. They are clearing a lot of land around my 3 acres for new subdivisions and I am getting a lot of wildlife on my property - snakes, skunks, possums, even hearing coyotes at night now. So, what is a good snake reppelant that won't hurt my dog? My backyard is enclosed from the rest of my land, so I could put something out around the perimeter of the fence that my dog can't get to.
    I hate snakes. I try to leave the non poisonous ones alone, but I hate a snake. Last spring when the water was up so high around here I saw no less than 7 snakes in one day up at the lake. I was FREAKED out. I tried to let them be but the dogs were going nuts and finally I had enough and killed one of them. It was writhing around in some muddy water down by my pool and it made me sick to look at so I killed it. My nerves were wrecked - trying to work around the pool and having to watch every step I took so I took it out on the snake. I felt bad later though, because I felt like it was just a water snake and not poisonous.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

They are repelled by these as well.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

I cought a 3 foot water moccasin in our back yard a while back. It was pretty crazy. I was dogsitting for a friend and when I came home the dog was going nuts. Apparently the dog bit the snake but not the other way around although I'm sure it wasn't for lack of trying. I managed to wrangle the snake into a trash can with a couple of golf clubs. Why I didn't club the thing to death is beyond me. So I had a pissed off cottonmouth in a trashcan to show people for a day or so. Then I had a friend bring a shovel over (I hadn't been in the house long and didn't even have a shovel). We let the snake out of the trash can and I thoght I could kill it with one swift shot behind the head from the shovel. Well the ground was soft and I ended up just cutting it pretty bad and mashing it into the ground. When I pulled the shovel back it took off after us and it took about 4 or 5 wacks with the shovel to kill it. I must have looked like an idiot between the golf clubs and the shovel. I had a picture of its dead body by a yard stick on my phone for a while.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

If you have coyotes howling then the cats won't last too long if they wander enough to find the snakes. I use a shovel and mow the grass low. You might consider what the food source of the snake is and make sure to eliminate it. I usually kill two rattle snakes every year and the shovel works well.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by latech80 View Post
    It's funny someone should mention SnakeAway, because when I told my veternarian about it, he laughed, and said you could accomplish the same thing with mothballs. When we first moved into our house, we would find them in our yard all the time. Now, it's been about 10 years, and we haven't had a single one.
    SnakeAway is pretty much just a combination of sulfur, hydrated lime, and moth balls. All of which work together to get snakes away.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    I hate water moccasins Champ. I wish you luck with them. They are aggressive and mean.
    ...and cottonmouths smell like fetted shit!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    ...and cottonmouths smell like fetted shit!

Yep, and the smell of their venom doesn't thrill me either.

by detltu
    I cought a 3 foot water moccasin in our back yard a while back. It was pretty crazy. I was dogsitting for a friend and when I came home the dog was going nuts. Apparently the dog bit the snake but not the other way around although I'm sure it wasn't for lack of trying. I managed to wrangle the snake into a trash can with a couple of golf clubs.

You must have some docile moccasins around there. I was driving in one day and noticed a kid was wading/fishing in the shallows and then he started thrashing the water with his fishing rod...luckily he saw him in time and hooked him with the lure and held him away. I met him about half-way down the hill with a shovel. When it was over, he was grinning and shaking at the same time. All the ones I've run into are pretty aggressive if they think they're holding all the cards.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

I find that peeing in my pants and running works well the put distance between me and any snake. However I prerer the shotgun method when ever possible.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hoppinmad View Post
    Yep, and the smell of their venom doesn't thrill me either.

You must have some docile moccasins around there. I was driving in one day and noticed a kid was wading/fishing in the shallows and then he started thrashing the water with his fishing rod...luckily he saw him in time and hooked him with the lure and held him away. I met him about half-way down the hill with a shovel. When it was over, he was grinning and shaking at the same time. All the ones I've run into are pretty aggressive if they think they're holding all the cards.
    it's really amazing how aggressive copperheads and cottonmouths can be. copperheads aren't as scary because they aren't nearly as big, but those little things are every bit as ornery.

i killed a nearly-five-foot cottonmouth with a rotten pecan branch once. it came straight up out of the creek behind Tech dairy like it wanted to eat me, and i'm not sure it wouldn't have tried.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    it's really amazing how aggressive copperheads and cottonmouths can be. copperheads aren't as scary because they aren't nearly as big, but those little things are every bit as ornery.

i killed a nearly-five-foot cottonmouth with a rotten pecan branch once. it came straight up out of the creek behind Tech dairy like it wanted to eat me, and i'm not sure it wouldn't have tried.

....and copperheads are tougher to spot. If you're ever thru Winnfield, Martin Timber Co. is just south of town on the E. side of 167. Walk in the wood framed office by the yard.... there's an old photo on the wall of a lumberjack with a dead (probably 8 ft.) rattlesnake draped over his shoulder. Logging, etc. in the south comes with some risks.

+ Reply to Thread