+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Nick Saban is the best...

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Why Nick Saban is the best...

Watched some of the replay of Bama-Texas BCS title game yesterday. That pick-six by Bama in the closing seconds of the 1st half, to make it 24-6....

Instead of joining in the wild celebration of Bama nation, all the other coaches and the players, for an obviously HUGE play, Saban was racing down the sideline to fuss at his player who foolishly threw the ball into the stands and drew a 15 yd unsportsmanlike penalty. Not moments afterward, mind you, but as the action was unfolding. It is that kind of attention to detail and the steadfast focus on always making plays and doing what is best for the team, that separates Saban from most other coaches.

It's also what makes great coaches.....great coaches. It's not easy to be a "great" coach. It's not about making friends and trying to keep everyone happy.

Just a little observation.

Big Dog BOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the rough

Re: Why Nick Saban is the best...

Yes....I agree....Saban IS the Bill Belichick of college football and double digit winning seasons and multiple NC are almost certain for the tide as long a Saban wants to coach..... I just wish the "dynasty" Saban brings was for a different school...I spent 10-years in Tuscaloosa and I have to say there isn't a more arrogant bunch of fans anywhere... 9 or 10 win seasons are NOT ACCEPTED.....it must be NC or nothing.... the amount of money flowing in that athletic budget is unbelievable...

Varsity Bulldog WWILL is on top of his/her gameWWILL is on top of his/her gameWWILL is on top of his/her gameWWILL is on top of his/her gameWWILL is on top of his/her gameWWILL is on top of his/her gameWWILL is on top of his/her gameWWILL is on top of his/her gameWWILL is on top of his/her gameWWILL is on top of his/her gameWWILL is on top of his/her game WWILL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BOSTON View Post
    Yes....I agree....Saban IS the Bill Belichick of college football and double digit winning seasons and multiple NC are almost certain for the tide as long a Saban wants to coach..... I just wish the "dynasty" Saban brings was for a different school...I spent 10-years in Tuscaloosa and I have to say there isn't a more arrogant bunch of fans anywhere... 9 or 10 win seasons are NOT ACCEPTED.....it must be NC or nothing.... the amount of money flowing in that athletic budget is unbelievable...
    I'm glad he is doing this at Bama and not lsuseless.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

And, if you will, this personal note on why being a headcoach is not easy.

When coaching high school soccer years back, my little team had finally broke thru and beat an upper half team in our district. We were ahead 2-0 (which was the final score) and in the waning minutes of this Thursday night match, while my kids were giddy with excitement, while our loyal following of about 30 fans (mostly family of the players) were understandably going nutso celebrating a "break-through" win for our program....my thoughts went to our Monday night game against the 2nd place team in the district when....a possible wildcard playoff berth was on the line for us. It was a home game for us....that team had drilled us 10-1 earlier in the season at their place.

I did not allow myself to lose sight of the most important game for us....the next one, and such a HUGE game it was too. All I could think, even as the fans counted down the seconds to a big win, was how can I change a 10-1 loss into a win by Monday!

That's the plight of a headcoach. My players wanted to dump gatorade on me after that win that night....I said No way! (plus it was cold that night too). We have a more important match in a few days.

Well...we lost Monday night 5-2 and that ended any hope of making the playoffs that year. I should have enjoyed Thursday's big win more, I guess. Only, I couldn't. That's not what a headcoach does.

It's always about the NEXT GAME!

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Alabama won mainly because Texas lost the best QB in the country to an injury at the beginning of the game.

Champ okiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud of

Bama fans = LSU fans

Champ SixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    Alabama won mainly because Texas lost the best QB in the country to an injury at the beginning of the game.
    I agree. Texas had Bama on their heels until Colt went down.

Big Dog BOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the rough

does it really matter..... and as for the "best" qb comment... I don't think so.... the way he played in the Nebraska game...texas was lucky to even win it....and as for colts "toss up" ball at the end of the game and how he said he "planned" to have 1 sec on the clock because he had a game clock in his head....whatever....

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BOSTON View Post
    does it really matter..... and as for the "best" qb comment... I don't think so.... the way he played in the Nebraska game...texas was lucky to even win it....and as for colts "toss up" ball at the end of the game and how he said he "planned" to have 1 sec on the clock because he had a game clock in his head....whatever....
    Totally agree with Colts play that night but I would also say that one bad night after a hundred great ones doesn't mean you aren't a great or even the best QB.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, a school like Texas and a coach like Mack should have had them better prepared for that scenario. And I don't think Colt was the best QB in the country either.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Actually, a school like Texas and a coach like Mack should have had them better prepared for that scenario. And I don't think Colt was the best QB in the country either.

Maybe but it really can't be argued that he was an elite, top-flight QB who generated the majority of a Top-5 teams passing and rushing yards the last 3 years. The guy was a stud.

Asking Texas to be prepared to win without him is like the Saints being prepared to win the SuperBowl without Brees or The Colts without Manning.

........It's not happening.

I am not a huge Texas or Bama fan but I think Texas wins that game if Colt stays healthy.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Maybe but it really can't be argued that he was an elite, top-flight QB who generated the majority of a Top-5 teams passing and rushing yards the last 3 years. The guy was a stud.
    I agree with only this part of your post 100%.

Bulldog NateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by SixWings View Post
    exactly

Champ girldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud of

I don't know if he was the best, but I would have loved to see that game played with Colt in there. It was a shame that had to happen in such an important game.

Quote Originally Posted by SixWings View Post
    Wasn't it still 0-0 when McCoy got hurt? I do remember UT getting two FGs early, well, 1st qtr. But, to say Bama was "on their heels" is a bit of a stretch. It was way too early.

McCoy was the best QB in that game, granted. Not sure what Saban sees in that....er, just forgot his name....again. But, Bama's rushing attack was gounging Texas, 185 yds in the 1st half, and Bama's defense was eating 'em alive. Except for the QB position, Bama was better.

Bama went ultra-conservative in the 3rd qtr, and then turned it on again when UT clawed back to within 21-24.

Yes, the McCoy injury changed the game. But I think Bama would have still won, even with McCoy playing all 60 mins. Pace of the game and the final score would have been different, but Bama would have won. Texas was not gonna stop Bama's rushing attack, and Bama's defense would have done enough to slow McCoy down.

I do agree it was a shame Colt got hurt. As a fan, you always want to see both teams be able to put their best out there.

+ Reply to Thread