+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recruiting/Upcoming Season

Varsity Bulldog MoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the rough

Recruiting/Upcoming Season

Now that we have lost out on Josh Brown and will probably lose out on Scottie Farrington where will Coach Rupp and the staff go to find solid recuits? The team coming back has no dominant scorer and no one that can take over a game. Right now we are looking at finishing in the back half of the WAC if not last. The women's program is headed back towards the top while the mens program is headed back towards the bottom. Can Malone possibly finds some diamonds in the rough for a program that he brought near the top?

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Re: Recruiting/Upcoming Season

Quote Originally Posted by MoltonLava8 View Post
    Now that we have lost out on Josh Brown and will probably lose out on Scottie Farrington where will Coach Rupp and the staff go to find solid recuits? The team coming back has no dominant scorer and no one that can take over a game. Right now we are looking at finishing in the back half of the WAC if not last. The women's program is headed back towards the top while the mens program is headed back towards the bottom. Can Malone possibly finds some diamonds in the rough for a program that he brought near the top?
    I agree that no one has proven to be a dominant scorer yet but based on last season I saw enough potential from Olu, DeAndre, and Darrius to think all 3 could fit that role. The question will be who steps up into that role. This recruiting class will probably be a very good depth building class. I don't think this class will give us a go to scorer next season but it is going to give us a few options for the next few years.

That said, I'm not sold that we will be a bottom half team next year.

USU returns just about everyone. They will be good once again and seem a sure fire NCAA tournament team.

NMSU lost their top 2 scorers. They still have McKines, Gillenwater, and Rahman. But they lost 40 points per game.

Nevada loses Armon Johnson, Brandon Fields, and Joey Shaw. That was 40 points a game as well. I haven't heard Babbitt official say he is staying and I believe he has until the 25th to decide. And Nevada is a team that had less depth than us last year.

Fresno loses Paul George and Sylvester Seay. They were a decent team but they are losing 2 NBA draft picks.

Idaho loses almost all of their starting 5.

San Jose State loses Chris Oakes and Robert Owens. Their 2nd and 3rd leading scorer and their top rebounder. Unfortunately I believe Adrian Oliver was just a junior so he should be back. But San Jose didn't have that good of a team around him.

Boise loses actually probably has the most contributors (outside of Utah State) returning but they aren't that good of a team and have to adjust to a new coach.

And Hawaii...well...is Hawaii. And on top of that they lost their only good player Roderick Fleming.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    That said, I'm not sold that we will be a bottom half team next year.

USU returns just about everyone. They will be good once again and seem a sure fire NCAA tournament team.

NMSU lost their top 2 scorers. They still have McKines, Gillenwater, and Rahman. But they lost 40 points per game.

Nevada loses Armon Johnson, Brandon Fields, and Joey Shaw. That was 40 points a game as well. I haven't heard Babbitt official say he is staying and I believe he has until the 25th to decide. And Nevada is a team that had less depth than us last year.

Fresno loses Paul George and Sylvester Seay. They were a decent team but they are losing 2 NBA draft picks.

Idaho loses almost all of their starting 5.

San Jose State loses Chris Oakes and Robert Owens. Their 2nd and 3rd leading scorer and their top rebounder. Unfortunately I believe Adrian Oliver was just a junior so he should be back. But San Jose didn't have that good of a team around him.

Boise loses actually probably has the most contributors (outside of Utah State) returning but they aren't that good of a team and have to adjust to a new coach.

And Hawaii...well...is Hawaii. And on top of that they lost their only good player Roderick Fleming.
    Good evaluation of the strengths of the other 8 WAC teams. Two notes: I'm not sure that Paul George is gone YET. Also, don't count NMSU out even though Gibson and Young are gone. They will have to rely on their inside game more and this may be to their advantage considering their returning players.

Here's something that several knowledgable USU fans pointed out to me before our semifinal game with them this year. They think our coaches are better at pre-game planning and during the game adjustments than all the other WAC coaches, including Stew Morrill.

Bulldog bigjimfolsom has turned a few heads around herebigjimfolsom has turned a few heads around herebigjimfolsom has turned a few heads around here bigjimfolsom's Avatar

Babbitt just declared for the draft earlier today. He has hired an agent, good luck to him.

Jason Martin
    Tech '04

Varsity Bulldog MoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the roughMoltonLava8 is a jewel in the rough

With all the schools losing so many good players we have to complete this class with 3 or 4 guys that can be solid contributers. Has anyone ever heard the name Jeremy McLemore? Northwestern St wants him to walk on but he has so much more talent than that we need to make a run at him.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

With all the schools losing so many good players we have to complete this class with 3 or 4 guys that can be solid contributers. Has anyone ever heard the name Jeremy McLemore? Northwestern St wants him to walk on but he has so much more talent than that we need to make a run at him.
    If Northwestern State wants him as a walk on then that should raise questions about his ability. Not saying he's not worth a look. Just that based on that he probably isn't what we are looking for.

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

That is one skinny dude, 6-4,155.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    That is one skinny dude, 6-4,155.
    I was 6'4 155lbs when I graduated from high school. It's a good look. I recommend it.

I guarantee that he weighs a good 20 pounds heavier than that and he is only a walk on to Northwestern because he will be going to school for free with the way his grades are. He can knock down the 3 and that is one thing we need. Another guy we could maybe take a look at is Dean Johns from Southwood High School. The bottom line is he can flat out fill it up. Scored 30 points multiple times this year. One knock on him is that he is only 6 foot 1 and will likely play the two guard position. Definately has Division 1 talent though.

I guarantee that he weighs a good 20 pounds heavier than that and he is only a walk on to Northwestern because he will be going to school for free with the way his grades are. He can knock down the 3 and that is one thing we need. Another guy we could maybe take a look at is Dean Johns from Southwood High School. The bottom line is he can flat out fill it up. Scored 30 points multiple times this year. One knock on him is that he is only 6 foot 1 and will likely play the two guard position. Definately has Division 1 talent though.
    Then if he would go to school for free let him walk on here. With only 13 scholarships in basketball, getting good walk ons are key to success.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    This recruiting class will probably be a very good depth building class.
    Who are they? What players are coming to play / have signed?

Quote Originally Posted by OmahaDawg View Post
    Who are they? What players are coming to play / have signed?
    They haven't released the class yet so I don't know. Deuce Johnson is the only one I know for sure. Just have a hunch on others.

Champ parisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond repute parisdog's Avatar

I heard there are some well kept secret Eskimo players we are looking at bringing in next season.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I do think Dean Johns is worth a look.

+ Reply to Thread