+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Offense, New Freshman

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

New Offense, New Freshman

Now that most of us have an idea what the offense will be about/look like, what incoming freshman skill players will get redshirted, what players get playing time, and what players get significant playing time?

I'm almost certain Burch is relegated to play calling, but I'll be interested to see if West, Fortson, Shillow, Cheshier, or even Hayes get some playing time. I think West has the best shot if our RB's can't stay 95% by fall. He fits the mold of a swing route/screen or one-cut-and-sprint back that our new offense uses.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Re: New Offense, New Freshman

It's so hard to predict how a 18 year old kid will come in and be first year on campus. EVEN LIVAS wasn't great his first year. It took him almost half the season to figure out the college game and then he became SNL.

I would WANT:
    Redshirt: Taylor Burch, Antonio Burton, Noah Cheshier, Carey Fortson, Kendall Hayes, Anthony Garner, Connor Nichols, Michael Schrang, Gerard Shillow, Carter Street, Charcandrick West, Ryan Zeller

Provide depth and some PT: Seth Ancar, Kevin Kisseberth, Ryan Williams

Quality PT: Justin Goodman, Josh Tillman

I'm pretty much the Anti-Dooley. I want to make sure that I've got 5th year SR's EVERY YEAR!!! We've got plenty of WR's; Inside and Outside, so all the recievers can be RS'd with no to minimal effect. Moosey and Fortson; I'd RS them just because we can afford to do so with Livas, Fitte, Creer, Morrow, Casey, Duplessis, Compton, etc all on the depth chart where we can see them playing. Linebackers are ok with Cole, Dudley and rust as the starters, but we do need some depth (mainly just IKE and S. Randle) We'll see about James and Porter but don't expect too much in their first year. This is why I think that both Ancer and Kisserberth will both play some.

BTW... if they play up to their recruiting videos, how are the next 3 years going to with with IKE, Kisserberth, and Mt Ellis all on the field!!! (... and Cole still leading for the next 2 years) This defense seems LOADED. GOTTA get some help on the DLine, but WOW...

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

I think, barring injury (and this is the key), every single high school guy redshirts. After watching spring drills, Tillman isn't quite ready. He will redshirt. Goodman will play. If Ryan Williams will get eligible, he will play (he redshirted as JUCO, so Tech has nothing to lose by playing him -- 3 to play 3). If we see some injuries, Ancar and Kisseberth might get Special Teams duty.

I don't see any way Moosey plays. Honestly, I don't see anyway all of Creer, Fitte, Falls, Compton, DJ, and Duplessis play. I think one or both of DJ and Duplessis will redshirt this season. I think DJ is our lead back of the future, so putting a couple of years between he and Creer might be a good idea.

Doc -- I.K. isn't a linebacker. Dusty and Solomon start in Nickel, and Cole, Dudley, and Porter start in the base 4-3 set. Lots of depth everywhere at LB. You should expect a LOT from Porter. James is a physical beast and will compete for PT.

I think Shillow is our monster TE of the future, as he seems like an absolute perfect fit for this offense in Harper's role. Noah checked in on his visit at a svelte 6'2, 265. I'm thinking he may have a future on one of the lines if he adds weight. Might be a monster one day.

Champ SixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by CChandler View Post
    I think, barring injury (and this is the key), every single high school guy redshirts. After watching spring drills, Tillman isn't quite ready. He will redshirt. Goodman will play. If Ryan Williams will get eligible, he will play (he redshirted as JUCO, so Tech has nothing to lose by playing him -- 3 to play 3). If we see some injuries, Ancar and Kisseberth might get Special Teams duty.

I don't see any way Moosey plays. Honestly, I don't see anyway all of Creer, Fitte, Falls, Compton, DJ, and Duplessis play. I think one or both of DJ and Duplessis will redshirt this season. I think DJ is our lead back of the future, so putting a couple of years between he and Creer might be a good idea.

Doc -- I.K. isn't a linebacker. Dusty and Solomon start in Nickel, and Cole, Dudley, and Porter start in the base 4-3 set. Lots of depth everywhere at LB. You should expect a LOT from Porter. James is a physical beast and will compete for PT.

I think Shillow is our monster TE of the future, as he seems like an absolute perfect fit for this offense in Harper's role. Noah checked in on his visit at a svelte 6'2, 265. I'm thinking he may have a future on one of the lines if he adds weight. Might be a monster one day.
    Ike could finally be the athlete we've needed at DE. (which is where he's at in the depth chart)

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixWings View Post
    Ike could finally be the athlete we've needed at DE. (which is where he's at in the depth chart)
    Dude looks the part. I know that much.

Talking about depth, the two big issues for this signing class are DT and RT. Hitt and Ramone (whom really looked like he improved in Spring) graduate, leaving only White, Ellis, Lucas, and Longino, none of whom have contributed in a D1A game yet. Our 2011 starting OL is Mills, Saia, Sheppard, Warner, and a giant gaping hole at RT (Kavitt?).

We need to sign 2 big time JUCO DTs AND 2 or more high school DTs this year. And we need one of those huge 6'7 350 pound JUCO RTs to come in here, and 5 or 6 freshmen OL.

This class needs to be all about the lines. We're good everywhere else.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

This class needs to be all about the lines. We're good everywhere else.
    Yup!! If we even recruit WR's or Safety's, then they better be Blue Chippers. We don't have available playing time and we don't really need depth at either position this year.

On the IKE deal, I thought that he was looking at being used as a hybrid DE/OLB; not as a pure DE.

For Ancer and Kiserberth, if they burn a shirt solely for Special Teams (ala Crowe last year), then I'll be pretty disappointed. I HATE looking at a players profile and seeing "In 2008 'Player' contributed in 10 games and recorded 3 tackles." :bigcry:

Varsity Bulldog chev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her game

Our 2011 starting OL is Mills, Saia, Sheppard, Warner, and a giant gaping hole at RT (Kavitt?).
    Don't forget Zeller was picked up this year.I also hope a recent walk on with Left and Right Tackle experience might fill the position.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    Yup!! If we even recruit WR's or Safety's, then they better be Blue Chippers. We don't have available playing time and we don't really need depth at either position this year.

On the IKE deal, I thought that he was looking at being used as a hybrid DE/OLB; not as a pure DE.

For Ancer and Kiserberth, if they burn a shirt solely for Special Teams (ala Crowe last year), then I'll be pretty disappointed. I HATE looking at a players profile and seeing "In 2008 'Player' contributed in 10 games and recorded 3 tackles." :bigcry:
    If a player is going to play in 10 games (even if it is just special teams) that is fine with me. I think the game action they see matters more than the stats. What I don't want to see is a player play in 5 or less games.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    If a player is going to play in 10 games (even if it is just special teams) that is fine with me. I think the game action they see matters more than the stats. What I don't want to see is a player play in 5 or less games.
    Would you get more production from a TRUE Freshman on kickoff duties (2-5 plays a game) or a 5th year Senior?? You can't tell me that we can't use 9-10 of these 22+ guys: Ellis, Tou, Simmons, Slack, Cassetti Brown, RP, Anglin, Giles, Edwards, Perkins, Broussand, Ford, Oakley, Falls, Washington, James, Porter, Crowe (now, not last year), S. Randle, Zeno, Voss, Dickson, and many more walkon's that have already used up a RS INSTEAD OF burning a shirt on 2 TRUE freshmen.

You can look at some of these guys profiles and see that they played in 4-8 games instead of RS'ing. I know that I'm in the minority and that it's not all that popular, but that's how I feel.

Crowe : 5 games, 1 tackle
    Shak Lucas: 1 game, 1 tackle

Dudley: 4 games, 2 solo, 4 assissted - Academic casualty for the first 9 games
    Longino: 4 games, 3 tackles
    Harper: 6 games, 2 solo, 3 assisted

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Would you get more production from a TRUE Freshman on kickoff duties (2-5 plays a game) or a 5th year Senior?? You can't tell me that we can't use 9-10 of these 22+ guys: Ellis, Tou, Simmons, Slack, Cassetti Brown, RP, Anglin, Giles, Edwards, Perkins, Broussand, Ford, Oakley, Falls, Washington, James, Porter, Crowe (now, not last year), S. Randle, Zeno, Voss, Dickson, and many more walkon's that have already used up a RS INSTEAD OF burning a shirt on 2 TRUE freshmen.

You can look at some of these guys profiles and see that they played in 4-8 games instead of RS'ing. I know that I'm in the minority and that it's not all that popular, but that's how I feel.
    To me it depends on how much you need them next season. I'd rather be playing a true sophomore with game experience than a red shirt freshman. Also while 5th year seniors are good to have, there is more of a chance that a 4th year junior will go pro (if he's good enough).

5th year seniors are great to have. If you can't see yourself using a kid in 6 games (about half the season) then you are better off redshirting a kid. If you need to use a kid in half the season then there is a good chance he is going to be needed to contribute next season so you are better off getting him experience now.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    To me it depends on how much you need them next season. I'd rather be playing a true sophomore with game experience than a red shirt freshman. Also while 5th year seniors are good to have, there is more of a chance that a 4th year junior will go pro (if he's good enough).

5th year seniors are great to have. If you can't see yourself using a kid in 6 games (about half the season) then you are better off redshirting a kid. If you need to use a kid in half the season then there is a good chance he is going to be needed to contribute next season so you are better off getting him experience now.
    I just think it is a "whatever it takes to win" situation. 5th year seniors are great, but anything can happen in 5 years - especially injuries. If a freshman is ready to play and can help us win, get him in there. I know that is against the grain, but there are more recruits next year. When we get to the point that are are bowl bound year after year and winning the WAC, then we have the luxury of more red shirting. I want the best players on the field (granted, I agree that true freshmen are NOT always ready - that is the only reason I would hold anyone back though).

I am a "I WANT IT NOW" type person.

Champ rangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant future

The starting LB's are the same in the nickle as in the 4-3 set except they add a WLB in the 4-3. Most games start in the Gator/Nickle with Tank taking the Nickle backer hybrid position. However, the MLB and SLB remain the same starters in either package.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Crowe : 5 games, 1 tackle
    Shak Lucas: 1 game, 1 tackle

Dudley: 4 games, 2 solo, 4 assissted - Academic casualty for the first 9 games
    Longino: 4 games, 3 tackles
    Harper: 6 games, 2 solo, 3 assisted
    Lucas didn't play. That's been discussed before. He'll be a RSFR this year. Dudley was a RSFR in 2008 and wasn't elligible until the last 2 games and the bowl game.
    Last edited by DONW; 04-23-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Champ okiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud of

Is Dusty listed as a starter now?

+ Reply to Thread