+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech and the SEC

Big Dog Snapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to behold

Re: Tech and the SEC

Quote Originally Posted by NathanDarby View Post
    They probably did have that many, but it ain't just because of their football game. Mississippi State does an unbelievable job of MARKETING their spring game. It is just a small part of what is known as Super Bulldog Weekend. There are TONS of activities, baseball games, cooking competitions, a music festival, an arts festival, and other things all coordinated for the same weekend. People from all over the state go up to Starkville for that weekend. All the Greek organizations have their huge spring parties on the same weekend. It is, in short, and EVENT. It has become so successful that Ole Miss copied the idea (although they would never admit it) and calls their weekend Double Decker, after the British double decker buses that run around Oxford. I wish Tech/Ruston would take the hint and do something similar. It is a huge revenue producing weekend for the cities of Oxford and Starkville.

http://media.www.reflector-online.co...-3875372.shtml

http://www.mstateathletics.com/ViewA...CLID=204872279

http://monkeytoesmom.wordpress.com/2...lldog-weekend/
    At least something came out of this thread. If we are going to put 30-50 thousand fans in a stadium in Ruston, football at Tech has to become a social event.

Champ DawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the rough

This is just my personal philosophy, never be happy with how/where you are, you can always do a little better...I think Tech should be like this as well. We should always be wanting more both academically and athletically. We simply put should want to be the best. Not the best in Louisiana, not the best in the WAC, not the best in the South, but the absolute best.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFight71 View Post
    This is just my personal philosophy, never be happy with how/where you are, you can always do a little better...I think Tech should be like this as well. We should always be wanting more both academically and athletically. We simply put should want to be the best. Not the best in Louisiana, not the best in the WAC, not the best in the South, but the absolute best.
    Best post of this thread. For all those that made fun of us being in the SEC, remember we used to be in the "small college division". Never be satisfied with where you are. It might take many steps, but my dream is to one day see Tech in one of the bcs aq conferences and competing for National Championships. It should be all our dream.

Also, for those that think fan support is the problem - put us in the SEC and see how fan support across Louisiana and in the tri-state area booms.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Barring some kind of government intervention, regionally mandated conferences, or something else; the SEC is the least likely conference for us to get in out of just about all of them.

We bring pretty much nothing to the SEC.

1. We don't bring any money to the conference.
    2. We don't bring particularly strong athletics to the table.
    3. The markets we have access to are already controlled by LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and MS State.
    4. We don't bring academic prestige or large federal research to the conference.

If you want to make a plan, start with what we bring to the table that lots of other schools in the southeast don't bring.

I could see us going to a conference like the Big 12 or something if they felt they wanted to get a stronger foothold in Louisiana for recruiting purposes. Our buffer zone from BCS schools would make it easier to carve a nich from the BCS programs in North LA, South Ark.

If you have a few billion lying around you could probably improve Techs lot in college athletics and academics enough to make these talks less fantastical. If we had a billion dollar endowment like Tulane, a great football team like TCU, a great basketball team like Memphis, or a new untapped market that they could take over then maybe we could make a good case for inclusion.

If the opportunity presents itself we should go after it whatever it is. Right now the C-USA looks like our next step. We need to do everything we can to improve our school for whatever comes next.
    Last edited by detltu; 04-26-2010 at 04:46 PM.

LaTech Occupy Gameday Czar! techfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to behold

I cant believe this thread was even started

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techfan01 View Post
    Football season is a long way away. We're bored.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRDawg81 View Post
    We've beaten MSU, given Auburn something of a scare with no offense, had Arkansas beaten (and the refs wouldn't be biased because we would be SEC too) and just imagine what the game would be like when DD brought Tenn in. We would have to play several games in Shreveport until JAS was up to snuff, but we could get there with another 20 mil(?) a year the SEC gets. Hey, if you don't shoot for the stars you will never get there.
    That's the bottom line. I GUARANTEE that we could do more with MSU's budget than they have done. And if we were taking Arkansas's spot in the conference we'd have half a million fans within a 2 1/2 hour radius overnight, as we'd be an automatic lock for those in these parts who love to hate lsu.

You guys who pull in this "you can't even beat Nevada" crap crack me up. You can't look at competition without also looking at the $$$$. All I'm saying is that if we had the kind of conference payout that the SEC schools get, we'd easily more than quadruple our LTAC donations, our recruiting in the 4 main sports (football, M & W basketball, and baseball) would shoot through the roof, and we'd hit Reneau's 15k enrollment cap all in about 6 months. The Haynesville Shale wouldn't have nothin' on the Ruston Dawgs.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techfan01 View Post
    It's 10x better than still listening to the AAU bitchin' babies over in Karl's Kourt.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    It's 10x better than still listening to the AAU bitchin' babies over in Karl's Kourt.
    +1 I have a hard time going to Karl's Kourt to look at it.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    That's the bottom line. I GUARANTEE that we could do more with MSU's budget than they have done. And if we were taking Arkansas's spot in the conference we'd have half a million fans within a 2 1/2 hour radius overnight, as we'd be an automatic lock for those in these parts who love to hate lsu.

You guys who pull in this "you can't even beat Nevada" crap crack me up. You can't look at competition without also looking at the $$$$. All I'm saying is that if we had the kind of conference payout that the SEC schools get, we'd easily more than quadruple our LTAC donations, our recruiting in the 4 main sports (football, M & W basketball, and baseball) would shoot through the roof, and we'd hit Reneau's 15k enrollment cap all in about 6 months. The Haynesville Shale wouldn't have nothin' on the Ruston Dawgs.
    Its undeniable that given an SEC budget we could compete. The problem is we don't bring our own SEC budget. SEC membership would also instantly cause our recruiting to get much better and our attendance to skyrocket. We would only be cannibalizing markets from current SEC teams though so we would bring basically no new fans to the picture and no new money.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    Personally I love the discussion on Karl's Kourt. I think it is really hilarious. But maybe that is because I never shy away from an argument.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Dreams and wishes are great. I am sure everyone on this board would love to see TECH in the SEC with a big BCS budget and we should all aspire to be the best we can. But if we ever truly want to be in that position, we will have to plan and act on that plan. We will have to overcome some current disadvantages that are out of TECH's control. We will have to move faster and farther in every area that counts than everyone else that dreams of moving up.
    The current move by the large BCS conferences to form super conferences could be the final blow in killing the dreams of the have nots becoming the haves. Once these super conferences are formed, then moving up could be blocked due to there being no room to move up and forcing your way in will require overwhelming superiority in the areas that count.

I too am enthusiastic over every move up we take big and small. If we want to get to the top, we better do more than want though.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    If we had a billion dollar endowment like Tulane.

They hit a billion in 2007.....I wonder how 2008/2009 treated those investments.

edit....$1.04 billion for 2008....geesh....and they slashed athletic spending starting in June of 2009.......http://blog.nola.com/tulanebeat/2009...lements_m.html

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post
    They hit a billion in 2007.....I wonder how 2008/2009 treated those investments.

edit....$1.04 billion for 2008....geesh....and they slashed athletic spending starting in June of 2009.......http://blog.nola.com/tulanebeat/2009...lements_m.html
    What is Tulane saving its 1 billion endowment for?

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    Personally I love the discussion on Karl's Kourt. I think it is really hilarious. But maybe that is because I never shy away from an argument.
    That's for sure....

But if you really think about it, someone else I was talking to stated it beautifully. "Just think about what he's going to be telling Darius all summer long in Florida".

I'd say that the chances of Darius returning are less than 50% almost completely because the whining baby aau coach.

+ Reply to Thread