View Poll Results: Do you like or dislike the current baseball power ranking system?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%
  • dislike

5 100.00%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Baseball Pwer Ranking System

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

Baseball Pwer Ranking System

What was the LHSAA thinkign adopting this system? My school has benifited from it, but we in no way deserve what we are getting. We are ranked 9th in the state in class C. We have a record of 2-18 and will likely get a bye in the first round of the playoffs, then a home game. This is rediculous. I almost feel bad for having manipulated the system the way I did. ALMOST

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Re: Baseball Pwer Ranking System

It is crazy. No two ways about it.

LaTech Occupy Gameday Czar! techfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to behold

Its awful. But the way they had it before had it's flaws. My senior year we tied for second in district and lost the tie breaker game on a neutral field pretty much on purpose. The way the playoff brackets were set up the 3rd place team in our district would play Central Catholic (The future state champs) at home in the Quarterfinals, and the second place team would play Central Catholic at home in the second round.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techfan01 View Post
    Its awful. But the way they had it before had it's flaws. My senior year we tied for second in district and lost the tie breaker game on a neutral field pretty much on purpose. The way the playoff brackets were set up the 3rd place team in our district would play Central Catholic (The future state champs) at home in the Quarterfinals, and the second place team would play Central Catholic at home in the second round.
    That was bad. This is worse. I'm for seeding, just not by computers. They seed in high school tennis with humans with a lot less information, nay almost no information, and it is usually pretty close.

LaTech Occupy Gameday Czar! techfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    That was bad. This is worse. I'm for seeding, just not by computers. They seed in high school tennis with humans with a lot less information, nay almost no information, and it is usually pretty close.
    I agree this is an awful system.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techfan01 View Post
    I agree this is an awful system.
    I believe, as do alot of other people, that the formula used for softball/basketball is more accurate. Yes, you will still have some issues. But, it puts less emphasis on how many wins your opponent has. If you lose, instead of getting 100%, you get 1/3 of their wins. Would be surprised if the same formula is used again next year.

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

Why not use a BCS type system half rankings and half human

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE collar View Post
    Why not use a BCS type system half rankings and half human
    Possible. But I believe using human votes leads to biased results. Definitely some politicing goes on. There's no perfect solution, but this system is better than what has been used in the past.imo
    Last edited by mentechsters; 04-26-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    Possible. But I believe using human votes leads to biased results. Definitely some politicing goes on. There's no perfect solution, but this system is better than what has been used in the past.imo
    I disagree. The coaches polls seemed pretty acurate for the most part. take the softball formula and average it out with the coaches poll and I think you will have a dead on analysis

+ Reply to Thread