+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Spill..Sure glad

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Oil Spill..Sure glad

A friend of mine at UNO said she smelled it tonight too, so I guess Luling is possible. I'd be surprised if we ever smelled it in Baton Rouge though. I guess I don't know how well that can travel.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I have friends in N.O. that stated that they started smelling faint odors of it last night. This is going to be rough.........

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    I was in high school when the Exxon Valdez crashed in Alaska (1989?)

I was taking a biology class at the time, and we had a discussion about oil spills. Our teacher told us that they had already (this was 89) developed a type of micro-organism that would eat raw crude oil and it was usable in ocean waters. The problem was that once the oil was gone, they had no way of knowing whether the organism would continue living, and had no idea what else it might eat if it continued to live.

You would think that in 20+ years, someone could have made some progress in that area. Not only could the team of scientists save a lot of marine life on the Louisiana coast, but they would probably win lots of awards.

Anyone else ever heard of this?
    Yep...it was a bacteria I believe. But bacteria have a nasty habit of jumping from depending on one type of food or substrate to another.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by louisiana_dog View Post

No sir,

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/04/louisiana_officials_say_odor_i.html (comments below are hilarious)

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2010/04/fuel_smell_wafts_over_new_orle.html

http://www.wwl.com/Odor-from-slick-already-detectable-in-metro-New-Or/6930543

They are worried about people getting sick...another lawsuit will probably be filled...

I'm about 16 miles east of N.O.

Currently at the airport working, you can smell it outside.

Kind of weird, never thought about the smell aspect of it. I work at the airport, I know what jet exhaust smells like. This is similar, but with a different hint to it. Besides, the odor is all over, not just here.
    In Metairie/Jefferson Parish but not in Plaquemines Parish? From a timeline aspect, those reports are being filed after the planned burn happened. That I can totally understand but not smelling it that far away prior to it being set on fire. That you would smell. Hum.............

BTW, any of you remember when old Jefferson Downs burned to the ground and how bad the smell was from the old wood and stable hay etc....?

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

My wife and I smelled something last night while I was helping collect bugs for a school project for my son. I told my wife it was the oil spill because it smelled like it but I still didn't trust my nose. I awoke this morning to find that friends of mine on Facebook in Baton Rouge and Port Allen claimed to have smelled something last night as well. The wind down here is from the southeast and pretty stiff.

I have a sinking feeling this is going to cause major problems to the seafood industry here -- especially oysters.

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    My wife and I smelled something last night while I was helping collect bugs for a school project for my son. I told my wife it was the oil spill because it smelled like it but I still didn't trust my nose. I awoke this morning to find that friends of mine on Facebook in Baton Rouge and Port Allen claimed to have smelled something last night as well. The wind down here is from the southeast and pretty stiff.

I have a sinking feeling this is going to cause major problems to the seafood industry here -- especially oysters.
    All I've smelled in BR are the plants and grass around where I live, like normal. I DID go feast on oysters last night though with friends, since we realize this will ruin the oyster business here.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

They have opened up shrimp season early to help salvage what they have, but this is going to REALLY hurt the seafood industry for a while.

I worry about the economy with that. I REALLY worry about our marshes and wetlands, though. This is a true "nature" - not "natural" disaster.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu7 View Post
    All I've smelled in BR are the plants and grass around where I live, like normal. I DID go feast on oysters last night though with friends, since we realize this will ruin the oyster business here.
    It wasn't persistent. I smelled it for about 5 minutes and then it went away. I think Tyler may be on to something with the burn. That said, I am still shocked it would have maintained any sort of density that far from the burn.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    They have opened up shrimp season early to help salvage what they have, but this is going to REALLY hurt the seafood industry for a while.

I worry about the economy with that. I REALLY worry about our marshes and wetlands, though. This is a true "nature" - not "natural" disaster.
    It is going to hurt the oil service industry as well. Let's also not forget that some kids lost their dads too. It is a tragic event, no two ways about it.

With that said, I dread to see what the Communist in Chief is going to do with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    It is going to hurt the oil service industry as well. Let's also not forget that some kids lost their dads too. It is a tragic event, no two ways about it.

With that said, I dread to see what the Communist in Chief is going to do with this.
    You are so right. Even though, you know we disagree on the President, your other statements are right on target with mine.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    You are so right. Even though, you know we disagree on the President, your other statements are right on target with mine.
    Yea. When I posted that, I thought you would want to red and green dot me at the same time.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

I want to know why the automatic safety shutoff down at the bottom didn't work....I suppose it got crushed by the falling rig?

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    I want to know why the automatic safety shutoff down at the bottom didn't work....I suppose it got crushed by the falling rig?
    It should have been pinched way before the rig started to fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    Yea. When I posted that, I thought you would want to red and green dot me at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    It should have been pinched way before the rig started to fall.
    That is what I have heard, as well. I certainly don't know much about rigs, but have heard this several times over the last week.

+ Reply to Thread