View Poll Results: What do you think about the Arizona immigration law?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

63 80.77%
  • Against

8 10.26%
  • Undecided

7 8.97%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Arizona Immigration Law

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Arizona Immigration Law

Kinda surprised nobody has started a thread on this. What do you think about it?

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Re: Arizona Immigration Law

I started to start this thread a half dozen times, but decided I did not know what the heck I was talking about and so I dropped it. From what I know of the law, LEO's can demand proof from immigrant-looking people (red flag right there) that they are in the country legally. At least that is the gist of it. I realize that there are other parts to it, but have not had the time to delve into it more deeply. However, if this is so then I am probably against it. It sounds un-constitutional on the surface. I am strongly in favor of immigration reform, but I do not think this is it. This sounds too much like "let me zee your papers please..." for me. And while this might be a noble endeavour at this point, I can see it being turned on other groups and citizens in general under a more draconian regime. Yes, this is a state law, but I can see the feds stealing this idea very quickly.

Let me know if there are safeguards that I am unaware of...

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

If you are not a US citizen, I'm not too concerned about your rights. Keeping a little documentation on your person at all times to prove you are here legally seems pretty damn easy to me.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

It was already re-written to say that they can't do that. Has to be another reason you're talking with them (speeding, robbery, jay-walking, etc)

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Here is a link to the Arizona Bill:

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

I believe the part JuBru is talking about in in paragraph B, Line 20

B. FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY
    OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE, WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON. THE PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PURSUANT TO 8 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 1373(c).

"Lawful Contact" being the key words here, IMHO.
    Last edited by LABulldog; 05-02-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Mexico has much more severe laws against illegal immigration, but chastised us for ours!

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    Mexico has much more severe laws against illegal immigration, but chastised us for ours!
    Well-known and well-ignored double-standard hypocrisy. Any politicians or celebrities comparing Arizona to Nazi Germany should be required to make that same comparison to Mexico or any country (almost all BTW) that has and actually enforces its laws regarding non-citizens within its borders.

We don't need new immigration laws until the Federal government actually tries to enforce existing law.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    It was already re-written to say that they can't do that. Has to be another reason you're talking with them (speeding, robbery, jay-walking, etc)

Ahh, OK. So kind of like seat belt laws.

And Rouge, my major concern is when this law is turned on legitimate U.S. citizens and the federales take control and we have to have "papers" everywhere we go. Dictatorial governments have a tendency to do that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    We don't need new immigration laws until the Federal government actually tries to enforce existing law.

AMEN!!!!

Champ DawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    my major concern is when this law is turned on legitimate U.S. citizens and the federales take control and we have to have "papers" everywhere we go.
    Couldn't they just put something on driver licenses or issued I.D.'s? It would be something everyone has on their person majority of the time and probably would be easy to search in a law enforcement data base if a person didn't have it on them.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Most illegals don't have a DL. If a US citizen is "questioned" without any ID handy, it will be easy enough for them to identify themselves and prove it.

You have to indentify yourself to a cop anyways. The DL is always required while on the roads and if the officer is conducting an investigation, you have to give your name, date of birth, and maybe your address so they can run you for warrants.

The AZ law is not that big of a deal. It's just trying to pick up where the feds are failing. And why shouldn't they? They are the hardest hit by the lackadasical scalawags in DC.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

I think the whole thing is ridiculous. We should be protecting our borders and shipping illegal immigrants back to where they came from through well-established Constitutional methods.

Why do we need new laws that could very easily lead to the violation of the 4th Amendment protections of U.S. citizens?

I don't think we do. Especially considering that there's no real clear source on what the AZ law says. I've heard three completely different interpretations of the law on PBS, Fox, and Walton & Johnson. I would be willing to say that this law will lead to more civil rights violations of US citizens than it will deportations of illegal immigrants that would have been safe under existing laws.

Quote Originally Posted by duckbillplatty View Post
    I think the whole thing is ridiculous. We should be protecting our borders and shipping illegal immigrants back to where they came from through well-established Constitutional methods.

Why do we need new laws that could very easily lead to the violation of the 4th Amendment protections of U.S. citizens?

I don't think we do. Especially considering that there's no real clear source on what the AZ law says. I've heard three completely different interpretations of the law on PBS, Fox, and Walton & Johnson. I would be willing to say that this law will lead to more civil rights violations of US citizens than it will deportations of illegal immigrants that would have been safe under existing laws.
    Arizone law enforcement could take no action because it is a federal law and not a state law.

Now they can act on Arizona law. That is the purpose.

People are asked to identify themselves every day in this country and it's not a 4th amendment violation.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    Arizone law enforcement could take no action because it is a federal law and not a state law.
    Can't they hold them for the INS with existing laws?

+ Reply to Thread