+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 7 New Players

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Re: 7 New Players

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    He means BAP as opposed to recruiting for "need" I think.

Like in the draft.

We have PGs, but we recruited one anyway because he is the best player.
    I think Ford is saying while he was BAP, that wasn't why we recruited him. We've been trying to get a couple of point guards in this class all year. We wanted Holton and McNeaill. But McNeaill committed to Nebraska. Now that he decommitted we are able to land him.

Both are decent shooters so both can be on the floor at the same time as DeAndre (we saw this some last year with Dre and Yonas). But probably we wanted to have depth at this position for a few years.

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

Okay, I'm slow it took me a good 5 minutes to figure out what the heck BAP was. Y'all and your internet short hand.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post

Considering all the doom and gloom that is not a bad class. How in the world did we get those kids without Nikita??

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Considering all the doom and gloom that is not a bad class. How in the world did we get those kids without Nikita??
    And one!!!

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

People just assumed our class went out the window when he left. We lucked in a little bit on Sterns and McNeaill as they were both committed elsewhere not that long ago. But these are all guys that we've been recruiting for some time.

Before DFM or someone else asks, he has a listed ACT of 20 and GPA of 2.8.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    People just assumed our class went out the window when he left. We lucked in a little bit on Sterns and McNeaill as they were both committed elsewhere not that long ago. But these are all guys that we've been recruiting for some time.

Stearns looks like a Fullback. He might just be 6' tall but that kid looks bulked up. I really like this class. You have to have solid PG play in college bb. It's a must. And if this PF from Brazil can shoot as good as advertized we should really be able to spread the floor. Olu will only benefit from this as he takes it to the rack.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

This looks like a good sign.

Here is Jamison Sterns 3rd recruit site info (ESPN). Grade of 87 which means "Player has the potential to start or significantly contribute as a freshman for most top national Division I programs."

December, 2008: Sterns is a shooting guard in a point guard's body that comes off the bench as the dependable scoring 6th man for Duncanville. He is looking to make a scoring play on every catch. Sterns looked over weight at the Marshall County Hoop Fest and it seems to affect his game. He is a streaky shooter to begin with but went 4-16 from the floor and 1-8 from thee in their two games. He can knock down the three when his feet are set and he also scores on drives using a nice crossover move the ends at the rim or a one or two dribble pull up mostly going to his left. He is a good ball handler and decent passer as well but he wants to attack off the dribble and shoot the deep three as much as possible. He is a capable defender but must put forth more energy on that end of the floor. Sterns also looked overweight and he didn't seem as explosive as he did in the summer when he made his scoring moves and he also had trouble staying in front of the ball when defending quick guards. Sterns is a good player but has seemed to slip in production as of late.

November, 2008: This kid has a "Vinny Johnson" type mentality; he comes of the bench looking score. Although streaky at times, he showed he can make a deep range 3, but I am not sure his timing and shot selection are always in line with what the coach wants. Built like a fire hydrant, Sterns does not pass the initial look test for the prototypical high-major two guard, but the more you watch of him the more you appreciate what he does. Using his body as a battering ram at times (he needs to be more under control), he is quick and explosive to the basket. Defensively, his size may be problematic at the college level, but not versus high school competition. I would like to see him dominate his opponent more and be a little more focused on that end of the floor. He is definitely capable of it, he just needs to be willing to use his strength and quickness to his advantage.

December, 2007: Jamison Sterns is a strong scoring guard who plays a lot better than he looks. When seeing him play, it is clear that he could get in better shape and can work on his body, but he also is very talented, can really score the ball and also has surprising athleticism. Sterns can really shoot off the dribble and is very good at using his body to finish in the paint. He does need to do a better job of getting his teammates involved and needs to work on becoming more of a true point guard. There are times when he doesn't play hard and he needs to get better at moving his feet on defense. Strens certainly can score and he is a gifted athlete with a chance to turn into a very good player.

Big Dog kdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of light

Stearns looks like a Fullback. He might just be 6' tall but that kid looks bulked up. I really like this class. You have to have solid PG play in college bb. It's a must. And if this PF from Brazil can shoot as good as advertized we should really be able to spread the floor. Olu will only benefit from this as he takes it to the rack.
    Kid is huge. He would be the biggest/second biggest (Creer) RB on our FB team.

Take these for what it is worth. Just a scout who saw them play and their insight on what they can do.

And McNeaill. Rating of 85 but still listed as a high major prospect.

June, 2009: A true point guard that is a good not great athlete who plays hard on both ends of the floor. He pushes the ball in transition and also does a good job of running the offense and getting teammates involved. He is a good ball handler and open shooter with three point range. McNeaill is strong, steady and a good decision maker. On defense he is a good on ball defender that sets the tone with his energy and effort. The Huskers like his strength, toughness and upside.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Here is Jamison Sterns 3rd recruit site info (ESPN). Grade of 87 which means "Player has the potential to start or significantly contribute as a freshman for most top national Division I programs."

December, 2008: Sterns is a shooting guard in a point guard's body that comes off the bench as the dependable scoring 6th man for Duncanville. He is looking to make a scoring play on every catch. Sterns looked over weight at the Marshall County Hoop Fest and it seems to affect his game. He is a streaky shooter to begin with but went 4-16 from the floor and 1-8 from thee in their two games. He can knock down the three when his feet are set and he also scores on drives using a nice crossover move the ends at the rim or a one or two dribble pull up mostly going to his left. He is a good ball handler and decent passer as well but he wants to attack off the dribble and shoot the deep three as much as possible. He is a capable defender but must put forth more energy on that end of the floor. Sterns also looked overweight and he didn't seem as explosive as he did in the summer when he made his scoring moves and he also had trouble staying in front of the ball when defending quick guards. Sterns is a good player but has seemed to slip in production as of late.

November, 2008: This kid has a "Vinny Johnson" type mentality; he comes of the bench looking score. Although streaky at times, he showed he can make a deep range 3, but I am not sure his timing and shot selection are always in line with what the coach wants. Built like a fire hydrant, Sterns does not pass the initial look test for the prototypical high-major two guard, but the more you watch of him the more you appreciate what he does. Using his body as a battering ram at times (he needs to be more under control), he is quick and explosive to the basket. Defensively, his size may be problematic at the college level, but not versus high school competition. I would like to see him dominate his opponent more and be a little more focused on that end of the floor. He is definitely capable of it, he just needs to be willing to use his strength and quickness to his advantage.

December, 2007: Jamison Sterns is a strong scoring guard who plays a lot better than he looks. When seeing him play, it is clear that he could get in better shape and can work on his body, but he also is very talented, can really score the ball and also has surprising athleticism. Sterns can really shoot off the dribble and is very good at using his body to finish in the paint. He does need to do a better job of getting his teammates involved and needs to work on becoming more of a true point guard. There are times when he doesn't play hard and he needs to get better at moving his feet on defense. Strens certainly can score and he is a gifted athlete with a chance to turn into a very good player.
    Take this with a grain of salt as it's just my own analysis on Sterns:

It appears as if Sterns projected as a MAJOR recruit earlier in his career. He committed to Baylor as a freshman. But as is the case with many young standouts, he stopped growing and his ceiling became lower. As it became more clear that Sterns was going to be a 6-foot combo guard, Baylor backed off and he eventually signed with UTEP.

Don't get me wrong. I really, really like this kid. I think he's the best guard we've signed since Kyle Gibson. He's going to be able to do some interesting things. He's a scorer who can handle, more than a true facilitator. He'll allow us to go small and quick by playing on the wing, or he can give us someone who can get in the lane and create as a point guard.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post

It appears as if Sterns projected as a MAJOR recruit earlier in his career. He committed to Baylor as a freshman. But as is the case with many young standouts, he stopped growing and his ceiling became lower. As it became more clear that Sterns was going to be a 6-foot combo guard, Baylor backed off and he eventually signed with UTEP.

Don't get me wrong. I really, really like this kid. I think he's the best guard we've signed since Kyle Gibson. He's going to be able to do some interesting things. He's a scorer who can handle, more than a true facilitator. He'll allow us to go small and quick by playing on the wing, or he can give us someone who can get in the lane and create as a point guard.
    I don't disagree.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post

I don't disagree.
    Y'all go get a room or something.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    He means BAP as opposed to recruiting for "need" I think.

Like in the draft.

We have PGs, but we recruited one anyway because he is the best player.
    Bingo

+ Reply to Thread