+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (Conf. Realignment) The Benefit of Working With ULL

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

(Conf. Realignment) The Benefit of Working With ULL

I know, I know. ULLLLLLLLLLL. USL. U La La. Etc.

BUT...has anyone considered this? Working with ULL in conference realignment, and subsequently joining ULL in a conference that doesn't include ULM. Basically, blackballing ULM from whatever geographic non-BCS conference comes out of realignment.

Wouldn't this be the nail in the coffin for ULM athletics as a D1A entity? Wouldn't this, then, better both LA Tech's AND ULL's agenda? (Tech becomes the lone D1A program in North Louisiana; ULL has more ammo in their goal of being regarded as sole University of Louisiana)

ULM couldn't function as an independent. They would have to either drop down or drop athletics entirely. ULM's proverbial death helps ULL and it REALLY helps Louisiana Tech. Isn't that 'worth' working with ULL? I think so. Big time.

Think about it.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Re: (Conf. Realignment) The Benefit of Working With ULL

Tech, Lsu and ULL should be the only universities in this state.....and we should have teamed up with UL-L years ago to better position each university....esp. to have a chance against the lsu machine......problem is that their fanbase is lsu first and ul-l second, except for a couple thousand diehards.

Notice - UL-m athletics is dead....they are just waiting on the coffin for the funeral.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

But nlulm is already in a conf, so that would require a belch implosion to leave them out.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post
    Notice - UL-m athletics is dead....they are just waiting on the coffin for the funeral.
    But they're still technically alive. I think that, without conference support (and a Tech/ULL alliance has the ability to make this happen), the program LITERALLY dies, at least as a D1A entity.

This helps everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    But nlulm is already in a conf, so that would require a belch implosion to leave them out.
    This is assuming that this happens.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

folks, UL-m is not on our radar and has not been since 1988. Who cares what happens to them? Their own fan base does not care.....the next round of shakeups will take care of them no matter what we do / want.

When you have less than 1,500 average actual butts in seats at your home games (in Monroe) you are dead......

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post
    folks, UL-m is not on our radar and has not been since 1988. Who cares what happens to them? Their own fan base does not care.....the next round of shakeups will take care of them no matter what we do / want.

When you have less than 1,500 average actual butts in seats at your home games (in Monroe) you are dead......
    I think so too. What I'm proposing just expedites the process.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not opposed to being in a conference with ULL and I'm certainly not opposed to ULM dropping from D1. I just don't see us teaming up with ULL having any affect on it. What conference would that help us get into? Are you suggesting hitching our wagon to ULL to help get us somewhere?

My objections:
    1. ULL won't help us get into any conference.
    2. ULM isn't going to get into another conference.
    3. If we make ULL part of a package deal with us it could very well keep us out of a conference.
    4. If you are suggesting us joining the Sunbelt on the condition that ULM be kicked out then I am very opposed to that. ULM isn't the problem with the Sunbelt.

So explain to me how teaming up with ULL would help again.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CChandler View Post
    I think so too. What I'm proposing just expedites the process.
    I wouldn't want to be tied at the hip to any school (other than the obvious ones - I mean I'd be all for a Tech/UT partnership). We want the freedom to go wherever is best for us. If ULL is part of that, fine. If not, fine.

It isn't like a Tech plus ULL deal is that much better than a Tech or ULL addition.

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post

If we could find a way to get out of the univiersity of louisiana system....that would be a great start. They want out just as bad as we do.....

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    I'm not opposed to being in a conference with ULL and I'm certainly not opposed to ULM dropping from D1. I just don't see us teaming up with ULL having any affect on it. What conference would that help us get into? Are you suggesting hitching our wagon to ULL to help get us somewhere?

My objections:
    1. ULL won't help us get into any conference.
    2. ULM isn't going to get into another conference.
    3. If we make ULL part of a package deal with us it could very well keep us out of a conference.
    4. If you are suggesting us joining the Sunbelt on the condition that ULM be kicked out then I am very opposed to that. ULM isn't the problem with the Sunbelt.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I wouldn't want to be tied at the hip to any school (other than the obvious ones - I mean I'd be all for a Tech/UT partnership). We want the freedom to go wherever is best for us. If ULL is part of that, fine. If not, fine.

It isn't like a Tech plus ULL deal is that much better than a Tech or ULL addition.
    Not so much hitching our wagon, but making a suggestion.

Let's just say Louisiana Tech is approached by any number of schools to join/create whatever regional non-AQ conference comes out of this round of realignment. After agreeing, lets say Dr. Reneau is asked "so, Dan, who else do we get in here?" I think it would be in Tech's best interest in this scenario to suggest ULL as a member, even if schools like, I don't know, MTSU are still on the board. In a nutshell, the combination of Tech/ULL in one conference with ULM in no conference (or some newly reformed/created super terrible Sun Belt) benefits Louisiana Tech much more than Tech in one conference and both ULL and ULM in the other. In the latter case, ULM survives because its still got its bro ULL to work with. In the former case, ULM has, who, Arkie State? F_U? ULM dies, Tech and ULL benefit, everyone's happy.

I'm not proposing Tech tell the Sun Belt to boot ULM and then agree to join, although even that would KO ULM athletics in D1A, which isn't a bad thing.

Champ domangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond repute domangue's Avatar

I don't know guys... I mean, after we kicked them out of the Independence Bowl, why would they ever trust us enough to work with us?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CChandler View Post
    In a nutshell, the combination of Tech/ULL in one conference with ULM in no conference (or some newly reformed/created super terrible Sun Belt) benefits Louisiana Tech much more than Tech in one conference and both ULL and ULM in the other. In the latter case, ULM survives because its still got its bro ULL to work with.

I don't worry much about ULM's continued existence in FBS. I know all the arguments about the limited fan base and media coverage and all that, and I'm not saying Tech wouldn't benefit from their demise. But it isn't like they are killing us in recruiting or anything.

And I don't know that a stronger ULL doesn't balance out having a weaker ULM. What we have now (in football terms) between the three schools is:

1.Tech
    Tie for last: ULX

In a new CUSAish group where Tech gets to choose (or throw in two cents) and we suggest "next strongest program" and poor ULL gets stuck in the Sun Beltish conference with ULM, it looks like this:

1. Tech

Which is a familar situation.

In a new CUSAish group where Tech gets to choose (or throw in two cents) and we suggest "ULL over possibly better programs" and poor ULM is all alone in a Sun Beltish conference (or just all alone), it looks like this:

1A. Tech
    1B. ULL
    3. ULM

Is this a better option? If ULL is the best choice, take ULL. If a MTSU or UNT looks like a better choice, roll with the better choice.
    Last edited by inudesu; 05-17-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

We need to take care of TECH issues before we need to worry about clinging on to USL. USL is not really a selling point to getting into a different conference or even starting a new AQ conference.

I do not mind playing as a non-conference game, I would much prefer that over SLU, UCA, Nicholls Freakin State......

I think by aligning ourselves to USL, we are only hurting our chances to improve ourselves.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I don't worry much about ULM's continued existence in FBS. I know all the arguments about the limited fan base and media coverage and all that, and I'm not saying Tech wouldn't benefit from their demise. But it isn't like they are killing us on recruiting or anything.

And I don't know that a stronger ULL doesn't balance out having a weaker ULM. What we have now (in football terms) between the three schools is:

1.Tech

In a new CUSAish group where Tech gets to choose (or throw in two cents) and we suggest "next strongest program" and poor ULL gets stuck in the Sun Beltish conference with ULM, it looks like this:

1. Tech

Which is a familar situation.

In a new CUSAish group where Tech gets to choose (or throw in two cents) and we suggest "ULL over possibly better programs" and poor ULM is all alone in a Sun Beltish conference (or just all alone), it looks like this:

1A. Tech
    1B. ULL
    3. ULM

Is this a better option? If ULL is the best choice, take ULL. If a MTSU or UNT looks like a better choice, roll with the better choice.
    Well said.

We have some separation from ULX right now. If we get into a better conference then we just seperate ourselves further. If we bring ULL along it just puts them on a level playing field.

For all of the ULL lurkers out there I do not mean to bash ULL. You can pretty much take any of my remarks and switch ULL and Tech and it still applies. Bringing Tech into a conference wouldn't really help ULL much.

+ Reply to Thread