+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Big Ten makes offer to 4 schools

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Re: Big Ten makes offer to 4 schools

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Jim Oakes did the job he was hired to do...clean up the Stovall mess. I give him credit for that and leading us into the WAC (great deal at the time).
    Despite all the bad of Jim he does get and A+ for getting us in the WAC.

Many of you may not remember but The News Star was making fun of him for even thinking about the WAC. They had a big picture of a bulldog floating in the water with a boat full of WAC members speeding away........and another boat with Wright and the sunbelt schools coming in to save us.....I have the picture somewhere....will try to find it.

Most people in the state, outside of Tech that knew anything about college athletics, were shocked he pulled off such a move.

Big Dog RGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the rough

Jim Oakes did a very good job - for the first half or less of his tenure. Then he completely lost focus on how to grow Tech and couldn't communicate a vision past a balanced budget.

So, a good hire? Yes. Did he stay too long? Absolutely!

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com...in-or-out.html

From the Chicago Tribune:

"So here's the question: If Beebe tells Nebraska and Missouri that they must decide by June 4, would that prompt the Big Ten to accelerate its stated timetable of 12-18 months?

Big Ten presidents and chancellors will meet June 6 at conference headquarters in Park Ridge. Will they review membership applications from schools and vote on the expansion candidates?"

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    It hurts, but for every dollar that the goose egg increases, that 5 mil goes down by an equal amount. This is the system we have to work within...until the rules are changed.
    I have written at length on here about my ideas for ways to increase student giving to LTAC. I believe this is essential, and for many reasons.

The biggest is that if you hook these kids while they are in school, they are MUCH more likely to continue to be passionate SUPPORTERS as alumni. (Cross-reference Joe Camel.) More to the point of your post, it gives us a way to try to make up some of what we miss out by being pigeon-holed into a false cap for our GF transfer. There is, as far as I know, NO limit to what could be raised from students through the foundation. The trick, though, is I'm not sure it could mandated, so it would have to come out of pocket.

I raised the issue a few years ago about whether the students could vote in a small fee that would be paid to an endowment through the foundation for a general fund for the university. (My passion for endowments is well documented on BB&B.) The legality of it was never clarified, but something like that and something similar for LTAC would be great. My concern, though, is like any other athletic fee, it would somehow be counted against the GF transfer.

In any event, I'd like to see a student LTAC program that is VERY interactive, with tons of perks for students who join. In my opinion, even if all it did was break even, it would still provide longterm payoffs as those students get hooked.

Big Dog Snapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to behold

In any event, I'd like to see a student LTAC program that is VERY interactive, with tons of perks for students who join. In my opinion, even if all it did was break even, it would still provide longterm payoffs as those students get hooked.

The program you envision has been at work at Clemson for decades. It has resulted in a very high rate of alumni and parent donation. It is a key reason that Clemson athletics has produced a premier national program while remaining a fairly small school. Since my son attended Clemson, I got hooked and remain today a financial supporter of that program.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    I have written at length on here about my ideas for ways to increase student giving to LTAC. I believe this is essential, and for many reasons.

The biggest is that if you hook these kids while they are in school, they are MUCH more likely to continue to be passionate SUPPORTERS as alumni. (Cross-reference Joe Camel.) More to the point of your post, it gives us a way to try to make up some of what we miss out by being pigeon-holed into a false cap for our GF transfer. There is, as far as I know, NO limit to what could be raised from students through the foundation. The trick, though, is I'm not sure it could mandated, so it would have to come out of pocket.

I raised the issue a few years ago about whether the students could vote in a small fee that would be paid to an endowment through the foundation for a general fund for the university. (My passion for endowments is well documented on BB&B.) The legality of it was never clarified, but something like that and something similar for LTAC would be great. My concern, though, is like any other athletic fee, it would somehow be counted against the GF transfer.

Good post and on track of what we should be attempting.

+ Reply to Thread