+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: La Tech in new 16 Team Conference?

Champ DQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to behold

Re: La Tech in new 16 Team Conference?

The up and coming "wildcard" team to pickup is UTSA. They are going to be a "player".

Champ garddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to behold

I am way over in Georgia so I don't know much from this distance but I think right now people have to be wary of the HYPE in UTSA's build up. They are virtually in the same position as ULL is to LSU where even though it is trying to compete it is completely overshadowed by UT Austin right down the road. It could become like UNT which has a huge student pop and is in an area with great potential but since they haven't had the competition (and for that matter been competitive) and have to work to get noticed then they still don't have a huge selling point to other conferences.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DQDawg View Post
    The up and coming "wildcard" team to pickup is UTSA. They are going to be a "player".
    Why do you think this?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

UTSA may have tons of potential...just like UNCC, UNCG, TSU, ect. The thing is, if this stuff starts moving in June, NONE of them are ready to be an all-sports member of an FBS conference.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by garddawg View Post
    I am way over in Georgia so I don't know much from this distance but I think right now people have to be wary of the HYPE in UTSA's build up. They are virtually in the same position as ULL is to LSU where even though it is trying to compete it is completely overshadowed by UT Austin right down the road. It could become like UNT which has a huge student pop and is in an area with great potential but since they haven't had the competition (and for that matter been competitive) and have to work to get noticed then they still don't have a huge selling point to other conferences.
    I agree 100%. But add that they are within a 4 1/2 -5 1/2 hour drive from UT, TA&M, SMU, Baylor, Houston, RICE and TCU. That's some tough company to compete with. I don't see it happening either.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

I live 5 miles from UTSA and fell that it will be the exact opposite! The school has zero support and attendance to their BB games can be counted in the tens of people (much worse than high school attendance where the family factor is high). UTSA is a commuter school and it will take several years to change that. Sure there will be a big surge in their first year due to a lot of press but that surge will be short lived due to what the scores are in their losses. San Antonio will not show up in force for a looser and the size of the Alamo Dome relative to the crowd will add to the embarrassment.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    I live 5 miles from UTSA and fell that it will be the exact opposite! The school has zero support and attendance to their BB games can be counted in the tens of people (much worse than high school attendance where the family factor is high). UTSA is a commuter school and it will take several years to change that. Sure there will be a big surge in their first year due to a lot of press but that surge will be short lived due to what the scores are in their losses. San Antonio will not show up in force for a looser and the size of the Alamo Dome relative to the crowd will add to the embarrassment.
    Totally agree....... They are going to have a very tough road and I just don't see them making any type of splash. I have visited their school and go to S.A. a lot for work. There is commuter school mentality there and I don't see them being able to break out of that. Students have the mentality that "I couldn't go to UT, so I am going to stay home and go to UTSA for a while".

Varsity Bulldog DAIQUIRIDAWG is a splendid one to beholdDAIQUIRIDAWG is a splendid one to beholdDAIQUIRIDAWG is a splendid one to beholdDAIQUIRIDAWG is a splendid one to beholdDAIQUIRIDAWG is a splendid one to beholdDAIQUIRIDAWG is a splendid one to beholdDAIQUIRIDAWG is a splendid one to beholdDAIQUIRIDAWG is a splendid one to beholdDAIQUIRIDAWG is a splendid one to beholdDAIQUIRIDAWG is a splendid one to beholdDAIQUIRIDAWG is a splendid one to behold

BVD mentioned to me yesterday that UTSA is a serious competitor of LA Tech for a Conf USA spot.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DAIQUIRIDAWG View Post
    BVD mentioned to me yesterday that UTSA is a serious competitor of LA Tech for a Conf USA spot.
    They have a $22 million athletic budget and are based in a huge city. That math makes them a candidate for the CUSA espically if UTEP stayed in the conference.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DAIQUIRIDAWG View Post
    Well, CUSA has made some mistakes in the past, so I am not saying that they won't do it again. HOWEVER, it would be a huge mistake.

+ Reply to Thread