+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech's biggest obstacles to CUSA

Varsity Bulldog rcajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Tech's biggest obstacles to CUSA

I wish you guys the best and I would like to see the Cajuns in that number but I see two possible obstacles to Tech getting into CUSA. That is of course the market but I'm not sure in the new CUSA if that would be such a big obstacle. Also I see Tulane fighting any other Louisiana school tooth and nail.

The Cajuns biggest problems is the lack of vision or direction from the admn and the fact we suck in almost all sports.
    Last edited by rcajun90; 05-11-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Re: Tech's biggest obstacles to CUSA

Tulane actually voted for us last time, and after Hurricane Katrina, a lot of students from Tulane came to the La. Tech campus and stayed in dorms. Dr. Reneau (our president) and the Tulane prez became good friends during that time, from what I have been told. I think Tulane might vote for us because of that, and because we are so geographically separated. But, your point is well taken that they might want to keep other La. schools out of CUSA.

Our problem last time was the AD at Southern Miss (Giannini) who was the former AD at ULM (formerly NLU). He was mad at us for not playing them years ago, and he politicked to keep us out. I think our chances are much better this time because of the people we have working on the deal, and because the votes have changed a little in CUSA.

Champ dchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to all dchi72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcajun90 View Post
    I wish you guys the best and I would like to see the Cajuns in that number but I see two possible obstacles to Tech getting into CUSA. That is of course the market but I'm not sure in the new CUSA if that would be such a big obstacle. Also I see Tulane fighting any other Louisiana school tooth and nail.

The Cajuns biggest problems is the lack of vision or direction from the admn and the fact we suck in almost all sports.

Market is definitely a drawback.

Tulane backed our entrance last time.

Our biggest drawback was lack of direction, budget and overall apathy in the AD department.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

rcajun90:

Straydawg pointed out Tech's relationship with Tulane. I actually think they will support us again. You also brought up Tech's market as being an obstacle. That might have been true back in 2004. But maybe not this time around.

Market really only matters if it translates into viewers and moves TV numbers. Tech has had enough national television games in the past few years to have a good idea of what type of viewership we could bring to the table.

In fact, Tech has outperformed its market. We might bring as much if not more from a TV standpoint than some of our competition for potential CUSA openings. Some of those schools have little to no following in those larger markets. See this article.

http://www.neworleans.com/index.php?...837&Itemid=578

LA Tech's Sept. 30 game against Hawai'i, a game in which the Bulldogs dominated in a 27-6 win, close to a million people tuned in as the game recorded a 0.99 share on ESPN2, more viewers than Major League Baseball's AL Central race being broadcasted simultaneously on ESPN.

Varsity Bulldog rcajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    rcajun90:

Straydawg pointed out Tech's relationship with Tulane. I actually think they will support us again. You also brought up Tech's market as being an obstacle. That might have been true back in 2004. But maybe not this time around.

Market really only matters if it translates into viewers and moves TV numbers. Tech has had enough national television games in the past few years to have a good idea of what type of viewership we could bring to the table.

In fact, Tech has outperformed its market. We might bring as much if not more from a TV standpoint than some of our competition for potential CUSA openings. Some of those schools have little to no following in those larger markets. See this article.

LA Tech's Sept. 30 game against Hawai'i, a game in which the Bulldogs dominated in a 27-6 win, close to a million people tuned in as the game recorded a 0.99 share on ESPN2, more viewers than Major League Baseball's AL Central race being broadcasted simultaneously on ESPN.
    I'm really surprised about Tulane. I didn't know that. CUSA today isn't what it was 10 years ago. I don't see market as being as big of an obstacle as it might have been in the past. As much as my hardheaded fellow Cajuns fans can be, the WAC was a good move for Tech. Good Luck! I don't think we are even in the rumor mix but the way we have ran our sports departments we don't deserve to be.

Champ okiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud of

If I was Tulane and had choice between Tech and ULL I would pick Tech for 2 reasons:

1. Tech is in N. LA - an entirely different part of the state
    2. Tech is rated a little better as a school

But I'm not Tulane and who knows what will happen - good luck to the Cajuns and I hope that you can get away from ULM into a new conference. The warbirds must be really sweating things now...

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

rcajun90:

Was that you that called in to the 97.7 yesterday with those stats? Good info.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

rcajun90:

Lets hope that our AD and his staff have a good handle on those numbers and a persuasive argument for our TV marketability for the CUSA people.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ DQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    Lets hope that our AD and his staff have a good handle on those numbers and a persuasive argument for our TV marketability for the CUSA people.
    I'm predicting that our AD and his staff are very, very busy and active right now. We're in better hands than we've been in in 20+ years!!!

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

As most of you folks know I dont sugar coat stuff and critical of Tech when I see fit. That said I will give the administration credit they have been very pro active in trying to get into CUSA. I believe they have laid all the cards out on the table to the conference commish and its CUSA or bust...

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrew View Post
    As most of you folks know I dont sugar coat stuff and critical of Tech when I see fit. That said I will give the administration credit they have been very pro active in trying to get into CUSA. I believe they have laid all the cards out on the table to the conference commish and its CUSA or bust...
    Good thing SMU, Rice, and Tulane are in Coosa. If they weren't Dr. Reneau couldn't care less about any of this, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. Dude is hell bent on being an academic powerhouse, and knows that he needs to be associated with these schools in this region to do so. You have to give him props for that.

I have no doubt that he's trying his hardest, because this is right up his alley.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Didn't our athletic program recently win something like the Prism Award for being the best in sports management?

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrew View Post
    Like I have posted eslewhere, Dr. Reneau is the key. If his support is only skin level and we don't success, bye bye American Pie.

DVD knows what he is doing. He may not be a flashy as DD, or have the power DD had here, and that may be our hurdle. That is why Dr. Dan is key. He must be a BULLDOG!

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CChandler View Post
    Good thing SMU, Rice, and Tulane are in Coosa. If they weren't Dr. Reneau couldn't care less about any of this, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. Dude is hell bent on being an academic powerhouse, and knows that he needs to be associated with these schools in this region to do so. You have to give him props for that.
    I know we have made great strides in academics and would guess we are the clear #2 in the state to LSU (public schools).......but how do we stack up against schools like Rice, SMU and Tulane when comparing academics? Have we closed the gap that much?

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post
    I know we have made great strides in academics and would guess we are the clear #2 in the state to LSU (public schools).......but how do we stack up against schools like Rice, SMU and Tulane when comparing academics? Have we closed the gap that much?
    We've moved up from National Research University Tier 4 to Tier 3...our running buddies would be like Ole Miss, M-State, etc. Good company, but Rice, SMU and Tulane are ALL like top 20/25 in the country. Still a significant gap...

+ Reply to Thread