+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nonAQ irrelevance

Big Dog NavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to all

nonAQ irrelevance

There has been so much talk on the boards about massive conference realignment. If these super-conferences come into being, think of the irrelevance that will be place on the nonAQs.

Right now, most people say things like, "who cares if X (nonAQ) goes undefeated, Y won the SEC." Fast forward and expand that to the current situation, if some team wins an expanded Big Ten or expanded SEC, will anyone care what happens in a nonAQ conference?

Although conference movement for tech gets me excited because I could potentially go to more games as a fan, it worries me that a super-nonAQ conference or a nonAQ conference in general will be dismissed by the national media on a larger scale, regardless of who in it goes undefeated, if these AQ expansions take place with us on the outside. (long sentence) Think about the long term implications for Tech athletics.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Re: nonAQ irrelevance

I share your concern to some extent. The exclusion of non-aq schools is going to be easier after the rise of the superconferences.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by NavyBulldog1 View Post
    There has been so much talk on the boards about massive conference realignment. If these super-conferences come into being, think of the irrelevance that will be place on the nonAQs.

Right now, most people say things like, "who cares if X (nonAQ) goes undefeated, Y won the SEC." Fast forward and expand that to the current situation, if some team wins an expanded Big Ten or expanded SEC, will anyone care what happens in a nonAQ conference?

Although conference movement for tech gets me excited because I could potentially go to more games as a fan, it worries me that a super-nonAQ conference or a nonAQ conference in general will be dismissed by the national media on a larger scale, regardless of who in it goes undefeated, if these AQ expansions take place with us on the outside. (long sentence) Think about the long term implications for Tech athletics.
    There is a lot of truth to that and it is and should be scary to all of us. If 16 team conferences for it will effectively be the same as kicking us to FCS status. The chances of us landing in a AQ conference is between slim and none. We still have to do everything in our power to make it into the best conference we can.

The other way of looking at it is with fewer conferences it might be easier to make sure all of the conferences get a spot in any future playoff systems. Then it doesn't matter as much that we are in a weaker conference.

If the Big 12 got decimated I could see us ending up there with some of the C-USA schools. Keeping the AQ status would be next to impossible probably though. It would probably become the Big East or Mountain West of that system. The one that is always on the edge one way or the the other. The main thing is we just need to do everything we can to improve our situation.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been living outside the USA? It's been like that for a while.

Champ garddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to behold

You're right about that fear. But I think that is why it is so important to get into C-USA or some form similar with schools that are tight knit and respectable enough to generate some interest from a television standpoint. The non-AQ schools in a tight knit but fertile television area will get us something versus a conference that is spread out. I still believe that one factor that helps us AND yes the outsiders and envyers will deny(which proves the point) is that when we beat teams, it drives them nuts a bit more than other teams beating them. Its something no one else will admit about us but over the years I don't know of another team in our area other than say USM that people are compelled to pay attention to when they play them.

OK there, I said it.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    I share your concern to some extent. The exclusion of non-aq schools is going to be easier after the rise of the superconferences.

Are there any potential antitrust implications that the nonAQ schools could try to argue against the super conferences?

Champ garddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    Are there any potential antitrust implications that the nonAQ schools could try to argue against the super conferences?
    I personally think that issue could easily be raised for a couple of reasons which includes possibly some teams currently in the AQ's:

1. If certain programs that are flagship state programs like New Mexico, Wyoming, BYU (I know its private but you know why I include it), Iowa State, the Kansas's etc..., I could see their reps in Washington making some rumblings. (I can't believe I am saying I want the gov't to interfere in something else)

2. I do think that they are getting dangerously close to blurring the line in the theory that a college football player is still purely a college athlete that does not deserve compensation beyond the scholarship that they get.

3. The performance of teams like Boise, Houston, TCU, and others which can also kind of include Butler in the BB tournament I think makes a strong case that there needs to continue to be certain inroads to competing.

I'm just hypothisizing though.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    Obama will get involved. He seems to have too much free time. Just watch!

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Once they go to super conferences, then those conferences will break from the NCAA for football and form their own organization. They will set up the rules and end up paying players some sort of assistance or stipend. The only way the NCAA could possibly stop them is to threaten to kick them out in the other sports as well and I do not see the NCAA having the backbone to do that. The NCAA is not going to kill their cash cow in the NCAA basketball tourney by not allowing the Dukes, North Carolinas, Michigan States, and such to play. The super conferences would just set up their own 32 team tourney and play for their own national title. Easy to do if there are only 4-5 conferences to worry about. Everyone else can go to heck.

Once the super conferences come, it will be the end of college football as we know it today, in more ways than one.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

We're still relevant, the "big boys" will never give up their 3 OOC home games.

Big Dog NavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to allNavyBulldog1 is a name known to all

First and foremost, Im not saying that we are irrelevant. I want nothing more than for Tech to excel. I just hope that in addition to fighting for a better conference, we are also taking a few swings for the fence to try and slip into prime time. I simply dont want to solely focus on getting into a conference that is geographically sound but lacks competition. I have confidence in BVV is thinking big time, as the program seems to be making so many changes in that direction.

PS - I do live in the USA... just wanted to discuss the other side of the expansion story, that's all.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

First and foremost, Im not saying that we are irrelevant. I want nothing more than for Tech to excel. I just hope that in addition to fighting for a better conference, we are also taking a few swings for the fence to try and slip into prime time. I simply dont want to solely focus on getting into a conference that is geographically sound but lacks competition. I have confidence in BVV is thinking big time, as the program seems to be making so many changes in that direction.

PS - I do live in the USA... just wanted to discuss the other side of the expansion story, that's all.
    I totally agree. We should be aiming for the best in this shake-up.

As for the Super Conferences breaking from the NCAA, I am not sure that they will. I think they will try to strike a deal first with the NCAA. They don't want to JUST play each other. Also, there would be a massive overhaul with the government very involved (will slow things down considerably or stop them) if they go this route.

That doesn't mean that the bcs doesn't get stronger - I just think the schools will remain NCAA. Plus, the NCAA doesn't want to lose them in other sports and the other side of the equation is the same - they don't want to lose the NCAA in other sports. The NCAA might have the upper hand. I see negotiations, not a complete split.

Varsity Bulldog dawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nice dawg419's Avatar

Seems to me that if the super conferences were to break away from the NCAA, it would make the arguments for anti trust that much stronger. The only reason the Justice Dept and the government are not banging on them now is the NCAA and the "special feeling" that gives to college football. Take the NCAA away and I think anti trust litigation is almost assured.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg419 View Post
    Seems to me that if the super conferences were to break away from the NCAA, it would make the arguments for anti trust that much stronger. The only reason the Justice Dept and the government are not banging on them now is the NCAA and the "special feeling" that gives to college football. Take the NCAA away and I think anti trust litigation is almost assured.
    Agreed........ The only thing that would help them is if they include a university from each state that has no AQ team. That would lessen the blow, because those are the Senators and Congressmen to most likely take up the fight.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TECH88 View Post
    We're still relevant, the "big boys" will never give up their 3 OOC home games.

Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner.

These large programs have inflated athletic budgets. Gate money from bodybag games provides the necessary funds to keep it going. If there were a true 6 Home 6 Away schedule, they would lose a lot of money.

If the non-BCS schools agreed collectively to avoid bodybag games and stick to regional matches, the BCS would change its tune quite rapidly. They need Non-AQ schools, but won't admit it.

+ Reply to Thread