+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Things that bother you on Campus

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: Things that bother you on Campus

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Last time I was on campus the Student Union (center) looked horrible. Looks dingy, dated...well, it is dated.
    The student center is the same, which it's even more outdated now than you remember.

We are far below our peers (and below schools that are beneath us) as far as our student center goes.

We either need to build a brand new student center or completely renovate the current structure.

This should be a top priority.

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

And the last time I was in there 5-6 years ago, I thought it looked nice and remodeled and up to date. Now, that's coming from someone from back in the day and up until it's last "remodel" had been the same as it was when it was built. So to me it is already somewhat up to date considering what it was when I was there and many years thereafter. I'm sure it may be beginning to look outdated, but it cracks me up when the "young ones" complain about some things--if they only knew how it really was once upon a time they'd realize how good they do have it. (And I'm not against a remodel.)

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CutiePie72 View Post
    And the last time I was in there 5-6 years ago, I thought it looked nice and remodeled and up to date. Now, that's coming from someone from back in the day and up until it's last "remodel" had been the same as it was when it was built. So to me it is already somewhat up to date considering what it was when I was there and many years thereafter. I'm sure it may be beginning to look outdated, but it cracks me up when the "young ones" complain about some things--if they only knew how it really was once upon a time they'd realize how good they do have it. (And I'm not against a remodel.)
    Have you been to student unions at other schools recently?

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

CutiePie:
    I agree with you in that today’s students have it a lot better. But that’s true of every generation. It’s also true that, outside of the Main Floor, very little work has been done to the Student Center since it was remodeled from 1986-88 (at least that was the case the last time I walked through there a couple of years ago). In fact, much of the design work was completed in the late 70s. It is very dated.

At a time when we have to compete for students, it can be a negative. Especially in trying to recruit students from Texas high schools that have very good facilities.

Above all else, the one thing that should be done with that facility in the short term is to gut and renovate the restrooms on at least the first floor. Most high schools students who visit the campus for orientation or with their parents to tour the campus walk through the Student Center at some point. Having “dated” facilities is one thing. Having something that most people would consider to be unacceptable as the first impression a student receives while at Tech is something else.

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

Just the one down the interstate since they remodeled, and that doesn't count, I know. And next time I'm in BR I want to tour the remodeled one there that hadn't been touched since I went in 1967 to yearbook leadership conference. Places I had taken pictures of back then looked the very same the last time I was there for a Tech game.

And, no, I'm not suggesting the students be subjected to a rundown 1970's student center. I just find it amusing that they all want top-of-the-line everything--from dorms/apartments, to every other thing on campus. And my kids were the same way, so I do understand that. Just a sign of the times.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Have you been to student unions at other schools recently?
    It is amazing to see some of our competition, isn't it! In the past ten years, LSU's students, by a narrow margin, defeated a ballot initiative that would have imposed a student fee to renovate and expand their student union.

The LSU Board of Supervisors thought it was so important to have the newer facilities that they imposed the fee, going against the student vote.

Just the one down the interstate since they remodeled, and that doesn't count, I know. And next time I'm in BR I want to tour the remodeled one there that hadn't been touched since I went in 1967 to yearbook leadership conference. Places I had taken pictures of back then looked the very same the last time I was there for a Tech game.

And, no, I'm not suggesting the students be subjected to a rundown 1970's student center. I just find it amusing that they all want top-of-the-line everything--from dorms/apartments, to every other thing on campus. And my kids were the same way, so I do understand that. Just a sign of the times.
    CutiPie you posted right before I did. The new LSU union is impressive. I am also anxious to see what ULL's new union is going to look like. They are about to spend $40 million plus on an expansion and renovation.

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

The area from the Maintenance building to the grass field next to and including Harris Hall to the dumpster in between Adams Hall Classroom and Aswell -this whole area needs a facelift. Located across the street from the new beautiful Davison and Biomedical Engineering buildings along with Spirit Park, the buildings and objects previously listed need to have a facelift.

the Maintenance building is horrible. The chainlink fence around the facility isn't inviting at all, the windows are grimy and discolored, and the whole building looks rundown. It doesnt seem to be that hard to install iron fencing similar to whats at the football stadium to replace the chain link fence. And could they not replace the windows and try to keep the building looking respectable?

Harris hall (residential life building) and the empty field on the corner next to it need something to happen to them. They're eyesores for an area that is heavily seen by everyone on their way to Tolliver Hall and the student center, probably the two busiest buildings on campus. They especially look bad with the new buildings across the street, plus Harris seems too small to hold the Residential life department.

And then that dumpster is the worst. Driving from California in between Davison and Aswell, its straight in front of the driver's view the whole time and its pretty horrendous. Is there no better spot to put it or at least put a walled structure around it?

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Bringing back an old thread.

Some things I noticed from the last game in Ruston...

1. The red Louisiana Tech banner on the railroad bridge is fading. Red pigment fades quickly in the sun. I think it's needs to be replaced with a different color (blue or white).
    2. Sidewalk needs to be built on Alabama/Tech drive to downtown on the new dorm side. It's not very pedestrian friendly. Many people have to walk on the sloped grassy area. It's unsafe.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

There are sidewalks on both sides of Alabama from Alabama/Tech Dr to downtown. Steps could be added from the sidewalk to the dorms because many people just walk down the slope instead of out towards the sorority houses then back.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    There are sidewalks on both sides of Alabama from Alabama/Tech Dr to downtown. Steps could be added from the sidewalk to the dorms because many people just walk down the slope instead of out towards the sorority houses then back.
    Not on the side by the new dorms. There's no sidewalk in front of the Sorority houses either. Do a google street view.

Also...regarding the other side, the sidewalk sorta ends by the Association of Baptist Student

+ Reply to Thread