+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Closing 8 of 14 Louisiana universities?

Varsity Bulldog SpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant future

Closing 8 of 14 Louisiana universities?

Sorry if this is on the wrong board or has already been posted, but I saw this and wondered if you guys thought this could really happen?

"One such possibility included the closure of eight of the state’s 14 public universities as a means to reduce state funding of college costs by 30 percent, or about $300 million.

That scenario would involve shuttering Nicholls State University, McNeese State University, Southern University at New Orleans, LSU at Alexandria, LSU at Shreveport, the University of Louisiana at Monroe, Grambling State University and Northwestern State University."

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/93595549.html

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

Re: Closing 8 of 14 Louisiana universities?

I was actually talking about this in CTH with some friends and my Anatomy & Phys professor walked by and she thinks they wont close the schools, but the 300 million cut is for real.

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't this help the state (and La Tech)? I'm all for it. It's like having 10 Universities in Dallas/Ft Worth (the Louisiana population). Ridiculous!

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    I was actually talking about this in CTH with some friends and my Anatomy & Phys professor walked by and she thinks they wont close the schools, but the 300 million cut is for real.
    This boat is real --

Champ SixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of light

so, there are 14 schools in-state?

ULS System:
    La Tech
    Grambling
    ULM
    ULL
    SE LA
    Nicholls
    McNeese
    Northwestern

LSU System:
    LSU-BR
    LSU-A
    LSU-S
    UNO

Southern

I can only think of 13. Are we supposed to be counting LSU-Eunice, or something?

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

We have been talking about it on another thread. I still don't think the Louisiana Government has the guts to do it, but MAN I wish they would! It would solve a lot of problems - just one of which is the budget.

Tech would be THE University in North Louisiana with no competition for students or athletics. All I ask is that they, also, give us the Medical School.

However, like I stated, these communities will fight until they win to keep their schools open and sucking up money.

Champ odysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the rough

What would happen to the LSU hospital in Shreveport or the Pharmacy school in Monroe? If they do decide to close LSUS and ULM these could be perfect areas of expansion for Tech.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by SixWings View Post

ULS System:
    La Tech
    Grambling
    ULM
    ULL
    SE LA
    Nicholls
    McNeese
    Northwestern

LSU System:
    LSU-BR
    LSU-A
    LSU-S
    UNO

Southern

I can only think of 13. Are we supposed to be counting LSU-Eunice, or something?
    You are correct, it is probably lsue......

Champ odysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the rough

ULS System:
    La Tech
    Grambling
    ULM
    ULL
    SE LA
    Nicholls
    McNeese
    Northwestern

LSU System:
    LSU-BR
    LSU-A
    LSU-S
    UNO

Southern

Southern University of New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    What would happen to the LSU hospital in Shreveport or the Pharmacy school in Monroe? If they do decide to close LSUS and ULM these could be perfect areas of expansion for Tech.
    They couldn't do it without merging some of the programs unique to those schools. I would imagine a main campus at Tech with satellite campuses in Monroe, Shreveport, and Nac. Slowly moving some of those programs to the main campus.

The students would need to merged into the Tech and ULL systems, as well. With the instructors and facilities at the other locations, it could be done over time, as we build the capacity here - except keeping the Medical School in Shreveport.

Ahhhhhhhh Pipe dreams, though....... UNO's professors got 1 year warnings already, but that was probably just for show.

Champ SixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of light

I was wondering if it might be one of the Southerns.

I stumbled upon Southern of Shreveport once when I was working for KCS. Until that point, I didn't know it existed.

I was confused.

I went there and it is so closely tied to Southern, it is really the same school. Could be them or lsu Eunice. So, we have 15. ughghgh

SUNO was only about 4000 in population in the early 90's. Don't know what it is now after Katrina did a big number on it.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

There's also Southern-New Orleans and Southern-Shreveport.

There's too much opposition from all the reps from the affected areas.

I think we could only realistically shut down 1 or 2 campuses, and that's by forcing everybody else to go along with it for their own survival. Kind of like deciding who to eat when a group is trapped in an avalanche.

I was wondering if it might be one of the Southerns.

I stumbled upon Southern of Shreveport once when I was working for KCS. Until that point, I didn't know it existed.

I was confused.
    So, there is #16. Our Legislature didn't know 2 others existed either.

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    There's also Southern-New Orleans and Southern-Shreveport.

There's too much opposition from all the reps from the affected areas.

I think we could only realistically shut down 1 or 2 campuses, and that's by forcing everybody else to go along with it for their own survival. Kind of like deciding who to eat when a group is trapped in an avalanche.
    I vote ulm and lsu Shreveport. Merge them with Tech and take the lsu Med School.

+ Reply to Thread