+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some advice

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

Need some advice

After 3 faithful years, my laptop is dead. So I'm in the market for a new one. I've never had an Apple, but I have an iPhone and a few family members have a macbook, so I'm leaning towards the macbook. So I have a few questions:

1) Anyone have a macbook/macbook pro?
    a) Which model?
    b) How's the overall experience?
    c) Have you heard anything about new models coming out? (I'm looking to buy this summer)
    d) I'm a pre-med major, don't require any software or high-power features, what about an iPad?
    2) Anyone have a another brand?
    a) What brand?
    b) How's the customer service?
    c) How long have you had it

Any input at all is appreciated!

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Re: Need some advice

I'm not a Mac person, but I did recently purchase a laptop. I got an HP Pavilion with an Intel i5 processor. These new processors are quite an improvement over the older Core2Duo (which is what Macbooks have been running). I have heard that the newest (like last week new) Macbooks have i-series processors. Look for something with an i5 or an i7. Don't waste your time with the i3 line.

The i5 is a dual core processor and the i7 is a quad core processor. They are both super fast, and have automatic scaling.

If you skip the Mac experiment, I highly recommend the HP Pavilion. I've been really happy with mine. Again, if you go this route, look for an i5 or i7 processor.

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    After 3 faithful years, my laptop is dead. So I'm in the market for a new one. I've never had an Apple, but I have an iPhone and a few family members have a macbook, so I'm leaning towards the macbook. So I have a few questions:

a) Which model?
    c) Have you heard anything about new models coming out? (I'm looking to buy this summer)
    d) I'm a pre-med major, don't require any software or high-power features, what about an iPad?
    a) What brand?

I have a 15" MacBook Pro. It is great! I haven't checked out the new models but they were just released. http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Mac's cost more, but are better quality and rarely crash. They cost about as much as a business grade computer. Mac doesn't make different grades of computers like PC manufacturers. Go to HP or Dell and check out the difference between their home models and business models. Then compare the business models to the Mac.

It really depends on what you will be using it for. Mac does well with word processing, graphics programs, video editing, etc. You can sync it perfectly with your iPhone. If you want something that will run a database program like Microsoft Access then get a PC. If you are mostly using it for internet and email, and minor school work, I'd go with a Mac.

An iPad is just a big iPhone. You can surf the web, listen to music, and play apps. Mac customer service has been great for me. I've only called a couple of times and they have helped with any problems, even if it's just not knowing how to change a setting on the computer... I did pay for extended coverage.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I love my mac book. You should know that if you get into med school, they are going to require you to buy a specific computer and it's NOT likely that it'll be a mac. Don't know how close you are and if waiting is an option. I got a macbook because I couldn't afford any extended service stuff and I knew I wouldn't need it with a mac...and I didn't. I love it. Mine is old, but it's new enough to have the intel processor. I've been very pleased and it is still going strong (purchased in 2006).
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firedog View Post
    I have a 15" MacBook Pro. It is great! I haven't checked out the new models but they were just released. http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Mac's cost more, but are better quality and rarely crash. They cost about as much as a business grade computer. Mac doesn't make different grades of computers like PC manufacturers. Go to HP or Dell and check out the difference between their home models and business models. Then compare the business models to the Mac.

It really depends on what you will be using it for. Mac does well with word processing, graphics programs, video editing, etc. You can sync it perfectly with your iPhone. If you want something that will run a database program like Microsoft Access then get a PC. If you are mostly using it for internet and email, and minor school work, I'd go with a Mac.

An iPad is just a big iPhone. You can surf the web, listen to music, and play apps. Mac customer service has been great for me. I've only called a couple of times and they have helped with any problems, even if it's just not knowing how to change a setting on the computer... I did pay for extended coverage.
    I'd like to see some numbers on that highlighted statement. This is popular folklore, but based on my anecdotal experience it is no longer true. There is, however, wide variety in the quality of laptop brands, but it's not like Apple is using top-of-the-line components for its Macbooks.

I would contend that if you know what you are doing you can get a much better computer, in terms of quality and performance, for less money than a Macbook. I haven't done this with the laptops, but I know for a fact you can build a PC with the same hardware (except things like the proprietary connectors, etc.) cheaper than the Mac version.

Anyway, I'm not trying to knock Macs, they are good computers. But the fact is that the ease-of-use gap has closed to basically nothing, and you can do as well or better on quality for the money. Macs are ultimately status symbols more than computers. Much like Nike "running" shoes.

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post

a) Which model?
    a) What brand?

Recently bought a Toshiba Satellite with the I5 chip and 64-bit windows 7. The laptop has really good and loud speakers. Office Depot has a deal going on with Toshiba and the prices are really good. I've had it for about 2 months and it is fast and reliable. Glad I bought it. So recommend that you check out Office Depot before you buy.

Disclaimer: No financial position in Office Depot or Toshiba.

PS. I doubt that I will ever buy another Apple. Price is too high.

"All roads lead to Putin" -- Thomas Jefferson

Varsity Bulldog Iceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the rough

Big Grin Re: Need some advice

Check out newegg.com, you can find just about anything you want, except a mac. LOL

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

Thanks for the info y'all.

+ Reply to Thread