+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: CUSA Expansion targets: Temple, Tech, TCU

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Re: CUSA Expansion targets: Temple, Tech, TCU

I think there's a larger chance of TCU landing in the Big 12 than going back down to CUSA.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    I think there's a larger chance of TCU landing in the Big 12 than going back down to CUSA.
    Agreed. However, the chances of either are negligible. I have moved 180 degrees on TCU and the Big XII. Used to think they would be in. Now, I think they have almost no shot.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    Agreed. However, the chances of either are negligible. I have moved 180 degrees on TCU and the Big XII. Used to think they would be in. Now, I think they have almost no shot.
    All depends on what the B12 is........... If it is without Texas, A&M, etc...., they have a chance. Don't know if it will be AQ if there is too much change, though.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Our Administration did not sell Shreveport, Monroe, and ElDorado as our market. They didn't try. It was Joakes.

CUSA had consistently gone after market (or what they THOUGHT was market). They took the our bottom dwellers in performance from the WAC because of their market - SMU anyone? Problem is that SMU did not and will never deliver Dallas. We outdraw SMU and have even outnumbered them in their own stadium. The TV sets they deliver are some alumni and a few others. I bet we outdraw the number of TV sets than many CUSA teams.

I agree. Our biggest problem with cusa is their perception of who we are. We are really haunted by the ghosts of Christmas past. I guess we'll find out soon enough if we've done enough to change the perception.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by oledawg66 View Post
    I agree. Our biggest problem with cusa is their perception of who we are. We are really haunted by the ghosts of Christmas past. I guess we'll find out soon enough if we've done enough to change the perception.
    I agree......... I do think we have done a LOT, though. We have created separation from the belt and that was HUGE. The last time around, even though we were in the WAC, we had that perception. That is gone now (well, it is gone for most people outside of a few of our own fans' minds :icon_wink. Most people around the country know our name and know that we are on the rise.

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrew View Post
    I dont see TCU jumping from one mid major conference to another. I think it comes down to Tech and Temple.

Agree, TCU already left CUSA for MWC back when CUSA lost some bigger schools and went down in stature.

Varsity Bulldog DustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to all

To me, this "large market" vs. "small market" stuff is very misleading when it comes to college football. In reality, a given program's market has very little to do with how many bodies live within a certain radius of the football stadium. Cases in point: Rice and Auburn. Rice is located smack in the middle of the fourth largest city in the United States, yet very few in that "market" actually notice or care - thus, Rice is actually a "small market" team and apparently nothing is really going to change that. Now think of Auburn. They are located in Auburn/Opelika, AL - with a combined population of only 70,000 (less than Monroe/West Monroe). So they are a "small market" team, Right? No, they actually have a very large market. They key is that they draw a great deal of interest from their state and their region of the United States. (Even Alabama fans will watch Auburn on TV so they can cheer for the opposition). Therefore, they are actually a "large market" team.

While I am not comparing Tech's current market with that of Auburn, I am saying that Tech actually has a MUCH larger current, and potential, market than even our own administration has seemed to understand and capitalize upon over the years. The TV statistics have already proven that there is a large market for interest in Tech football. We are a statewide university - always have been - with a storied football program that is over a century old. The "Louisiana Tech" logo and brand is recognized all over the United States, thus we never have to explain who we are - college fans know who we are. When we are on TV, even the "casual" football from Louisiana will be at least somewhat interested in the game. This is also true for the radius of the surrounding states - and depending upon the opponent and magnitude of the game - the rest of the country as well. Therefore, as we continue to improve our "product" on the field, we are going to more fully realize the current reaches of our program's market. Moreover, we will continue to increase that share.

Louisiana Tech is a "large market" program.

Quote Originally Posted by DustyDog View Post
    To me, this "large market" vs. "small market" stuff is very misleading when it comes to college football. In reality, a given program's market has very little to do with how many bodies live within a certain radius of the football stadium. Cases in point: Rice and Auburn. Rice is located smack in the middle of the fourth largest city in the United States, yet very few in that "market" actually notice or care - thus, Rice is actually a "small market" team and apparently nothing is really going to change that. Now think of Auburn. They are located in Auburn/Opelika, AL - with a combined population of only 70,000 (less than Monroe/West Monroe). So they are a "small market" team, Right? No, they actually have a very large market. They key is that they draw a great deal of interest from their state and their region of the United States. (Even Alabama fans will watch Auburn on TV so they can cheer for the opposition). Therefore, they are actually a "large market" team.

While I am not comparing Tech's current market with that of Auburn, I am saying that Tech actually has a MUCH larger current, and potential, market than even our own administration has seemed to understand and capitalize upon over the years. The TV statistics have already proven that there is a large market for interest in Tech football. We are a statewide university - always have been - with a storied football program that is over a century old. The "Louisiana Tech" logo and brand is recognized all over the United States, thus we never have to explain who we are - college fans know who we are. When we are on TV, even the "casual" football from Louisiana will be at least somewhat interested in the game. This is also true for the radius of the surrounding states - and depending upon the opponent and magnitude of the game - the rest of the country as well. Therefore, as we continue to improve our "product" on the field, we are going to more fully realize the current reaches of our program's market. Moreover, we will continue to increase that share.

Excellent point and post.........

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    We averaged 20K this year. Not outstanding but respectable for our record and schedule. We will probably be somewhere between 22K and 25K this year...

Agree on the projected attendance for this year, with a fair chance to averaging 25K+. I think we stand a decent chance of pulling 30K for either Navy or USM. We beat A&M and we sell out one of those, if not both.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    All depends on what the B12 is........... If it is without Texas, A&M, etc...., they have a chance. Don't know if it will be AQ if there is too much change, though.
    The Big XII South is not breaking up. It is nonsense.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Great post, DustyDog.

I think one of the "informal" statistics that people look at when they talk about markets is not only TV sets, but tickets sold and fans who will travel to away games. For Tech, this is a stat that could be used against us if someone like Giannini wanted to. They could say that we "historically" don't travel well because we don't take thousands of people to away games. Never mind that our away games are mostly in the Pacific time zone (or farther). Getting into a more regional conference would do wonders for Tech footbal, not only because we would be seen as a more marketable team, but also because thousands of our fans to go to ALL of our games. That would lead to increased fan support, which would lead to increased ticket sales at home games.

You are right that we are a much more marketable team than people realize. I just home Mr. Van de Velde and Dr. Reneau are prepared for the arguments against us. Hopefully they are already lobbying with their peers in CUSA or any other league they have their eyes on. They need to counter the "market" argument with the TV stats similar to those that WWDog has posted, and they need to counter the "travel" stats by showing how many tickets we have sold to games in Baton Rouge, New Orleans (Tulane), and our old E-WAC friends at SMU, Rice, and Tulsa.

Preperation is key for us.

Varsity Bulldog ETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of light

I think TCU has a better chance at Big East than Big 12 or CUSA

We shall see

Champ garddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to beholdgarddawg is a splendid one to behold

I wonder if the reason why they mention Temple and even going to 16 teams is an effort to keep the Eastern Teams happier since its no secret Marshall, ECU, and UCF feel like their side is far flung and feel little rivalry with the Texas schools. We might hear speculation of MAC, MTSU and other teams. And of course, C-USA doesn't know what teams they will be left with when realignment happens.

Don't get me wrong, I still think our chances are good but I also think we could be part of a group entry.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

After reading that I wish you were at least an assistant AD for us....well written.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post

Preperation is key for us.

TWSS

+ Reply to Thread