+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Willie Roaf - 1st Ballot Hall of Fame?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Willie Roaf - 1st Ballot Hall of Fame?

2011 will be the first year Willie Roaf is eligible for enshrinement in Canton, but the competition will be tough.

Roaf's Resume
    New Orleans Saints (1993-2001)
    Kansas City Chiefs (2002-2005)
    11x Pro Bowl (94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 02, 03, 04, 05)
    6x First-team All-Pro (94, 95, 96, 03, 04, 05)
    3x Second-team All-Pro (97, 00, 02)
    8x All-Conference (94, 95, 96, 97, 99, 00, 04, 05)
    NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
    NFL 2000s All-Decade Team
    Started all 189 games he played in

First Ballot
    Willie Roaf
    Deion Sanders
    Marshall Faulk
    Jerome Bettis
    Curtis Martin
    Neil Smith
    Jimmy Smith

Previous Finalists
    Shannon Sharpe
    Cris Carter
    Andre Reed
    Tim Brown
    Dermontti Dawson
    Charles Haley
    Richard Dent
    Roger Craig
    Cortez Kennedy
    Terrell Davis
    Kevin Greene
    Aeneas Williams
    Chris Doleman
    Ray Guy
    Don Coryell
    Paul Tagliabue
    Art Modell

15 finalists will be announced in November, and before the Super Bowl, they will elect the new class of 4-7 inductees. Who will they be? Will Willie have to wait, and if so, how long?

I think the voters are usually biased towards offensive stats of QBs, RBs, and WRs making defensive players, offensive linemen, and special teams players severely under-represented in the Hall.

My Prediction
    Deion Sanders - no doubt
    1 of Faulk/Bettis/Martin... I'm going with Marshall Faulk.
    Willie Roaf - I hope!
    Shannon Sharpe - Should've been elected for 2010.
    1 of Brown/Carter/Reed... I'm going with Tim Brown.
    Maybe 1-2 old guys?

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Re: Willie Roaf - 1st Ballot Hall of Fame?

Willie's in on 1st ballot, no doubt about it.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brtransplant View Post
    Willie's in on 1st ballot, no doubt about it.

Given the competition, I agree. In my book there are not that many that outshine in this class. Of course being a lineman, he does not have the pub that folks like Deion, Faulk, and Bettis has and that may hurt him.

Oh, it is a crime that Ray Guy is not in the HoF. Simply the best punter ever. Sure, I am a Raiders fan, but he deserves it.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

True linemen don't get the publicity other positions get. But its hard to ignore a man who was the gold standard at his position for so long.

Willie Roaf gets the nod.

Champ SixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of light

I think the HOF voters put him through. They know his value and his character.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

I say Willie goes in in the 2011 class. That will tie Tech with LSU and give us one more than Arkansas and Ole Miss and 3 more than Mississippi State. Deion Sanders-most overrated NFL player ever.
    Last edited by DONW; 05-25-2010 at 10:45 AM.

Champ domangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond reputedomangue has a reputation beyond repute domangue's Avatar

I think what helps him is that he is the only OL (W/ Dermotti Dawson as a rethread)...

This is what hurts the cabal of rb's and wr's
    How in the world do you pick from Curtis Martin, Marshall Faulk, and Jerome Bettis.. and throw in Roger Craig??

It's sort of reminds of back in the day when Lynn Swann and John Stallworth kept splitting the wr vote for years and years and neither got in for a long time!

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Yes, I believe he is a first ballot hall of famer. 11 time pro bowler, and the only person to make the all decade team of the 90s and 00s. The only thing he is missing is a Superbowl ring.

I think Deion and Marshall Faulk (Louisiana native) will also go on the first ballot. Curtis Martin was great, but some called him "a disappointment" later in his career. Wilie's play never dropped off. Bettis was good, but probably not good enough to get in on the first ballot.

I think he will get it. Whenever he is voted in, I might try to make the trip to Canton for the enshrinement ceremony.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

There have only been 10 Offensive Linemen from the Modern Era enshrined as First Ballot Hall of Famers. Considering 5 of the 11 on offense are OL, that is very few.
    - Chuck Bednarik, C-LB
    - Forrest Gregg, T-G
    - Gene Upshaw, G
    - Jim Otto, C
    - Bruce Matthews, G-C-T
    - Jackie Slater, T
    - Jim Langer, C
    - Jim Parker, G-T
    - Anthony Munoz, T
    - John Hannah, G

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    Yes, I believe he is a first ballot hall of famer. 11 time pro bowler, and the only person to make the all decade team of the 90s and 00s. The only thing he is missing is a Superbowl ring.

I think Deion and Marshall Faulk (Louisiana native) will also go on the first ballot. Curtis Martin was great, but some called him "a disappointment" later in his career. Wilie's play never dropped off. Bettis was good, but probably not good enough to get in on the first ballot.

I think he will get it. Whenever he is voted in, I might try to make the trip to Canton for the enshrinement ceremony.
    Missing a Super Bowl ring is an understatement. In his 13 years in the NFL, Roaf's all-time playoff record is 1-2.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    There have only been 10 Offensive Linemen from the Modern Era enshrined as First Ballot Hall of Famers. Considering 5 of the 11 on offense are OL, that is very few.
    - Chuck Bednarik, C-LB
    - Forrest Gregg, T-G
    - Gene Upshaw, G
    - Jim Otto, C
    - Bruce Matthews, G-C-T
    - Jackie Slater, T
    - Jim Langer, C
    - Jim Parker, G-T
    - Anthony Munoz, T
    - John Hannah, G
    Just curious. How do you (they) define modern era? I'd think anybody who played both ways would not be modern era.

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Just curious. How do you (they) define modern era? I'd think anybody who played both ways would not be modern era.
    Pre-Modern Era
    Sammy Baugh (QB) 1937-1952
    Alex Wojciechowicz (C) 1938-1950
    Clyde (Bulldog) Turner (C) 1940-1952
    Tony Canadeo (HB) 1941-1944, 1946-1952
    Bill Dudley (HB) 1942, 1945-1951, 1953

Modern Era
    Bob Waterfield 1945-1952
    Marion Motley (FB) 1946-1953, 1955
    Otto Graham 1946-1955
    Dante Lavelli 1946-1956
    Elroy (Crazylegs) Hirsch (also HB) 1946-1956
    Bill Willis (MG) 1946-1953

It looks like they consider players who started their careers after World War II (1945) to be part of the Modern Era. The NFL also integrated in 1946, so that's probably the other reason for 1945-46 being the start of the Modern Era.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Pre-Modern Era
    Sammy Baugh (QB) 1937-1952
    Alex Wojciechowicz (C) 1938-1950
    Clyde (Bulldog) Turner (C) 1940-1952
    Tony Canadeo (HB) 1941-1944, 1946-1952
    Bill Dudley (HB) 1942, 1945-1951, 1953

Modern Era
    Bob Waterfield 1945-1952
    Marion Motley (FB) 1946-1953, 1955
    Otto Graham 1946-1955
    Dante Lavelli 1946-1956
    Elroy (Crazylegs) Hirsch (also HB) 1946-1956
    Bill Willis (MG) 1946-1953

It looks like they consider players who started their careers after World War II (1945) to be part of the Modern Era. The NFL also integrated in 1946, so that's probably the other reason for 1945-46 being the start of the Modern Era.
    Interesting. Sammy Baugh was still kicking arse 7 years into the modern era. He was a pre-modern era player as a QB, DB, Punter, and kicker (drop I believe).

If I were naming, I'd say the modern era started sometime in the 60's. The game has evolved since then, but that's when the passing game really became part of pro football.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brtransplant View Post
    Willie's in
    Quote Originally Posted by DONW
    I say Willie goes in
    twss.

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

The one thing that may help Willie get in on the first ballot is the popularity of the movie "Blind Side". It brought to the front the importance of the left offensive tackle. And the best offensive left tackle for 13+ years was Willie Roaf.

+ Reply to Thread